Start Times

MattMakesLoans

So none of our games have the same start time for second half of the season.  How much say does our A.D. have in our start times.

I get that the conference is trying to accommodate the networks, but can we opt out?  I'm sure at this point in the season, that's not an option. But was it ever an option?  Do the individual schools have any say in the start times?  Or do we hand that over to CUSA?

I'm not trying to re-start the overall debate of what's more important game day atmosphere vs. tv exposure.  The fans feel one way, the conference feels the other.  My question is do the individual schools have any actual say?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MattMakesLoans said:

So none of our games have the same start time for second half of the season.  How much say does our A.D. have in our start times.

I get that the conference is trying to accommodate the networks, but can we opt out?  I'm sure at this point in the season, that's not an option. But was it ever an option?  Do the individual schools have any say in the start times?  Or do we hand that over to CUSA?

I'm not trying to re-start the overall debate of what's more important game day atmosphere vs. tv exposure.  The fans feel one way, the conference feels the other.  My question is do the individual schools have any actual say?

Wren talked about this on the pregame show yesterday.   It sounded like it was mainly their decision when tv isn't involved.  He tries different game times to see what fans seem to like best. Yesterday was the first 1:00 home game of the Littrell era. 

• Upvote 1

I'll simplify it for him.

7:00 Kickoffs in September

6:00 Kickoffs in October

5:00 Kickoffs in November

You can't be disappointed by the fans not filling the stadium when you are letting the people in the caviar suites pick the game times. Our fan base was made by tailgating but the caviar and bonbon crowd has their party upstairs during the games.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 7

I loved that 1pm kickoff. We meet up at the square for some beers and pre-game. Headed  to the game and had some good ole day drinking with friends while watching the game. Post game headed to Oak St Tavern for some Noble Rey sour beers... Then had big ass bowl of Ramen on Carroll. 

I was still able to get home in Dallas before 9 and watch the PAC-12 games. 

Awesome day.

The night games get me home too late and make it hard to plan childcare. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

I've never had to drive an hour to get to the movie theater, freeze my ass off outside in the dark winter for a four hour movie .. then having to drive another hour home.

Our competition are night activities... Bars, movies, date nights. I mean, obviously I love dates at Apogee, but the people in this board are not the norm. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I always prefer the earlier start times unless it's in September when it's way too ridiculously hot.  It's a great feeling that I can enjoy half the day doing NT activities and still have most of the rest of the day and spend time with the family, friends etc.  Regardless of timing I'll still be there but given we have 6 home games a year and have a long time to plan these things I don't think start times should ever make a difference.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

Like Adler I believe our fan base needs time, like all day to get to these games. I do believe the afternoon. Games favor people with kids but even then if they are sporty I could see that inhibiting attendance.  We are not the Big 10 where the majority of fans are going to rise and shine and think football first.  There are just some givens that feel right:

michigan, Clemson and Ohio state at 11:00am

auburn, South Carolina and Alabama 2:30

LSU under the lights, Oregon at night

late night in Tucson 

Apogee has the right vibe once the sun goes down.

4p late November is the earliest a game should ever be played in that glorious winning stadium!

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Families with children have scheduling conflicts with anything before 4:00 on any Saturday: kids activities for school, scouts, sports, or birthday parties.

People also like to tailgate and these gamedays have become much more of an event than just a football game. Pregame is the only opportunity to revel with anyone other than the fans that are next to you in the game. Keep the games as late as feasible. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

17 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Families with children have scheduling conflicts with anything before 4:00 on any Saturday: kids activities for school, scouts, sports, or birthday parties.

People also like to tailgate and these gamedays have become much more of an event than just a football game. Pregame is the only opportunity to revel with anyone other than the fans that are next to you in the game. Keep the games as late as feasible. 

I get that but there are 6 games a year and we generally know the times of those games weeks/months in advance.  This stuff can be planned early without ever needing to miss going to Apogee.  That said like anything else things can come up suddenly as life happens but that's ok that can and does happen anywhere and everywhere else too.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

9 hours ago, ADLER said:

Our fan base was made by tailgating but the caviar and bonbon crowd has their party upstairs during the games.

There's a HUGE caviar and bonbon crowd tailgate at every game.  The guys who put it together get there really early for the perennial smoked ribs.  On well attended days, there are generally a couple hundred people at it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I think this thread is proving out why we have a variety of start times. 

Yes! All families with kids aren't involved in the same activities. Little kids soccer is mostly done before 11:30am unless they are dealing with rain make up games. And those with little kids - under 6 - mostly want to be home by 7:30 or 8. As kids get older, activities change and with junior high kids their activities seem to be late afternoon/evening. 

There is no "ideal time" for games, none! If someone is looking for an excuse not to go, they can find one. 

• Upvote 1

I like afternoon games, but it seems like the later start times of 5 or 6 are our best shot for maximizing attendance.  Late enough to avoid most children activities,  early enough that students can go to game and still go out after (not that a later game would stop them).

Edited by meangreanmick

It is my understanding that our AD department can recommend or schedule times.  Our HC would play every game at 11am if it were up to him.  Hard to keep kids involved waiting around all day waiting for a game.  AD department would prefer later times to accommodate our fans.

Saturday showed that most of our fan base are TRUE fair weather fans!  Disappointed in our turnout for a very GOOD football team.  We have to do better as a fan base.  We need to show up no matter the time or weather.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, DT 90 said:

Tailgating.... Not important!  Ball game.. Important! 

It's that simple!

I'm usually with you on most things, but not this.  At North Texas the tailgate scene is definitely important.  The more we keep winning, the less important other reasons to attend a game become.  We've got a long way to go as a program before that's the case though.

I will agree with the sentiment that the game is the MOST IMPORTANT thing though!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, ntsumck said:

It is my understanding that our AD department can recommend or schedule times.  Our HC would play every game at 11am if it were up to him.  Hard to keep kids involved waiting around all day waiting for a game.  AD department would prefer later times to accommodate our fans.

Saturday showed that most of our fan base are TRUE fair weather fans!  Disappointed in our turnout for a very GOOD football team.  We have to do better as a fan base.  We need to show up no matter the time or weather.

Welcome to gomeangreen.com, home of the most die-hard Mean Green fans!

the-choir.jpg

• Lovely Take 1

I dont really care what time the game is just as long as its on a Saturday and not a Thursday! This weekend, My kid had a soccer game at 11 which was canceled.....Thank God!! So i was able to get to the game in plenty of time to watch the Butt whoopin occur.

I prefer games after 3 but Absolutely HATE, Thursday Night Games

• Upvote 1