DRC: Baker appeals to fans after dismal attendance for win over Southern Miss

Brett Vito

7 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

WB wasn’t talking to those who had to travel.  He’s talking to the Dentonites and locals, including the students.

Rick

Even Dentonites and students who normally come out can have other priorities. 
It's not up to Baker to have a number in mind and call out fans for not coming if his ideal # is not met.
He needs to chalk it up to bad luck & move on.
Be profusely thankful for those who DID show up though.

And for those who chose not to come, they missed out on what I would consider the most ideal weather conditions for a football game.  It was just beautiful weather during the game.  They also, sadly, missed one of the most dominating defensive performances I've seen from the Mean Green (SMU game earlier would be, but the late-4th-quarter mental lapses by the 2nd/3rd stringers spoiled it).

• Lovely Take 2

19 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Even Dentonites and students who normally come out can have other priorities. 
It's not up to Baker to have a number in mind and call out fans for not coming if his ideal # is not met.
He needs to chalk it up to bad luck & move on.
Be profusely thankful for those who DID show up though.

And for those who chose not to come, they missed out on what I would consider the most ideal weather conditions for a football game.  It was just beautiful weather during the game.  They also, sadly, missed one of the most dominating defensive performances I've seen from the Mean Green (SMU game earlier would be, but the late-4th-quarter mental lapses by the 2nd/3rd stringers spoiled it).

I guess your right.  WB needs to understand that there’s just too many excuses to counter and he needs to better understand what level of wussification he’s dealing with.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 7

2 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Damn him for being in the box smoozing donors.

Wait, he's on the field?

Damn him for not being in the box smoozing donors.

He could probably be more effective if he spent his sideline time interacting with fans. What does he accomplish standing on the field?

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

I guess your right.  WB needs to understand that there’s just too many excuses to counter and he needs to better understand what level of wussification he’s dealing with.

Rick

Again, 
You're on GMG.com.  I was there.  Many of us on here were also there.
The casual fans... which, based on years and years of losing football (including two 1-11 seasons in the past 10 years), are a vast majority... may or may not.
And no one is on here representing them, so I figured I'd play a little Devils Advocate. 
Because, those same casual fans are on Twitter & can see what Wren Baker says there.

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

With technology what it is today, people have a radar in their hand via the cell phone, and if they would use that technology, they would have seen that the weather was going to clear.  I understand what you are saying, but people have the ability to stay up to date with the weather. 

I'm right there with you.  I was bugging my group all morning trying to get them to actually look at the radar with future sims running and not just read the hour by hour forecast (which just said ~50% rain all day).  They were just not having it.  When 1pm rolled around, I sent them all a bunch of 'told you so' texts and actually got a couple who live in the area to make it by halftime.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how much technology you have access to.  Weather like that tends to put people into "slumber" mode and once you've made up your mind that you're in for a day of indoor activities it's hard to switch back.  

I was getting hollered at by my wife on the drive up while tornado warnings were being broadcast over the radio.  Never mind that they were for Hico/Hamilton (at the time) and on a trajectory to move through south of Dallas.  Just the fact that tornado weather was somewhere in the REGION made her uneasy.

All that to say, the weather really sucked right up to the original kickoff.  It happens.  It will happen again.  Move on and hope for better weather and a better turnout next game.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

DFW fans are the softest bunch of front running fans in the country.  Except for the luxury confines of the Dallas Cowboys every sports team not in the middle of serious run at Championship contention doesn't sellout.  Now I can say that as a fan who was there in the rain and have been in worse supporting Mean Green Football the AD should not do it in non-alumni company.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Dear Wren,

Please take the high road.
115024-M.jpg

Thank you.

Sincerely,
People who don't want to see you shoot yourself in the foot.

I'm not really sure he was going over the top with things. He did answer the question. If I were to critique the situation, I think Wren should have left out the rain gear and going up to the suite level to greet guests response part of the tweet. But an AD that engages with the fans shows that he is going above and beyond the BASIC job description. 

A few people on here thought he sat up in a box during the games and after it was pointed out that he is standing on sidelines, we all have that much more respect that he is doing his job the way a successful/passionate AD should be doing it. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I'm not really sure he was going over the top with things. He did answer the question. If I were to critique the situation, I think Wren should have left out the rain gear and going up to the suite level to greet guests response part of the tweet. But an AD that engages with the fans shows that he is going above and beyond the BASIC job description. 

A few people on here thought he sat up in a box during the games and after it was pointed out that he is standing on sidelines, we all have that much more respect that he is doing his job the way a successful/passionate AD should be doing it. 

The posture was defensive though because of the original accusation.  
He should shrug that stuff off.  He knows the truth.  Let others insinuate whatever they want.  He doesn't have to defend himself on twitter.  That's not the high road.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Again, 
You're on GMG.com.  I was there.  Many of us on here were also there.
The casual fans... which, based on years and years of losing football (including two 1-11 seasons in the past 10 years), are a vast majority... may or may not.
And no one is on here representing them, so I figured I'd play a little Devils Advocate. 
Because, those same casual fans are on Twitter & can see what Wren Baker says there.

I hear you but the Dallas Cowboys have the same number of post season wins since 2000 as the Mean Green do.  Moreover it very obvious to anyone who follows the team that Jerry's Ego and Pocket book comes before trying to win.   90% of the traditional Undergraduates weren't born when the Cowboys last won big.  And only people in their late 20s can even remember the early 90s Cowboys.  How many Cowboys fans who are UNT Alumni do you guess were at Jerry World yesterday paying premium to see a mediocre team try to reach 0.500?  I would guess more than were at Apogee Saturday.  That is pathetic.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Part of the problem is the weather people.  Every storm will be the worst then the one before.  They scare people into staying home.  I am not saying the fans that didn't show up are bad.  They took all the storm warnings to heart.   If you were not down south of DFW the weather was just some rain, some lightning, and thunder that did move away for the game. The problem was that the storm moved from east to west so the Dallas people were seeing the worst of the storm when it had already cleared Denton. We sold 18k tickets for the game and we did not have the student body in force and not many walk-ups if any.

I think we bounce back for Rice because of homecoming and we are down to two home games.  The crowds have been better this year so I think we are going in the right direction.  FAU on a Thursday night I am not sure about.  At least we don't have the Thanksgiving weekend game here.  That would really kill our attendance numbers.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not to mention... this is his occupation.  He is very much EXPECTED to be present, rain or shine, as he his handsomely compensated.    Fans PAY money to come out and watch.

So when the “easy for you to say, you sit in a luxury box” argument falls flat on its face we pivot and go with “but you get paid to be there”?   Got it.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

In any aspect where NT needs more support, it is never the right idea to sweep it under the rug, and it is always the right idea to get the message out. Though in this case, the message would be stronger if you show a picture of a big program with a lot of people out even with weather complications. I don't recall if there was such a situation yesterday. If so, you would want to also put that out there as a contrast and say something like, 'we can be as good as this program, but it means we have to act like them'.

Arkansas had over 51K in Little Rock Saturday in a downpour.  They have won 1 game this season

44 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

So when the “easy for you to say, you sit in a luxury box” argument falls flat on its face we pivot and go with “but you get paid to be there”?   Got it.  

Well, the first was never my argument... so no pivot here.

He defensively responded to someone else accusing him of that.   To me, I don't care where he is in the stadium.   In the Press Box, on the field, manning a camera, drum majoring, in the Scrappy costume... I don't care.   He's the AD.  He's paid to be there... period.   
Fans are not.  Fans PAY to go, and if they deem the weather or any other myriad of reasons why they can't show up is a good enough reason for them, then that's their prerogative.

4 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

nice so it wasn't a downpour

Did you not watch the game on TV?  What are you trying to prove with your argument?  It was raining and their fans showed up.  It was raining in Denton and our fans base bailed for the most part.  Someone  earlier in this thread asked for proof of fans showing in bad weather.  I watched the game when I got home so I knew of one, so I replied.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ntsumck said:

Did you not watch the game on TV?  What are you trying to prove with your argument?  It was raining and their fans showed up.  It was raining in Denton and our fans base bailed for the most part.  Someone  earlier in this thread asked for proof of fans showing in bad weather.  I watched the game when I got home so I knew of one, so I replied.

I could not see the trees in my back yard at noon Saturday it was raining so hard. It is also quite a different market than DFW.

Mostly I am tired of the bitching about it, it changes nothing period and it starts to over shadow that we had a good win.

That are 6-1.