DRC: Baker appeals to fans after dismal attendance for win over Southern Miss

Brett Vito

8 hours ago, meangreanmick said:

“why can I still not buy a UNT branded yeti.  That have schools I have never heard of as options.  When I called yeti they said we have to talk to UNT.”

I actually have a Yeti with the stylized Eagle on it. Wife bought it for me for my birthday.  However, the Eagle is a big sticker. Nicely done and looks great!  However, it is not “molded” into the manufacturing process like the UTs and A & Ms of the world.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

Do you read the other posts Ben? Or are you too busy admiring your own. Several posters verified he stands on the sideline every game. He’s right in front of my seat for the most part. Criticize for the tweet if you’d like but saying the point isn’t fair because he’s in some kind of an ivory tower is ridiculous and untrue. Maybe you can go back to firing all our defensive coaches you hated so much last year. Never mind, it’s the offensive coaches this year.

It is the offense this year...if we want to be legit. Is it not? 

And I don't gps track WB. But he still has the choice to go and move about how he pleases, unlike the average fan. 

And tip of the hat to the D. They are playing better this year, obviously. 

• Upvote 1

Activate the FC Dallas reuse ticket policy. If I miss an FCD game I can reactivate that ticket for a nominal fee. In our case charge for the reactivation of an eagle wing seat and bolster a future game’s attendance. 

I was overseas but implored my ticket takers to please make it to the game. Do not under any circumstances let these seats sit empty. I will check on you from Asia and may even require a Facebook live drop in. 

Then I learned it was a 1p game. Ughhhh please wake up early enough and don’t get lazy watching game day and drinking coffee.  

Then I saw the radars in North Texas and knew I was doomed to get those free seats filled. 

1. I have chalked this up to an act of God.  The hurricane literally roared until game time in the Section of the city the family was traveling from. 

2. I agree with WB in calling it out.  There are no shortcuts to greatness, is one of my messages to hotels striving for Five Stars. There is no penalty for overachievement is another. The best and fastest way to get to where we desire to be is by calling it out honestly. 

His next tweet should be positive, reinforcing and challenging - time to cook the rice.

GMG

• Thanks 1

I stayed home. Pouring rain, lightning and a tornado warning were happening when I would have needed to leave for the game. A tornado ended up hitting Waxahachie HS a few miles from my house. 

I wanted to be at the game but getting in the car and driving through that with my wife and kids would have been dumb. I regret nothing Wren Baker. Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, wardly said:

Have tried to make it to most home games and a few away since 1961, so your assumption is wrong, as was mine about Baker. I assumed WB was in his suite smoozing  donors, and  have never looked for him on the sidelines. So is he coaching or what?

Damn him for being in the box smoozing donors.

Wait, he's on the field?

Damn him for not being in the box smoozing donors.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

Most people do not prioritize Mean Green Football over heavy rains.

Some people do.  

My family & I were there.   I don't care if other families decided not to come.  That's their decision.

We were just unlucky that Saturday was awfully forecasted & soggy.  It happens.   

We DEFINITELY don't need to try and shame any fans for not coming out.  That's how you turn people off your program.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, Green Mean said:

We've had reason to gripe about NT athletics, teams, fans, administration etc for various things over the years and for many decades but yesterday was not the one that needed to be called out.  We've had really solid attendance and I don't expect anything different for Rice in a couple of weeks and it may very well be the first true sellout in Apogee's history.

The Rice game is going to be a sellout. And if I'm wrong, we're shy a couple hundred or threat of bad weather happens again. I'd be willing to bet we see our first sellout 10/27 though. 

I didn't go to the game. Bought tickets and everything but was apartment shopping all morning in the monsoon and decided to watch it at home.

Bummed I missed a great game in person, but still supported via my wallet/ESPN3.

People will start attending these games when we're at Boise St's level of success. Average 8-10 wins for the next 10 years and people will come rain or shine. Until then, it's gonna be an issue when inclement weather hits. I should've been there, no excuses, but I can see why others wouldn't show up. It's a culture problem.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Screenshot_20181015-081109_Twitter.jpg

See....this is what I'm talking about.

Someone is going to take his tweet personally (which I did not by the way) and now there's potential for our AD to get in a twitter spat that does nothing positive for the program...

Again: Was he correct? YES      Was Twitter the right place to take his opinion? NO

I just don't like having this discussion out in public. The potential negative far outweighs the positive.

I hope he lets it go and moves on to Rice (which could be the third attendance record broken in the past five games btw)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

Do you read the other posts Ben? Or are you too busy admiring your own. Several posters verified he stands on the sideline every game. He’s right in front of my seat for the most part. Criticize for the tweet if you’d like but saying the point isn’t fair because he’s in some kind of an ivory tower is ridiculous and untrue. Maybe you can go back to firing all our defensive coaches you hated so much last year. Never mind, it’s the offensive coaches this year.

Okay so we got it. Wren is on the sidelines being a trooper and watching the game among the coaches and players. But what about his guests and what type of game-day experience they would have? Or his family? Are they asked to be potentially soaked or to wait out expected long lightning delays? The weather cleared literally less than an hour before the game. I was one of those guys that said I would just watch it on TV since I had something to do in Dallas at 5 anyway. When I looked at the radar at roughly 1pm I saw the storm drifted to the east. Called a friend and made it to the stadium by the start of the second quarter. But like others said, I could easily have stayed home as well and I imagine plenty of other people were in that situation.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

I stayed home. Pouring rain, lightning and a tornado warning were happening when I would have needed to leave for the game. A tornado ended up hitting Waxahachie HS a few miles from my house. 

I wanted to be at the game but getting in the car and driving through that with my wife and kids would have been dumb. I regret nothing Wren Baker. Go Mean Green!

He’s not talking to YOU dude.  

Does no one get that?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

Okay so we got it. Wren is on the sidelines being a trooper and watching the game among the coaches and players. But what about his guests and what type of game-day experience they would have? Or his family? Are they asked to be potentially soaked or to wait out expected long lightning delays? The weather cleared literally less than an hour before the game. I was one of those guys that said I would just watch it on TV since I had something to do in Dallas at 5 anyway. When I looked at the radar at roughly 1pm I saw the storm drifted to the east. Called a friend and made it to the stadium by the start of the second quarter. But like others said, I could easily have stayed home as well and I imagine plenty of other people were in that situation.

Not to mention... this is his occupation.  He is very much EXPECTED to be present, rain or shine, as he his handsomely compensated.    Fans PAY money to come out and watch.

• Thanks 1

You guys have to remember that those of us who visit this board are bought in. We see the improvement and are excited about the prospect of what this program can be.

However, many of the fans who help fill Apogee will be more reactionary to success than visionary in anticipating success. This stuff takes time. This fan base is still learning. Can you really blame them? How awful was this program just a few years back?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

10 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Apparently not. The is the exact point TCE is making. 

Do you get that?

WB wasn’t talking to those who had to travel.  He’s talking to the Dentonites and locals, including the students.

Edit:  I missed TCE’s post.  Still, it doesn’t bother me.  WB is right.  Sure, his tweet might rub someone the wrong way.  But I t would no matter what he says or how he says it because we have so many sensitive Nancy’s around here.  

Rain or shine,...if you can be there be there.  If you live within walking distance..there’s no excuse.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

WB wasn’t talking to those who had to travel.  He’s talking to the Dentonites and locals, including the students.

Rick

I get that. 
His post  on Twitter was broadcast to everyone with Twitter on their phones and then via DRC. TCE's point is that the optics is not good and it makes people defensive and feel like telling WB to shut the hell up. Even if he wasn't talking about their situation... 
Even the responses within this thread, between die hards, proves that point to be true.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I get that. 
His posted on on Twitter was broadcast to everyone with Twitter on their phones and then via DRC. TCE's point is that the optics is not good and it makes people defensive and feel like telling WB to shut the hell up. Even if he wasn't talking about their situation... 
Even the responses within this thread, between die hards, proves that point to be true.

See my edit.