Top 25?

TexHammer1983

There were a few ranked teams that lost to unranked teams this weekend. And a few ranked teams losing to lower ranked teams. Any chance we now see 6-1 UNT sneak into the top 25? My guess is no. However, I think if we manage to knock off UAB next weekend, we will finally crack the top 25. Any thoughts or insights? I defer to all of your judgements/knowledge of the system. 

Go Mean Green!!!

• Skeptical Eagle 3
  • Downvote 1

Wow. I didn't realize it was that bleak. I was really thinking going into the La Tech game, that if we'd snuck out of that one with a W and been 5-0, we'd have cracked the top 25. I know last week's W at UTEP was not terribly awe-inspiring. Kinda sad. I just keep desperately hoping to see UNT in the top 25 on Monday mornings. That would/will be a pretty cool moment.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TexHammer1983 said:

Wow. I didn't realize it was that bleak. I was really thinking going into the La Tech game, that if we'd snuck out of that one with a W and been 5-0, we'd have cracked the top 25. I know last week's W at UTEP was not terribly awe-inspiring. Kinda sad. I just keep desperately hoping to see UNT in the top 25 on Monday mornings. That would/will be a pretty cool moment.

if you are a G5 team, there is a BIG difference to the voters between undefeated and 1 loss

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, TexHammer1983 said:

Yes, had we won that game and were 7-0, I wouldn't be surprised if we were ranked after today's win. Unfortunately for G5 teams, there is no such thing as a "quality loss" like there is for P5 conferences. No benefit of the doubt is given for G5 teams.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the board!

UNT will get votes this week. But nowhere near enough to actually crack the ranking. Think like 2-5 votes or so.

Doesn't help that all the G5 teams who were in there won (even though several were doing it ugly). So all the teams leaving will be P5s, and there is a number of voters who would never put 5 or more G5s on their ballot, no matter what happens elsewhere.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

I appreciate the info/responses. This is the first year I've actually felt like top 25 was within the realm of possibility. The top 25 has never mattered to me because I knew my team was never a possibility. For that reason, I've never paid much attention to it. Thank y'all for your insights/knowledge. 

• Downvote 1

There are a few teams outside the Power Leagues that might get the benefit of the doubt for a loss and get in the top 25 at 6-1, but it's kinda rare.  A Boise State can - even now they're given more leeway even though they've fallen from the elite for the last 4-5 seasons.  UCF made it really high in the rankings a few years ago with one loss (I am not referring to last year when they went undefeated) and beat Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl.

Usually though, the little guy has to be undefeated to get much respect.

• Upvote 2

Prior to the LA Tech game we were in the low to mid thirties with some top 25 votes. Had we won that game we'd gone top 25. Now with that loss, we have little to no chance of a ranking even if we go undefeated. They'll rank you with a weak schedule but you have to win all your games. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Are we a top 25 team? No. Are we capable of being a top 25 yes.

Learning how to win consistently is something that happens gradually. I honestly don't think we crack the top 25 until next season (assuming we make us much noise next year as we are making now, if not more)

To me, the first two years of Littrell were us (coaches, players, and fans) realizing how good we can really be (and the rest of the conference realizing it too). Now we are in a situation where we're good and everybody knows we're good. Good programs have learned how to take a punch in the face and still come out on top. Each week, we're getting our opponents best shot. What we are seeing as fans, what the staff is seeing as coaches, and what the players are seeing on the field, is what its like to be the top dog. We have a target on our back and everybody we've played (especially in conference) is aiming for a bull's eye.    

Another thing we should ask ourselves is do we have top 25 talent? I would most definitely say yes at the skills positions. Not sure about our OL/DL. 

Do we have a top 25 coaching staff? I would say yes. There is definitely room to improve and I believe they have been every week.

Do we have a top 25 fan base? I say yes. I wish everyone had the enthusiasm of GMG.com board members, but I understand we're not there yet. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, agw0038 said:

Another thing we should ask ourselves is do we have top 25 talent? I would most definitely say yes at the skills positions. Not sure about our OL/DL. 

Getting there.   And with the incoming 2019 class, we're looking very good for the future as well.

As far as DL talent... I think so.   Remember, we play a 3-man front.   So having Young/Tauaalo/Hamilton, then Colvin/English/Novil... I think that is a very good 2-deep.    OL & CB (outside of Brooks) is where we are lacking.   But we hit the defensive backfield pretty hard in the 2018 class, and the 2019 class has some help there too, so hopefully the struggles at CB will be a little less next year (although Brooks & Hall both graduate, so we may be in trouble).

• Upvote 1

On 10/14/2018 at 12:09 AM, TexHammer1983 said:

We are currently 43rd in the coaches poll and have not received any votes in the AP poll that only has enough teams that received votes to get to 39th.  So we're somewhere north of 39th in AP land which is fairly consistent with the Coaches assessment of where we are.  I feel if we win this weekend and get to 10-1 we might sniff #24 or #25.  If we finish 11-1 and win the conference then we will be in the top 25, but probably too much to worry about right now.  Need to take care of business Saturday.

• Upvote 3