UTSA’s new Cannon is ferocious we should fear them

Legend500

7 hours ago, Moobs said:

I got y’all. I was able to screen capture it and upload it to YouTube. Prepare to be amazed!

What the sh*t is this? Is it made of balsa wood? I’ve seen better woodworking at a blind Cub Scout pack’s pinewood derby. I’m offended at the use of cannon. Allow me to show a cannon...

5B5E7929-110F-4559-B475-C45396F65B17.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

10 hours ago, Moobs said:

I got y’all. I was able to screen capture it and upload it to YouTube. Prepare to be amazed!

This is a textbook self inflicted wound. Bad leadership @ UTSA. 

Our students should either steal that ugly thing, or build a replica of it, and then throw it on our Homecoming Bonfire and burn it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m so embarrassed for them I almost want to reach out to someone down there to help out.  I won’t of course,....but good lord, historic weaponry is sort of one of my things and I can’t help it.  For about $6,000-$10,000 they could have something so much nicer.

9B1C48F2-92C5-44B6-850F-F9580C13BC12.png.f2f910eba1f9b5a005e9ae0e3c2b30aa.png

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

Wow....

so I figured it out... UTSA wanted a cannon.  Surely they looked at ours, or several other schools that fire muzzle loaded guns.   But here's the catch with them.  They don't own the Alamodome.  So I'm betting Alamodome ( which I assume is owned by City of San Antonio...) said "No Way" to a muzzle loading replica in their house.  But, they probably would allow a controlled pyrotechnic type of device. (aka "the box") And I'm guessing that the wire and "cork" in the muzzle is a small connected charge that's supposed to flash when the main charge goes off, so they get a little bit of flame/smoke out the muzzle.   But, alas, misfire...

The Cannon... Really UTSA? You're not even trying.  It's 4 picnic tabletops for wheels and about 50 pressure treated 4x4s.  It's made of wood, but holy crap it probably weighs more than Boomer.  And since the barrel isn't functional, I'm guessing it's just faux looking,  like made out of paper mache or something.  I mean , can't you at least paint the barrel black?..

Scrap the cannon.   Just have the  "touchdown box" that goes Boom.  Seems like a lot of trouble for something, that literally does, well, nothing.   

Edited by trud1966
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

Prototype:

giphy.gif

Plans for an upgrade:

giphy.gif

Testing:

giphy.gif

Ready:

giphy.gif

The really sad part is these are all better cannons they actually function. 

The birds have a decoration and better choice would be not to have it at all. 

And do something original with what they have to work with, looks more like a bird nest bomb. 

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I’m so embarrassed for them I almost want to reach out to someone down there to help out.  I won’t of course,....but good lord, historic weaponry is sort of one of my things and I can’t help it.  For about $6,000-$10,000 they could have something so much nicer.

9B1C48F2-92C5-44B6-850F-F9580C13BC12.png.f2f910eba1f9b5a005e9ae0e3c2b30aa.png

Rick

Beyond maintenance, is that really how little those cost?? Wow.

• Upvote 1