CUSA Officials

southsideguy

17 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Can we send the CUSA refs back to PEE WEE football and pick up some good middle school officials.  Some terrible calls and when we learn about the unsportsmanlike celebrations.  I saw the one on the sack and it was a bad call, not near the sacked qb and they did high five in a different way.  Gave SM a first down instead of a sack for a big loss.  Go to the sidelines and do the celebrating.  

5 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I agree. It looked like the defender knocked the ball loose in Mason’s hand before the arm went forward. 

My concern was it was a change in possession that they did not review. It was clearly worth a review in the last two minutes of a half. 

21 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Another terrible mistake...officiating wise,..was inadvertent whistling the play dead on the “defensive off sides” on that extra point, forcing us to re-kick.  You just don’t do that.  Pee Wee level move there.

And on the mystery forward fumble.  If the defensive player did indeed hit the ball hard enough to travel that far then the ball’s flight defied the laws of physics because that player was zooming by in the opposite direction.

Rick

20 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I was really confused by that.  I always thought defensive off sides was a free play. But CUSA ref'd. 

NCAA are cracking down on the offside call as a dead ball instead of a live ball to protect quarterbacks standing there like a sitting duck while often times the linemen that jumped can't hear the whistle. There is not much consistency to it, but they're trying to make an effort at it. 

30 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

NCAA are cracking down on the offside call as a dead ball instead of a live ball to protect quarterbacks standing there like a sitting duck while often times the linemen that jumped can't hear the whistle. There is not much consistency to it, but they're trying to make an effort at it. 

In this case, for our QB to be in jeopardy, the defender would have had to have been running unabated toward the UNT sideline.  

My daughter and I went to the game and right before kick off she very excitedly exclaims "I didn't know girls could be referees." She then pointed to the sideline judge, it was a woman. I am glad she was able to see that example. It made here like the game even more. 

Just wanted to throw this in here.

GMG!

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

15 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It is pretty consistent. It is very situational though:

They are not going to let a blatant defensive off-sides go on an extra point or a field goal.  Defender blocks the kicks and the sh8t show starts.  They kill it before it gets started.

The defender jumps and induces the nearest o-lineman to react, they will kill it.

The defender has a clean shot to the QB, they will kill it.

The defender jumps, offense does not react, defender tries to get back and is caught by the snap in the neutral zone,  there is you free play.    This is 95% of the time in the interior of the line.

Edited by DT 90

1 minute ago, DT 90 said:

It is pretty consistent. It is very situational though:

They are not going to let a blatant defensive off-sides go on an extra point or a field goal.  Defender blocks the kicks and the sh8t show starts.  They kill it before it gets started.

The defender jumps and induces the nearest o-lineman to react, they will kill it.

The defender has a clean shot to the QB, they will kill it.

The defender jumps, offense does not react, defender tries to get back and is caught by the snap in the neutral zone,  there is you free play.    The is 95% of the time in the interior of the line.

Yeah I understand the rule. You just made it clearer for the people that were confused a bit by the dead whistle. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NTFan11 said:

My daughter and I went to the game and right before kick off she very excitedly exclaims "I didn't know girls could be referees." She then pointed to the sideline judge, it was a woman. I am glad she was able to see that example. It made here like the game even more. 

Just wanted to throw this in here.

GMG!

If she is dedicated to craft the sky is the limit for a female official in any sport.  They are desperately trying to be inclusive.   One of the last great bastions of the "boys club".

On 10/13/2018 at 8:38 PM, FirefightnRick said:

And on the mystery forward fumble.  If the defensive player did indeed hit the ball hard enough to travel that far then the ball’s flight defied the laws of physics because that player was zooming by in the opposite direction.

Rick

No Rick, the refs determine the physics conditions before the game.  They make the laws of physics for the game.