UAB

Big Z

But at a glance they seem to be scoring like we used to most of September.  I like our chances with the promising run showing today though.  Could be another shootout.

Congrats Mean Green! 

Beat UAB.

Go Mean Green!!!!!

• Upvote 1

UAB's defense: #1 in pass defense in CUSA (134.8 yds per game... good lord), #6 in Rushing defense in CUSA (149. 0 yds per game) 

UAB's offense: #11 in pass offense in CUSA (202.7 yards per game), #2 in rushing offense (232.7 yds per game) 

We rank 3rd in rushing defense so I like that aspect of our defense overtaking their offense buuuut they also have the #1 pass defense and we have the #1 pass offense... I think we'll need to get the run game going like we did today but earlier in the game. Hopefully that will set up the passing game. 

Source: http://conferenceusa.com/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2018&

Edited by meangreen2016
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, meangreen2016 said:

UAB's defense: #1 in pass defense in CUSA (134.8 yds per game... good lord), #6 in Rushing defense in CUSA (149. 0 yds per game) 

UAB's offense: #11 in pass offense in CUSA (202.7 yards per game), #2 in rushing offense (232.7 yds per game) 

We rank 3rd in rushing defense so I like that aspect of our defense overtaking their offense buuuut they also have the #1 pass defense and we have the #1 pass offense... I think we'll need to get the run game going like we did today but earlier in the game. Hopefully that will set up the passing game. 

Source: http://conferenceusa.com/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2018&

I’m particularly worried about their pass rush, and their seniority.

28 minutes ago, Silent Eagle said:

So, all CUSA defenses are top 8?

All 14 of them, yes

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

UAB has drilled people. They have one weird bad loss to Coastal Carolina... otherwise, they've beaten Tulane and blown the doors off everyone else they played. Buckle up. They're legit. 

Bill Clark is a great coach. This should be a hell of a football game next Saturday. Gonna need a complete game from the Mean Green to take them out on the road. UAB has my respect. 

2 hours ago, NM Green said:

But at a glance they seem to be scoring like we used to most of September.  I like our chances with the promising run showing today though.  Could be another shootout.

Congrats Mean Green! 

Beat UAB.

Go Mean Green!!!!!

Took way too long to get that going though

• Upvote 2

I'm having a hard time understanding the hype around UAB. I remember when the Seattle Seahawks had the legion of boom a few years ago, teams were winless the week after playing Seattle due to the physical beat down they would take against Seattle. In college I wouldn't surprised if the same was true for G5 when playing P5 teams. UAB has yet to play a P5 and won't play one until Texas A&M in a bit over a month. They are most likely benefiting from not having the injuries that tend to follow a game against most P5s but this might hurt them late in the season during that final push to the finish line.

For those who don't know, their wins are against 2-4 Tulane by 7, 3-3 Charlotte, 1-6 Rice, 1-5 Savannah State, and a good win against 4-2 La Tech after they played a physically and emotionally draining game against UNT. They got beat down by 3-3 Coastal who just joined FBS a few years ago. I see other threads mention quality losses don't exist for G5s but I'll take a 2 point loss to La Tech over a 23 point loss to Coastal.

Also, when talking about UAB's statistical rankings, take into consideration who they've played. 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

@GMG_Dallas all good points. After I posted my comment about the stats I went back and looked through their schedule. They definitely haven’t played the best teams. It seems like the only decent offense that they’ve played was coastal Carolina and they got smoked. Seriously. Go look back at all of the teams they’ve played and none of them have any sort of explosive offense. 

Although I would argue we have a 3 point win against a lowly UTEP team which doesn’t look awesome, but to your other point it was after an emotional game for us. 

All that to say, I think we’re the better team. If we don’t choke like we did against La tech, the offense gets into a rhythm early and doesn’t let up I feel confident UNT wins. Who knows, maybe UAB comes out with their hair on fire and completely proves me wrong. 

21 minutes ago, meangreen2016 said:

Although I would argue we have a 3 point win against a lowly UTEP team which doesn’t look awesome, but to your other point it was after an emotional game for us. 

I'm not upset about this. USF had to rally back to beat 1-5 Tulsa by 1 in the final seconds the other day but all that matters is that USF is undefeated. You can also look at last second wins P5s have pulled out such as Miami vs 3-3 Florida State by 1 or Clemson vs Syracuse (yes against P5s but Miami and Clemson have been ranked through out the year so the gap is similar).

Close games happen they just can't be the norm. If we get back to 20 point wins like today, UTEP's win will only be looked at as a win.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm having a hard time understanding the hype around UAB. I remember when the Seattle Seahawks had the legion of boom a few years ago, teams were winless the week after playing Seattle due to the physical beat down they would take against Seattle. In college I wouldn't surprised if the same was true for G5 when playing P5 teams. UAB has yet to play a P5 and won't play one until Texas A&M in a bit over a month. They are most likely benefiting from not having the injuries that tend to follow a game against most P5s but this might hurt them late in the season during that final push to the finish line.

For those who don't know, their wins are against 2-4 Tulane by 7, 3-3 Charlotte, 1-6 Rice, 1-5 Savannah State, and a good win against 4-2 La Tech after they played a physically and emotionally draining game against UNT. They got beat down by 3-3 Coastal who just joined FBS a few years ago. I see other threads mention quality losses don't exist for G5s but I'll take a 2 point loss to La Tech over a 23 point loss to Coastal.

Also, when talking about UAB's statistical rankings, take into consideration who they've played. 

Lots of seniors. LOTS. I put more weight into their 3 most recent games, rather than just a blanket judgement that includes the entire schedule.  They have beaten the last three teams by a combined score of 98-14.

so this really depends on whether you think they are that good, or those other teams were that bad.  I tend to lean towards the former.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Lots of seniors. LOTS. I put more weight into their 3 most recent games, rather than just a blanket judgement that includes the entire schedule.  They have beaten the last three teams by a combined score of 98-14.

so this really depends on whether you think they are that good, or those other teams were that bad.  I tend to lean towards the former.

I understand your point but I think disregarding the first 3 games of the season after only playing 6 is being selective and negligent. In our case, we've had 2 of our best players lost to injury (1 for the year) so it makes sense to look at the team differently post La Tech. Unless UAB had a major contributor not make his debut until Charlotte, it's the same team that got blown out by C. Carolina and squeaked by Tulane. Charlotte is nothing special, La Tech was coming off a physical and emotional win against us, and Rice is 1-6; those are the 3 games that you are choosing to use as an indication of their play. I guess we'll find out next week who they are. I think they'll be tough but I see a vulnerable team who probably thinks they're the clear favorite to win the division. 

By the way, their QB had 55% completion, 5 TDs, 5 INTs, 907 yards in 5 games before playing 1-6 Rice. Our secondary has to be licking their chops.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1