This team deserved better

emmitt01

31 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

From multiple threads today that some of our super fans like to jerk it thinking about themselves because they are the only ones worthy 

Today was hard for me to get to.  I took into consideration that every game is out of pocket fort me about $380 per game.  I made it happen.  Sorry to have offended you.  I don't belittle anybody else for their personal decisions. 

• Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Win out and we will have the championship game at UNT. Then people will be complaining about not getting a ticket.

UNT needs a few sellouts, that also helps with this kind of game. If people start making the experience that they can't always get tickets if they get them too late, they start getting them earlier. If people already have tickets, they are much more likely to come, even if the weather potentially sucks as they are already invested. If they don't have tix yet, it is much easier to get convinced not to go.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Today was hard for me to get to.  I took into consideration that every game is out of pocket fort me about $380 per game.  I made it happen.  Sorry to have offended you.  I don't belittle anybody else for their personal decisions. 

You are a monocle, ineligible to be a super fan.  You didn't offend me.  I don't easily get offended. I have season tickets even though I have not lived in TX for nearly a decade, so yes Rick was correct that I can rarely attend.  

Just trying to stick up for the little guy here a bit.  Seemed unnecessary to have multiple threads trying to shame students and fans for not coming out.  I hate that people stay home at the slightest inconvenience as well, but not sure why Emmitt and others feel the need to flaunt their assumed superiority.  Yes, this team deserves more support, but the folks on this forum are not the ones slacking.

Just one potentially unpopular opinion. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Yes, this team deserves more support, but the folks on this forum are not the ones slacking. 

Nothing has been directed at anyone on this forum, and it’s already been mentioned that we’re “preaching to the choir”.

If it’s directed at anyone it’s at the 10,000 plus students living within a couple of miles or less of the stadium.  There’s just zero excuse.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I understand people that physically can't make it, be it health, family, work etc. But to try and justify not coming because of the weather or there was a bunch of good games on TV, is ridiculous. ESPECIALLY after our athletic director goes onto Twitter to talk about the attendance.  I'm not trying to scoreboard my "superfanness" or belittle anyone. But there was no excuse for the lack if attendance today. 

• Downvote 3

It'd been pouring cats and dog where I was until about 1pm.  People didn't show up because weather was just bad and I don't fault them one bit.  We are not the exception here...this type of weather especially that includes a delay impacts attendance all across the country including the P5's.  The people that passed and decided to not come did so because they have a choice.  Not enough people realize that times are different now and there are plenty of options out there and that they'll do what makes them most comfortable. Our attendance has been good the last couple of years...I expect a great turnout for Rice.  

And no coaches are going to leave or stay because of attendance...we can sell out every game but if opportunity arises for a better job and more money and status guess what they'll be gone in a heartbeat. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 4

Rick, you just posted what I was about to say.  Most of the hardcore fans were there and I can see those that would've had to make a couple of hours drive perhaps deciding to stay home due to the weather conditions.

What really grabbed me was the lack of students.  I believe that the band had as many attending as the rest of the student body.  In fact, Southern Miss' attendees were almost as many as the North Texas student body, excluding the band.

Some don't think that it's important to be concerned about attendance; especially close to a game thread but that's when we likely get the most readers.  And attendance is important, especially if we are to ever advance this program.  Wren Baker addressed that problem in one of the threads.  I thought that the culture was changing but I see that we haven't moved that far off of square one.  Two well-attended games with two poorly attended games interspersed dilutes the average considerably.  

I just hope that students and Dentonites will read these threads and respond.  It will help the team, its recruiting, keeping the coaching staff, the university and the City of Denton if they'll just show up.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I could honestly give two shits about whether people think I’m a “superfan.”  North Texas is playing, therefore I’m attending...simple math to me.  I’ve never received a participation medal and I don’t expect one.  

What I’m more concerned about is that these players (and the ones we want to attract) notice.  Hell, our AD made it a point to mention attendance.  They train in the heat all summer, practice all Spring and Fall, play games in any conditions, and just expect folks to show up to watch them.  Oh, and they’re winning...which is what we have said for years was the “magic bullet” to drive attendance.  

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to get my cape to the dry cleaners.  It almost got wet yesterday.

A63F387C-F9FA-4D20-A8D5-D67746FFF14C.jpeg

Edited by emmitt01
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 2
  • Downvote 1

The secret to happiness in life...don't worry about attendance.  Just like everyone on this board; I go to every game, I give to the scholarship fund and I talk up my school.  I can't do anything more than go to the games and bring a friend.  Unless my school wants to start paying me to solve the problem...it's someone else's problem.

• Upvote 3

I was at the game, but a few points:

- just because it isn’t raining at the stadium, doesn’t mean it wasn’t raining in the metroplex.

- people on this board aren’t the norm, not everyone lives and dies by their smart phone and checks a weather app every 10 minutes.  All the news on the weather was that it would rain all day, and people believed it.  I was at the game, but I believed it.  

- you people have lived in Texas longer than you seem to remember.  Not all storms come neatly across from West Texas so we can easily watch them on their way.  Just because a line of storms came across and there appeared to be a clearing, doesn’t mean many more wouldn’t pop up right behind them, and the weather people on the news were raving about the unprecedented rain day we were going to have. How many of you brought rain coats even though it was “clear” behind the line of storms?

- we are on track for a record season attendance, relax.  Bring a friend to the next game that hasn’t been to a game and it will all be all right.  If we have great weather, good team and we have less than 20k show up like most G5’s, then complain and worry.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Was going to be a family trip this week with our 2 yr old daughter.  2.5 hours away.  Yesterday morning after the forecast of 100% rain chances hadn’t changed my wife said “nope”.  Gotta pick your battles but I felt bad letting the boys down.  Really worried that crowd made a bad impression on a coach we need to do everything we can to keep.  That said, it’s not just an NT problem.  Hope Rice is a sellout.  

• Ray 1

11 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Was going to be a family trip this week with our 2 yr old daughter.  2.5 hours away.  Yesterday morning after the forecast of 100% rain chances hadn’t changed my wife said “nope”.  Gotta pick your battles but I felt bad letting the boys down.  Really worried that crowd made a bad impression on a coach we need to do everything we can to keep.  That said, it’s not just an NT problem.  Hope Rice is a sellout.  

That coach started his post-game press conference with “Wanna thank the fans that DID show up”

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, 97and03 said:

You are a monocle, ineligible to be a super fan. 

For the record, I'm no monocle.  At some point and for various reasons that I won't get into here, I decided that I wanted to have one luxury in my otherwise spartan life and pulled the trigger on the cheapest club seats available for what was at the time, a kinda uncomfortable amount of money.  

And I did sit through that monsoon against Ohio over at fouts, so I got that goin' for me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Clearly, the people on this Board are invested in the program. Financially.  Emotionally.  Intellectually.  We care enough to search out extra info and discussions about our program.  

We (royal) need to figure out how to get the other students/alumni/local sports fans to “buy in”.  The coaches, players and ,finally, the Administration are all pulling in the same direction.  We’ve got big donors coming out of the woodwork.  We are waking the sleeping giant but it’s a DEEP sleeper.  15 years ago you had MAYBE a 1,000 people at Fouts for that same game.  It is getting better, but I feel like everyone is expecting Lucy to pull the football away from Charlie Brown.  

Really, I feel like if we could just get more folks on GoMeanGreen.com we’d turn them into fans for life.  

Kinda rambling.  We’re bleeping 6-1!!!!  GMG!!

Edited by Mad Hatter
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

For the record, I'm no monocle.  At some point and for various reasons that I won't get into here, I decided that I wanted to have one luxury in my otherwise spartan life and pulled the trigger on the cheapest club seats available for what was at the time, a kinda uncomfortable amount of money.  

And I did sit through that monsoon against Ohio over at fouts, so I got that goin' for me. 

seh6p.gif

1,width=450,height=450,appearanceId=1,ve

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1