This team deserved better

emmitt01

Most of the same ole diehards will be there.  So this platform isn't appropriate. But this fan base has too many fence sitters. And a 11am torrential downpour for a 1pm kick will keep them under a roof without even checking radar. Until these fence sitting alum and current students gravitate to the winning culture this is the scenario that will continue to happen given the weather. 

• Thanks 4

Rain was the only reason ones there today. Softball games for one of my kids was cancelled.  I won’t be at Homecoming because of another daughter playing volleyball.  I’m in my early 40’s with kids.  We came to ALL the games in the mid 2000’s before our kids got involved with stuff.  I won’t be able to make every game again until my kids are out of the house s long as they’re still involved in stuff.  Some of the older alumni (my dad for example) never cared about NTSU football and I can’t convince him to change now.   It just wasn’t ever a priority when he went to school there.

I know we could have had more students there today, but I was happy to see as many that did show up.  It’s getting better.  It’s just slow.  It’s frustrating that more don’t “jump on the band wagon”.

• Upvote 3

I thought I was going through through the outer bands of an approaching hurricane on parts of my 45-mile trek to Apogee. By the time I got there, more than an hour before kickoff, I wore my poncho only as a precaution and as a windbreaker for occasional chilly winds. It turned out to be very pleasant all day and my trip home was on dry roads.

I guess I would have been worried had I not checked the radar often and saw that big clearing moving in from the west.

• Upvote 2

In a stadium that isn't covered, with the most rainfall in 1 day since 1960, the weather matters. This shouldn't be surprising.

I think I saw that the past 24 hours was the most rainfall in a 24 hr period since 1960 something?

We need more of every type of fan.

There should be tens of thousands of fence sitters who take the place of each other when other fence sitters can't make it.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I disagree.  

For years we heard that people wouldn't show up because Fouts was a dump...so we replaced it. 

We heard "the offense is boring to watch" as Dickey's teams ran off four straight conference titles...we put up over 400 yards a game and have a QB who is breaking every damn record

Then we heard "just win and people will show up"...we are 6-1, coming off a conference title game appearance

The bottom line is that North Texas fans will look for ANY reason to keep their asses glued to their couch.  We piss, bitch and moan when people don't take us seriously...the truth is, we don't take ourselves seriously.  

i was simply stating - maybe not so specifically - that attendance will return to LaTech/SMU numbers.

Thanks for throwing the kitchen sink that is Denton culture at me.  I think lol

• Haha 1

I can tell you that making derogatory remarks about other members of the fan base is not a positive way to attract others or increase interest.  Many of our fans can't just change their plans last minute because the weather clears an hour before kickoff.  Many have smaller children and it takes planning and organization. I realize that many may not like what I'm saying.  But, it's simply true.  If it wasn't for today's weather, these same families would have other commitments like youth sports.  As many mentioned before the game, selling out a day game will take time.  The bottom line is we have to win (and win consistently for several seasons) to change the priorities of many fans (especially with kids and other obligations).  I too would LOVE to see us sellout all our games!  For what it's worth, I see it happening in the not so distant future.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

I thought I was going through through the outer bands of an approaching hurricane on parts of my 45-mile trek to Apogee. By the time I got there, more than an hour before kickoff, I wore my poncho only as a precaution and as a windbreaker for occasional chilly winds. It turned out to be very pleasant all day and my trip home was on dry roads.

I guess I would have been worried had I not checked the radar often and saw that big clearing moving in from the west.

That's the thing, everyone has a smartphone. Every phone has a free weather app. It takes less than a minute to check a radar. 

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 3

46 minutes ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

There was a great slate of 2:30 games on today. Sorry. hurricane conditions and a crappy opponent, who can blame for those not wanting to get drenched

It stopped raining an hour before kick. Set your DVR to record the games on TV. Southern Miss is not a crappy opponent. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

From multiple threads today that some of our super fans like to jerk it thinking about themselves because they are the only ones worthy 

For someone who obviously couldn’t be there...even if you wanted to(if I remember your situation correctly, pardon if not?)...your sure taking the ribbing hard.  You have to know none of it is directed at you, right?

Rick

• Downvote 1