❇️ Why Isn’t There A “Mean Joe Greene” National Award For Nation’s Best Def.Tackle?

PlummMeanGreen

14 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Butkus Award and Jim Thorpe Award would like to talk to you.

Yeah, I figured there were some. I just assumed there were more offensive awards than defensive. Of course the biggest individual award in college sports is an offense award (Heisman). 

Edited by BigWillie

18 hours ago, greenminer said:

@Cerebus whoops! meant I-AA

Back when Division I divided, one of the requirements was a 30,000 seat stadium.  At the time Fouts Field had a capacity of 20,000.  Chancellor Hurley was unwilling to spend the money to enlarge Fouts, instead electing to spend that money on improving academics.

As to your first question...if you go far enough back, Denton did do a much better job of supporting North Texas athletics than they do currently (at least percentage-wise).  In the forties and fifties North Texas had 5-7,000 students and Denton had a population of 12-15,000.  The old stadium, roughly where the mall and Willis Library now stand, held roughly 9-10,000.  I attended several games where there was an overflow crowd, so several thousand of those had to come from Denton.  Roads from Dallas and Fort Worth were two lanes and not well-traveled.  

I can't truly tell you why the city failed to get behind its colleges.  Their standard excuse seemed to be that we can't afford to support both and we can't offend one by supporting the other.  I never did buy that.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Yeah, I figured there were some. I just assumed there were more offensive awards than defensive. Of course the biggest individual award in college sports is an offense award (Heisman). 

The Heisman is not an offensive only award.  It is given to the best player in college football which has evolved in to the best skill position player on a P5 team that is having a good year.

On 10/11/2018 at 1:30 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

There have been defensive players capture the Heisman over the years.

Just happened to click on the one defensive name I recognized on the list and saw this.

To date, he is the only primarily defensive player to win the Heisman, and he is the most recent player to win the Heisman who was not either a running back or quarterback.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Woodson

Not saying it didn't happen and I know it isn't an offensive award, but it may as well be.

Edited by BigWillie