Weather & Attendance for Southern Miss Game

GreenTexan13

My thoughts are that I will extremely happy when the thought of any sort of weather would impact our crowds to any degree.  THAT is when we will know that, as a fan base, we have "grown up" and are acting like the big boys.

That being said, we are not there as yet.  Getting better by the season, but still a bit to go.  I would predict a decent sized crowd even with a bit of rain.  Maybe not as much tailgating and certainly not another record crowd, but I do think a decent number on the day even if a bit of rain rears its ugly head!  The fan base is "growing up" and growing bigger, but not to the point that bad weather doesn't matter quite yet.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Meh, attendance struggles everywhere when it rains. You guys are being overly optimistic about what it's like at the "big programs." I've been to a game in the rain at DKR in Austin against Iowa State with about 20K actual bodies in attendance. I expect attendance at this game to be lower 20's, despite the weather.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

I feel like this season has had the most weather-affected games I've seen. And not just with North Texas games.

I've been thinking the same thing. I feel like we've lucked out for the last couple of seasons, so I guess it is just our turn in the barrel.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

The trend of weather like what happened my senior year in which it rained every Thursday and/or Friday night the last 7 straight weeks of the season....in 1984?

Rick

I know what you're getting at but it's been a continuation from last couple seasons too (an actual trend, not an anecdote). There have been more "hurricane games" now.

Weather has played a bigger factor in football games lately.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I know what you're getting at but it's been a continuation from last couple seasons too (an actual trend, not an anecdote). There have been more "hurricane games" now.

Weather has played a bigger factor in football games lately.

And there’s not a damn thing you or I can do about it.

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 9

Some of us were at the 1981 Southern Miss at Fouts Field game & the rain was of monsoon proportions. 

It had flooded like most of us had ever seen the Student Side entrance between the Athletic Center and the stadium.  It was so bad you needed a snorkle and frog fins to swim thru it.  (Yall think I'm kidding).  

Gray Eagle, SUMG, Jim & Wanda Parks & myself were trying to keep a huge tarp over us in the driving rain except the wind was wreaking havoc with it. 

GMG! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1