Women's Soccer Ranked #25!!!

MGNation92

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Better question:
If everyone knows the rule, can you imagine any team with a slogan like "#drivefor5", therefore EXPECTING to be somewhere in or near the rankings, NOT anticipating the need to re-register?

Not a better question IMO, than why is there an obligation to register to be included in a poll.  

Even if it is a rule, why would a team have to register at almost the conclusion of the season to be included.   Makes absolutely no sense.  

11 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Not a better question IMO, than why is there an obligation to register to be included in a poll.  

Even if it is a rule, why would a team have to register at almost the conclusion of the season to be included.   Makes absolutely no sense.  

It's likely some kind of "membership dues" to the greater organization that is responsible for the rankings.  
And, ideally, a team wouldn't wait to re-register until almost the conclusion of the season!  That should be done before the season even starts.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's likely some kind of "membership dues" to the greater organization that is responsible for the rankings.  
And, ideally, a team wouldn't wait to re-register until almost the conclusion of the season!  That should be done before the season even starts.

Soccer coaches association.   Not debating dues are the issue.   I assume you think it perfectly legitimate to promote  rankings by your organization and then require dues to be paid to be included.  

To me this destroys the whole purpose of an supposedly unbiased poll.  NT is not ranked, yet SMU is; who have lost 5 of their last 7 games.  Not to mention that there could very well be multiple tournament teams that are not including in their so called rankings.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Soccer coaches association.   Not debating dues are the issue.   I assume you think it perfectly legitimate to promote  rankings by your organization and then require dues to be paid to be included.  

To me this destroys the whole purpose of an supposedly unbiased poll.  NT is not ranked, yet SMU is; who have lost 5 of their last 7 games.  Not to mention that there could very well be multiple tournament teams that are not including in their so called rankings.  

Like it or not, the USC poll is THE coaches poll of college soccer. We should have been on top of the membership. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Like it or not, the USC poll is THE coaches poll of college soccer. We should have been on top of the membership. 

Do we even know that is why NT is not in the poll?   You seem to be sure, I am not.  Maybe Hedlund decided he didn't want to take part in such an obviously bogus poll.  That seems just as likely as someone forgetting to pay their dues at almost season end. 

I

46 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Do we even know that is why NT is not in the poll?   You seem to be sure, I am not.  Maybe Hedlund decided he didn't want to take part in such an obviously bogus poll.  That seems just as likely as someone forgetting to pay their dues at almost season end. 

I

It is THE coaches poll. 

3 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

That was not the question.   

I speculated that was the cause. Two other people on here said that’s their understanding of what happened. I have zero inside information. Considering this poll is good enough for all of the top teams in college soccer I can’t imagine it’s something we simply don’t want to be a part of. We were a part of it until last week. If that’s what happened it’s not the end of the world. I fully expect is to be in the top 25 on Tuesday. 

3 hours ago, dml7007 said:

Lost 4-0 hoping we rested everyone and played all youngsters.  

Weird time to rest players isn’t it? I don’t know whether we did or didn’t. When you’re trying to get an NCAA tourney home game and secure an at-large bid (just in case) we needed to win today. Not get annihilated. 

On 10/28/2018 at 4:40 PM, Mean Green Matt said:

Weird time to rest players isn’t it? I don’t know whether we did or didn’t. When you’re trying to get an NCAA tourney home game and secure an at-large bid (just in case) we needed to win today. Not get annihilated. 

If we had defeated ODU, our first opponent in the tourney would have been ... ODU.  I supposed Hedlund didn't want to give them any info in a meaningless game.