No Luv' From La Tech: "They almost lost to crappy UTEP! They are not that good. UAB will tear them a new one."

PlummMeanGreen

Well, let's get by Southern Miss first.

When is the last time a college tight end who can catch, run and block was converted to a Running Back or Full Back position?    With our need for a bone-crushing RB who can get those 2-3 tough yards might that be one possibility for North Texas? 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 3

31 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

La Tech will end the year at 7-5 at best. 

We gifted that game to them 5 different ways.

Theyll be gone soon while we go try to win the west. They’re done. Who cares. 

It frustrating - we gave them that game and it took away a dream season for us.  Dammit!  I’m trying to get over it I promise... just takes time

10 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

When is the last time a college tight end who can catch, run and block was converted to a Running Back or Full Back position?    With our need for a bone-crushing RB who can get those 2-3 tough yards might that be one possibility for North Texas? 

GMG!

Is this an actual quote or just another nonsensical post from Plumm?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Is this an actual quote or just another nonsensical post from Plumm?

Non-sense to some makes total sense to progressive dreamers & from one who has been around college football the last 50 plus years.  UNT for 47. Around these parts you get piled on because you have the audacity to forget our not so successful athletic psst & suggest a larger Apogee would help us get Top 25 schools into Denton. Sure we wouldn’t fill it all the time but neither are P5 schools filling their stadiums now but... they will with the right opponent when something is on the line. Note:   When UNT hosts Texas Tech in a few seasons that game could easily draw 40,000 fans, but about 8K to 10K Red Raider fans are not going to get into Apogee unless they buy their tickets much earlier than Mean Green fans. 

UH was my first inspiration who I took to Denton upon transferring there actually thinking UNT could emulate much of what the Cougars did since the 1960’s when I first began following their advent into the Southwest Conference.  Saw some pretty high brow stuff as a UH fan including the Astrodome match between Elvin Hayes & (then) Lew Alcindor. 

✔️ Oh, well, I just remember in the annals of Texas college football when an Oklahoma-born HFC at UT totally ran out of Longhorn QB’s due to injuries. DKR then pulled a DB from the secondary named Allan Lowery—turned  him into a QB who (as I recall) took his team to the Cotton Bowl that Fall.  That make sense?  Desperate times (& the rest of that quote).

UNT has no power back at the moment who  can do what #23 could do so might a a bit of creativity (a la Darrell Royal) be in order to get a sizable bone crunching back put in the backfield during certain situations? 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 4

As much as I hate that quote, it's up to us to prove it wrong, because "we" really aren't doing the job. We did have two really not so good games in a row. We threw away the LaTech game. We barely showed up to UTEP

I think our offense does reset and goes apesh*t on SoMiss. I really do, and I'm looking forward to it

I also think UTEP isn't as bad as the 0-6 record shows. They are improving each week, and I think they see their first win in a week or two, and their defense hasn't let opponents stack up the points. There's some positives on that team.

I can't much argue with them since the second quarter began on September 29th. 

Maybe too many years of "It's a football system, they graded out well," and "Somebody get me my Grey Goose," have me struggling with my college football faith.  

I don't feel good about the twelve game end prospects right now.  We've plummeted from a conference juggernaut to extremely vulnerable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

GMG!

Ok, so tell me the answer to that first question?

And who on our current roster do you have in mind?

• Lovely Take 1

39 minutes ago, wardly said:

Halfway thru the season and we lost to  the only team we  played that had a winning record. Of our remaining games, only UAB is in the plus column. Until we beat someone that has won more than they have lost its difficult for me to gauge how good we really are.

Valid point, but I feel that way about the whole of CUSA right now. It’s hard to gauge, at least from my perspective which team can run through their conference schedule without dropping a game or blowing a game they were suppose to win. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Non-sense to some makes total sense to progressive dreamers & from one who has been around college football the last 50 plus years.  UNT for 47. Around these parts you get piled on because you have the audacity to forget our not so successful athletic psst & suggest a larger Apogee would help us get Top 25 schools into Denton. Sure we wouldn’t fill it all the time but neither are P5 schools filling their stadiums now but... they will with the right opponent when something is on the line. 

UH was my first inspiration who I took to Denton upon transferring there actually thinking UNT could emulate much of what the Cougars did since the 1960’s when I first began following their advent into the Southwest Conference.  Saw some pretty high brow stuff as a UH fan including the Astrodome match between Elvin Hayes & (then) Lew Alcindor. 

✔️ Oh, well, I just remember in the annals of Texas college football when an Oklahoma-born HFC at UT totally ran  of QB’s due to injuries & then pulled a DB from the secondary named Allan Lowery—turned  him into a QB who (as I recall) took his team to the Cotton Bowl that Fall.  That make sense?  Desperate times (& the rest of that quote).

UNT has no power back at the moment who  can do what #23 could do so might a a bit of creativity (a la Darrell Royal) be in order to get a sizable bone crunching back put in the backfield during certain situations? 

GMG!

Plumm, we need a thousand more fans just like you. Keep on keepin on!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Ok, so tell me the answer to that first question?

And who on our current roster do you have in mind?

Of course, the first question I was asking to the GMG.com posters.

All the rest is hypothetical. 

We know a Tight End to RB (or Fullback) won't happen at North Texas, but fun to speculate which is all any of us ever do on this forum.  Still, on GMG.com I haven't seen one poster in all my years of reading other posters post their HSO's on play-calling or making personnel changes ever be asked to join the UNT coaching staff. 

How many times have we (mostly you) convinced the Green Brigade readers of GMG.com to try something different  that looks like a Big 10 marching band entrance onto the Apogee field for the pre-game show?  I still think its a good idea, Bill,  to give such an entrance the good old college try, but no one from the UNTCOM is likely to consult with any of us on anything they do. 

We have 2 or 3 fine running backs who can break for long runs but (as someone else on GMG.com  posted) "once you hit one of their ankles they go down."   We have run many off tackle plays of late and rarely do we get multi-yardage.  No running game for UNT means it's all on Mason Fine's passing.  (At UTEP #6 probably had 60 yards worth of dropped passes). 

We're all sick as hell that we lost Loren Easly because he was so looking like the RB that could take us to the next CUSA level--West Division Football championship and maybe a bowl win.  

Tight End to Running Back?  One has to assume that if one can play Tight End that they can run after he catches the football & also block.  As goes Mason Fine as goes North Texas.   We've seen what Mason Fine not playing at 100% affects the entire offense & team.  .Maybe an extra blocker in the backfield would help keep him from running for his life and be able to set up and pass?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, wardly said:

The 5 teams we beat have an average record of 1&5.

You are right, wardly, but strangely early this season by North Texas winning against a 2 average "known teams" we were still able to get some Top 25 votes.  Wasn't a spot inside the Top 25 but at least getting some votes is a start.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

Opponents to date win/loss records, aggregate, and average: 

Win   Loss   Win %
SMU 2   4   0.333
ICW 3   2   0.600
Arkansas 1   5   0.167
Liberty 2   3   0.400
LaTech 3   2   0.600
UTEP 0   5   0.000
Total 11   21   0.344

Average 1.83   3.5   0.344

Edit:  Same table, with LaTech removed to reflect only teams that we've beaten: 

Win   Loss   Win %
SMU 2   4   0.333
ICW 3   2   0.600
Arkansas 1   5   0.167
Liberty 2   3   0.400
UTEP 0   5   0.000
Total 8   19   0.296

Average 1.6   3.8   0.296
Edited by oldguystudent

Ferguson completely dominated, their wide receivers won more often than not and made some great grabs other than that they aren't near any better than us at any position. We are the better team we just laid an egg.

The penalty yardage, the gifted touchdown from the muff, the field goal clank, the breakdown in blocking for game winner, the injuries to our two biggest impact players on defense, Fine getting hobbled, having our starting RB tear his ACL and I could keep going.

It's a complete miracle they beat us we win that game 9/10 times.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1