Confession - The hype got me

Mad Hatter

I think the team bought into the hype as well. They are falling back to earth pretty quickly now. We can still win this damned conference though. La Tech gave us a gift last night. Its gut check time now. UTEP was never going to be as easy as our fanbase thought. They fought their asses off and from I saw their coaches gave us both barrells. Our team can prove what they are really made of now. Kick the crap out of Southern Miss is step one.

• Upvote 2

This is why it's good to have realistic expectations and take it one goal at a time.

Goal 1: Beat SMU.  

Goal 2: 6 wins to be bowl eligible.

Goal 3:  Win CUSA West.

Goal 4.  Win the conference championship.

Goal 5: Win our bowl game.

That's our plan every year.  Any time we do 3 out of the 5 its a great year.  Do that 3 out of 5 seasons, then we can start adding some new goals.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

Winning is not easy.  Ask every team that lost yesterday.  Beating a conference mate isn't easy regardless of their current struggle (they are generally at your same level with respect to resources).  Winning on the road isn't easy.   Take the win and try to get healthy for the next game.  We didn't play our best against LaTech and it was bound to happen sooner or later.  LaTech played mistake free and we still had two good chances to pull out the win.  With the exception of being undefeated at home, all our season-long goals are still in front of us.  Let's get another big crowd for Southern Miss and and let the team feed off our energy.  Go Mean Green! 

We have a bunch of fans that think G5 undefeated only equates to UCF-undefeated when, in reality, there are tons of examples of teams winning in-spite of many flaws and growing pains.

its really frustrating trying to discuss ball with someone who can’t understand the spectrum that exists in this regard, who only believes that a winning program should be blowing people out every single week.

we are not there yet.  We have depth issues that are haunting us due to injuries.  We have coaches that are still learning how to coach. This means we will struggle against the upper tier of CUSA.

im enjoying this season still, and I honestly think the 2019 verbals - assuming they sign - will be the first big step we take into the realm of the Boise States and UCFs of the world.  Not the arrival, but a big step in that direction.

again, we are not there yet.  We are vulnerable. But I can still love the college game and support my team.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

We have a bunch of fans that think G5 undefeated only equates to UCF-undefeated when, in reality, there are tons of examples of teams winning in-spite of many flaws and growing pains.

its really frustrating trying to discuss ball with someone who can’t understand the spectrum that exists in this regard, who only believes that a winning program should be blowing people out every single week.

we are not there yet.  We have depth issues that are haunting us due to injuries.  We have coaches that are still learning how to coach. This means we will struggle against the upper tier of CUSA.

im enjoying this season still, and I honestly think the 2019 verbals - assuming they sign - will be the first big step we take into the realm of the Boise States and UCFs of the world.  Not the arrival, but a big step in that direction.

again, we are not there yet.  We are vulnerable. But I can still love the college game and support my team.

👍 Agree.  

Thing I noticed about Boise State’s “arrival” especially the year they beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl was how their team speed all but equaled that of the Sooner & many upper echelon P5  schools.  

Different levels of G5 is perfect.  We didn’t know this because we’ve been the dregs more of the years than not. But Colorado state is different then Boise, perception wise in my eyes. There was even a step between Memphis south Florida and UCF last year.  There was a difference between fau and unt last year. This year unt is closer to last years fau. 

It’s just awesome to have risen from one plain to another. Let’s strive to become a beast in G5, nervous to play in the eyes of the p6, win our dang bowl and finish with double digit wins.

Big stretch goals still in front of us.

GMG

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NM Green said:

Different levels of G5 is perfect.  We didn’t know this because we’ve been the dregs more of the years than not. But Colorado state is different then Boise, perception wise in my eyes. There was even a step between Memphis south Florida and UCF last year.  There was a difference between fau and unt last year. This year unt is closer to last years fau. 

It’s just awesome to have risen from one plain to another. Let’s strive to become a beast in G5, nervous to play in the eyes of the p6, win our dang bowl and finish with double digit wins.

Big stretch goals still in front of us.

GMG

This is so true. Just look at the difference in this team compared to the 1-11 team. It's been 3 years...HUGE difference already. 

I think the OP's thoughts were what I was trying to say somehow in my other thread where I said I felt more disappointed in this game than the LaTech game.  I really wanted to blow out UTEP (I still think we should have!) and get the hype train back on track, regain the momentum.  

I won't say I had totally drank the green kool-aid, but I certainly believed that we should do what good teams do and crush inferior opponents.  Instead we sleep-walked through the first half. 

• Downvote 1