Southern Miss

outoftown

So everybody was still on UTEP yesterday, which is understandable. Many were excited about UAB giving UNT back a chance at winning the west.

But the immediate future is a Southern Miss team that I can't quite figure out yet. Despite 2 turnovers they held Auburn to 24. They beat a Rice team that after looking decent to start the season has recently regressed. Lost to ULM,  and had a meaningless blowout to Jackson State. Also they had already two bye weeks, including sitting at home this week preparing for UNT. Their Defense looks better than their offense. Their defense seems to be ahead of their offense. With where our offenses head and health is right now, I feel like this is a formidable task for them, not so worried about our D handling their O. Feels very much like a 50-50 game to me.

What do yall think?

Aso, I think it is less than ideal to have them well rested now and then immediately having to travel to Birmingham the week after.

Edited by outoftown

7 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

USM’s pass rush worries me the most. The way that UTEP was able to get to Mason, who knows what kind of success they will have 

I feel you. I think we need to come out and start off balanced -tending to the run at the beginning- and then go passing from there. As soon as we started running a bit, UTEP got much less pressure on Fine when UNT did pass.  Same was true for LaTech, where the 3rd quarter the run was inexplicably abandoned, and Tech reacted by starting to tee off on Fine.

Edited by outoftown

20 minutes ago, edcollopy said:

Late in the game I yelled at the tv that the safety was up tight, throw deep to Guyton. The very next play we did just that. He had 3 steps on the dB but the ball was overthrown. Would’ve made Guyton’s night look a lot better. 

guyton needs to make guyton's night better...

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Southern Miss is gonna be good. They played Auburn tough. They'll be looking to ruin our season. Our team is good, but banged up. We need NT to figure out who they are. We knew the team they are for 4 games and 1 quarter. They've lost their way for 7 quarters. 1 PM Saturday they need to shake it off and be themselves again.

Edited by UNTexas

S. Miss has always been strong and quick in the trenches. It has kind of been their thing for many years, even when they had their downturn. Especially on D. We've got to at least match that, or we will have a tough game if we can't get the big plays going. We probably will need some really good play calling in this game.

• Lovely Take 1

https://freepicks.picksandparlays.net/more-free-picks/college-football-picks/southern-mississippi-at-north-texas-101318-college-football-picks-and-predictions/

The Mean Green have a great offense and it is going to really dominate over the Golden Eagles defense that has had its fair share of struggles on the season so far. Look for the Golden Eagles offense to be able to actually be able to do decent, but the pass defense of the Mean Green will slow down Abraham, which cannot be said for the Golden Eagles pass defense against Fine. Final Score Prediction, North Texas Mean Green win and cover ATS 35-24.

Edited by Philip Ferguson
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Philip Ferguson said:

https://freepicks.picksandparlays.net/more-free-picks/college-football-picks/southern-mississippi-at-north-texas-101318-college-football-picks-and-predictions/

The Mean Green have a great offense and it is going to really dominate over the Golden Eagles defense that has had its fair share of struggles on the season so far. Look for the Golden Eagles offense to be able to actually be able to do decent, but the pass defense of the Mean Green will slow down Abraham, which cannot be said for the Golden Eagles pass defense against Fine. Final Score Prediction, North Texas Mean Green win and cover ATS 35-24.

I'll take it. 

20 hours ago, edcollopy said:

Late in the game I yelled at the tv that the safety was up tight, throw deep to Guyton. The very next play we did just that. He had 3 steps on the dB but the ball was overthrown. Would’ve made Guyton’s night look a lot better. 

yell at the tv more often... 

• Upvote 1

I think our defense needs to really step up and have a big game to get some confidence back. If La Tech converts 1 or 2 of those 4 first half field goals, that La Tech game wouldn't have even been that close. UTEP's offense is bad and they put up 24 on us. This week needs to be the get your *ss in gear week for the defense.