Strange feeling

97and03

This definitely feels better than last week. But it is not nearly back up to the high from before last week, not the feeling of relief I was hoping for

As of now I expect the Southern Miss game next week to be a really difficult challenge for our offense. Feels like a 50-50 game to me.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, outoftown said:

This definitely feels better than last week. But it is not nearly back up to the high from before last week, not the feeling of relief I was hoping for

As of now I expect the Southern Miss game next week to be a really difficult challenge for our offense. Feels like a 50-50 game to me.

You sound like a junkie 

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Ummm he completed close to 70% of his balls... had 7 drops that I can remember and over threw JG 1 time....Fine did enough to help us win.  Early on he had 0 protection 

Completing passes is not the same as executing the usual game plan.  Deep passing game has been the hallmark of this season’s offense and has been hampered by the injury. Also Fine is not a running threat at all. 

That was my point. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Completing passes is not the same as executing the usual game plan.  Deep passing game has been the hallmark of this season’s offense and has been hampered by the injury. Also Fine is not a running threat at all. 

That was my point. 

Usually on the same page as you, but not here. Fine was limited this week, and I'm glad he was. He probably shouldn't even be in the game. But given his condition, and our stubborn coaches, he did a pretty damn good job for a team that was only half awake. The fault isn't on Fine this week, but our o-line who just sucked harder than Russian mail order bride.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Usually on the same page as you, but not here. Fine was limited this week, and I'm glad he was. He probably shouldn't even be in the game. But given his condition, and our stubborn coaches, he did a pretty damn good job for a team that was only half awake. The fault isn't on Fine this week, but our o-line who just sucked harder than Russian mail order bride.

I think we do actually agree here. My point was that an injured Fine led to a shrinking of the playbook. So yes he was able to largely the game plan (I should have said playbook in my previous post instead of game plan), but it was limited and easier to defend than the usual offense which is more explosive. Definitely not blaming Fine. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

It’s a win against a team rebuilding. UTEP is us 2 years ago...minus a few wins. I think UTEP will be relevant next year. Take the win. Fine completed 68% of his passes for 291 yds 2 TD’s 0 INT’s. Take it and move on. 

I think long suffering fans like myself just want more.  The La Tech game was a huge loss with all the momentum the program had going into that day.  It was unrealistical to expect a undefeated season even after beating Arkansas but I least wanted to get to the Southern Miss game undefeated.  The ongoing national exposure from being 6-0 would have been priceless.  The Southern Miss game would have been a sellout midday game (weather permitting).  You pack that stadium and metroplex sees what we can be the corner has turned and that is bigger than a conference championship team with 3 losses.  Apogee needs to be turned into a big stage that the Mean Green wins on.  Fine received very high standard criticism.  However he played well enough to bet UTEP by 10 points at least. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, 97and03 said:

That was my point. 

Fine has never been a running threat.  He may get 2/3 called runs a game MAX.  The hamstring did not hamper his ability imo.  If it did you would have seen another qb. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

For the last two years Fine, the receivers, the coaching staff, and a few other stalwarts have hid the fact that, from a talent standpoint, this roster has not been built up to the level that their record would indicate.

This offensive line still does not have all conference guys, and has been exposed. The defense has played well but we’ve also seen lack of depth hurt the team in recent games. 

This is a good team, and a solid roster, but this was never a UCF type, 13-0 roster. That’s why it’s not just “oh we barely beat one of the worst FBS teams, that’s not good.” It’s that there are some concerning trends and some weaknesses that we were always winning in spite of to begin with being exposed more recently. 

🎯🎯🎯

• Upvote 1

What has happened to Guyton?  I guess he is being doubled team but he has to stop dropping passes.  I received boos when I suggest he not start a game.   I am saying do not play him just make him a little hunger to get on the field. The guy has so much talent he should be unstoppable.  Maybe not starting takes a little pressure off him.  Move him around the field on different plays.  move him to the slot a few times and see if we can confuse the defense on a play or two.  We have to get him back in the game.  

7 hours ago, southsideguy said:

What has happened to Guyton?  I guess he is being doubled team but he has to stop dropping passes.  I received boos when I suggest he not start a game.   I am saying do not play him just make him a little hunger to get on the field. The guy has so much talent he should be unstoppable.  Maybe not starting takes a little pressure off him.  Move him around the field on different plays.  move him to the slot a few times and see if we can confuse the defense on a play or two.  We have to get him back in the game.  

The drops are concerning for sure.

I will say this, he has not slacked off on the blocking.  Watch Bussey's TD run and you will see #9 absolutely blocking down the CB and freeing the run up. 

8 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Fine has never been a running threat.  He may get 2/3 called runs a game MAX.  The hamstring did not hamper his ability imo.  If it did you would have seen another qb. 

I generally agree with your point about him not being a major running threat. however:

Last year (yes I know this is a different year) he had multiple games with 5 or more carries.  He isn't a home run threat, but enough to keep teams honest.  Let's not forget the legend of Fine began as a freshman running over a DB against Bethune-Cookman for a 25 yard run. 

There was no threat and UTEP new that for sure and it made it easier for them.  I don't recall FIne pulling the ball out and taking it himself in the UTEP game. Maybe it wasn't a factor in the offense struggling, but I think it certainly changes the mindset of the offensive play calling if that arrow isn't in the quiver. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 1

On 10/6/2018 at 8:15 PM, GMG24 said:

Ummm he completed close to 70% of his balls... had 7 drops that I can remember and over threw JG 1 time....Fine did enough to help us win.  Early on he had 0 protection 

Great point. Smith dropped a surefire TD on a fourth down, Guyton had multiple drops. The overthrow to JG was with about a 15-20 mph wind. 

Mason was definitely hampered, but played with a ton of grit. Good sign; now we just have to get him healthy for this week as this will be the best defensive front we've seen to date. 

1 hour ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Great point. Smith dropped a surefire TD on a fourth down, Guyton had multiple drops. The overthrow to JG was with about a 15-20 mph wind

Mason was definitely hampered, but played with a ton of grit. Good sign; now we just have to get him healthy for this week as this will be the best defensive front we've seen to date. 

I've said it before, MF definitely has trouble in windy games, especially throwing with the wind (but the a lot of QB's do).