Strange feeling

97and03

Big Willie said in the game thread that it was strange to be so upset about a win and it made me think.

Maybe it is crazy but I am more upset after this win than the loss to LaTech.  This was an absolutely lackluster performance and it is arguable that Fine should have even played today. Am I the only one? 

• Upvote 8
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 8

No. The offense looked way off. The play calling was off. It looked like coaches and players wanted a week off or a way to “just get through with this game”. I’m concerned about southern miss. We could really use a bye next week. This performance will not cut it against southern miss.

it also looked like the play calling was built to take care of Mason. A lot more running into a brick wall than usual.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

If your QB can’t execute the playbook, then change QBs.  This was another coaching failure. 

Ummm he completed close to 70% of his balls... had 7 drops that I can remember and over threw JG 1 time....Fine did enough to help us win.  Early on he had 0 protection 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

It is the weirdest 5-1 feeling ever, wait the only 5-1 feeling I think I’ve ever felt. 

Utep will win a game this season. Everybody had a hangover. The desert games can be strange and out of whack. A win in the desert feels like rarified air.

smile and pack the house next weekend!

gmg

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Big Willie said in the game thread that it was strange to be so upset about a win and it made me think.

Maybe it is crazy but I am more upset after this win than the loss to LaTech.  This was an absolutely lackluster performance and it is arguable that Fine should have even played today. Am I the only one? 

I disagree 100%. I will take an ugly win over an ugly loss any given Saturday.

• Upvote 2

The offense played pretty good. UTEP was playing the run aggressively and forced Fine and the WR's to make it through the air. The defense played okay. The UTEP coaches took advantage of how aggressive our was team playing on defense.

All in all, it was another win. Was not the blowout many of us were hoping for, but we put it together and didn't lost 2 in a row.

UAB won and UTEP is going to be tough for teams in the west division going forward. This thing is wide open, North Texas is coming off an emotional loss and gutted out an ugly win. We can sit here and nit pick this win, which is every fans right to do so, but North Texas is 5-1 right now. That is awesome! 

GMG 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Ummm he completed close to 70% of his balls... had 7 drops that I can remember and over threw JG 1 time....Fine did enough to help us win.  Early on he had 0 protection 

Don't disagree with your thoughts about Mason's personal performance. I DO feel we put him at risk for the rest of the season by playing him. I hope he is not on crutches with his arm in a sling when he gets home. Thought we should have started Shanbour. JMHO.

• Upvote 3

For the last two years Fine, the receivers, the coaching staff, and a few other stalwarts have hid the fact that, from a talent standpoint, this roster has not been built up to the level that their record would indicate.

This offensive line still does not have all conference guys, and has been exposed. The defense has played well but we’ve also seen lack of depth hurt the team in recent games. 

This is a good team, and a solid roster, but this was never a UCF type, 13-0 roster. That’s why it’s not just “oh we barely beat one of the worst FBS teams, that’s not good.” It’s that there are some concerning trends and some weaknesses that we were always winning in spite of to begin with being exposed more recently. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 3