CUSA Western Division

NorthTexan95

The simple way for us to still win the division title is for La Tech to lose two conference games while we win out.  However, another scenario requires La Tech only losing once more and other team joining us as one lost teams.  A three way tie for the division title could go our way.  The obvious candidates to join us and La Tech as one loss teams would be UAB or Southern Miss.  The bottom of our division (Rice, UTEP, UTSA) are all down this year it so it's maybe more likely that before.   

Key Matchups for La Tech, UNT, UAB, and USM:

10/6 UAB at La Tech

10/13 Southern Miss at North Texas

10/20 North Texas at UAB

11/10 Southern Miss at UAB

11/17 La Tech at Southern Miss

Cross Division Matchups:

North Texas:  ODU, FAU

La Tech: FAU, WKU

Southern Miss: Charlotte, Marshall

UAB: Charlotte (already won), MTSU

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

Pretty sure the tie-breaker is the head-to-head matchup, which La Tech obviously won. We'd need them to lose one more conference game than we do in order to rank above them in conference standings. 

He's saying a 3-way tiebreaker would look something like this:

LATech beats UNT
UAB beats LATech
UNT beats UAB

Then, the head-to-head matchups don't help.  You have to move to the next line of tiebreak rules.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He's saying a 3-way tiebreaker would look something like this:

LATech beats UNT
UAB beats LATech
UNT beats UAB

Then, the head-to-head matchups don't help.  You have to move to the next line of tiebreak rules.

Head-to-head would still play a part if UAB finished with more losses, if I understand correctly.

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

Head-to-head would still play a part if UAB finished with more losses, if I understand correctly.

Correct.  Won't mean much if one of the 3 teams has more conference losses than the other two.

2 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

which is what?????

I dunno.  I'm sure it's very detailed somewhere.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/c-usa/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/tie-breakers-15.pdf

Two-team or multiple team tie for divisional champion [Principle: If at any point the tie is broken in a multiple team tie, the remaining teams will begin the process again at #2.]
1. Highest regular season winning percentage based on overall Conference USA play.
2. If tied, head to head between tied teams.
3. If still tied, highest winning percentage within division.
4. If still tied, compare records against divisional opponents in descending order of finish.
5. If still tied, compare records with common cross-divisional opponents.
6. If still tied, compare records against cross-divisional opponents in descending order of finish.
7. If still tied, team with highest CFP ranking.
8. If still tied, the representative will be the team that has not participated in the championship game most recently.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, akriesman said:

As mentioned, UAB plays at La Tech this week.    Big game. Before the season started, I thought this would be a toss up.  But, UAB is just not playing that well right now.

Game will be broadcasted on Facebook.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, akriesman said:

As mentioned, UAB plays at La Tech this week.    Big game. Before the season started, I thought this would be a toss up.  But, UAB is just not playing that well right now.

If UAB doesn't muff a punt on their own 5, get away from a running game that La Tech CANNOT stop, miss a field goal or get a field goal blocked....they'll have a good chance to win.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

18 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

I call this the Bahamas Bowl scenario

I wouldn't worry too much about that. ESPN owns the Dallas, Ft Worth, and Frisco bowls. ESPN wants to sell tickets and they have the ability to trade teams around to get butts in seats. North Texas would sell a lot for each of these bowls, and would even bring a large contingency to Shreveport.

We'll be fine.

• Upvote 2

I think y'all are giving LaTech a little too much credit. They will struggle to defend UAB's run offense (UAB D is good too), and Southern Miss D will give them trouble too.

Michael Lawrence ran free many times, but the offensive line wasn't giving Fine enough time to look his way.

LT will drop a couple games.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I think y'all are giving LaTech a little too much credit. They will struggle to defend UAB's run offense (UAB D is good too), and Southern Miss D will give them trouble too.

Michael Lawrence ran free many times, but the offensive line wasn't giving Fine enough time to look his way.

LT will drop a couple games.

I agree. But I think UAB and Southern Miss will be equally difficult for us.

15 minutes ago, Texas Stranger said:

scenario #2 is what scares me

Well, if the team wants a trip to the Bahamas, or Hawaii, over other bowl opportunities... instead of going down the road to Dallas/Ft.Worth/Frisco or to Albuquerque/Boca Raton, or waiting for the Independence Bowl & C-USA leadership to finish bending over for whichever ACC/SEC team landing there... then that's where they deserve to go. 

Unless we win the West, I bet LATech goes to New Orleans.

• Upvote 2