20' Offer: Joey Madimba; Mansfield Lakeridge

UNTLifer

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
46 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

With the caliber of recruits we have been signing, I hope not. Let Simmons’ eligibility run out and replace him with the same caliber recruit as we have been getting. 

I am ok with that as well, but I am a fan of redshirting freshman. I’m actually surprised Mac has done this every season he has been here (had someone redshirted). I would be all for redshirting 2 freshman every year if we could. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I am a huge McCasland fan, but I am somewhat concerned about his ability to develop HS players.  Have we had one of his HS recruits develop in to a major contributor?

Zach Simmons was basically his. His mom and I were talking about his recruitment, and she said he was leaning toward LSU with Benford but Coach Mac persuaded him to stay and he's happy he did. She said since she works the night shift, Coach Mac and I think someone else (maybe not) came to their house and that really moved him to stay. He has been a major contributor in my opinion.

Besides him, Mo was but of course he's gone, and we haven't had much time to see what Jalen Jackson can do but I feel he develops fine. 

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I am a huge McCasland fan, but I am somewhat concerned about his ability to develop HS players.  Have we had one of his HS recruits develop in to a major contributor?

I think you will see several of this year's class be major contributors. 

Time will tell about Jackson and I am not sure if Gibson was a Mac recruit, but he was definitely a contributor.

This is the first year that Mac has gone in a big way for HS players. 

Overall though MaCasland has been a great recruiter.  Blakeley's success was primarily based on Robbins' recruits and Jones' recruiting really did not take off till much later in his NT career. 

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Zach Simmons was basically his. His mom and I were talking about his recruitment, and she said he was leaning toward LSU with Benford but Coach Mac persuaded him to stay and he's happy he did. She said since she works the night shift, Coach Mac and I think someone else (maybe not) came to their house and that really moved him to stay. He has been a major contributor in my opinion.

Besides him, Mo was but of course he's gone, and we haven't had much time to see what Jalen Jackson can do but I feel he develops fine. 

That's a great story.  I thought Mo and Zach were both in Benford's last class.  Guess I was off a year.  I hope Wise develops and am looking forward to the HS'ers in this class.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

That's a great story.  I though Mo and Zach were both in Benford's last class.  Guess I was off a year.  I hope Wise develops and am looking forward to the HS'ers in this class.

Forgot about Wise. I think it's gonna take time

Simmons was apart of Benford but decided to stay, and I swear Mo was apart of Coach Mac's class

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I think you will see several of this year's class be major contributors. 

Time will tell about Jackson and I am not sure if Gibson was a Mac recruit, but he was definitely a contributor.

This is the first year that Mac has gone in a big way for HS players. 

Overall though MaCasland has been a great recruiter.  Blakeley's success was primarily based on Robbins' recruits and Jones' recruiting really did not take off till much later in his NT career. 

I like what I’ve seen of the new recruits on video but “great recruiter” doesn’t come to my mind. He has found enough guys to develop good chemistry and that’s the most important thing. Like JJ, he has gotten better. We still brought in guys like Mark Tikonenko, Tope Arikawe, Abdul Mohamed, Shakeem Alcindor, Jahmiah Simmons. We’re still waiting on Larry Wise (who was good at Waxahachie) to do something. Jalen Jackson is a tremendous athlete with incredible hops but he, like Umjoa Gipson, is not the point good you need at this level. Not in the same league as the 70’s and later. (Robbins, Blakely, Gales, Trilli, Jones and even Benford. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Cooley said:

I like what I’ve seen of the new recruits on video but “great recruiter” doesn’t come to my mind. He has found enough guys to develop good chemistry and that’s the most important thing. Like JJ, he has gotten better. We still brought in guys like Mark Tikonenko, Tope Arikawe, Abdul Mohamed, Shakeem Alcindor, Jahmiah Simmons. We’re still waiting on Larry Wise (who was good at Waxahachie) to do something. Jalen Jackson is a tremendous athlete with incredible hops but he, like Umjoa Gipson, is not the point good you need at this level. Not in the same league as the 70’s and later. (Robbins, Blakely, Gales, Trilli, Jones and even Benford. 

We will have to disagree on that, he did just win a championship and I believe one of his recruits was selected best in the league.  His last year class was borderline great and new signings look very promising. 

I think you can find many misses by every coach.  Benford and Triili were recruiters and not head coaches. Blakeley never won much with his own recruits. Trilli could not give away a ship after a couple of years and couldn't kept many of his better signees.  Jones' recruiting was very suspect until late in his NT career.  Gales had a couple of good classes but was far from consistent.  

Obviously, there is a lot of differences in recruiting to the MVC, Southland, Belt or CUSA.  Comparing different eras is difficult. But just based on the quality of the recruits, Robbins did the best. 

McCasland' is new to NT and D1, but had in my view a very good class last year and based on Rivals by far the best class signed in CUSA this year. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

16 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

We will have to disagree on that, he did just win a championship and I believe one of his recruits was selected best in the league.  His last year class was borderline great and new signings look very promising. 

I think you can find many misses by every coach.  Benford and Triili were recruiters and not head coaches. Blakeley never won much with his own recruits. Trilli could not give away a ship after a couple of years and couldn't kept many of his better signees.  Jones' recruiting was very suspect until late in his NT career.  Gales had a couple of good classes but was far from consistent.  

Obviously, there is a lot of differences in recruiting to the MVC, Southland, Belt or CUSA.  Comparing different eras is difficult. But just based on the quality of the recruits, Robbins did the best. 

McCasland' is new to NT and D1, but had in my view a very good class last year and based on Rivals by far the best class signed in CUSA this year. 

If he stays a few more years, his classes should be getting tremendously better. Of course winning helps too

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1