Secondary Vs La Tech

Talon90

One thing I have not seen discussed is our secondary play (all starters) against La Tech.  I focused on them most of the night.  Let me say this, they were beat numerous times on deep balls in the endzone and if J'mar Smith was as accurate as Fine a few of those field goals and maybe a punt or two would have been touchdowns.  La Tech's receivers are good especially Handy and are the most talented we will see on our schedule.  

Is our defense a lot better than last year? Yes.  Is it good enough to face Top 25 QB/WR talent?  No.  Our secondary should be fine against the rest of CUSA but if we win out we could play against a lower top 25 team it could get ugly. If we had gone undefeated and played in a New Year's Day Bowl against a Top 10-15 team I think our defense would have given up a lot of points.

I point this out because we have made a huge improvement with our defense in a short time but to put them up against an elite programs offense we are not there yet.

Edited by Talon90
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Talon90 said:

I agree but the plays I am referring to this wasn't happening.

Yeah, I found it kind of odd.  There were times (several times) when Smith had all day to throw and couldn't find anyone open, which I assume means our DB's had great coverage.  Then there were the times you mentioned in your original post.

Edited by NT93

15 hours ago, NT93 said:

Yeah, I found it kind of odd.  There were times (several times) when Smith had all day to throw and couldn't find anyone open, which I assume means our DB's had great coverage.  Then there were the times you mentioned in your original post.

I would have to watch it again to verify this and I refuse to watch it again. 

23 hours ago, Talon90 said:

One thing I have not seen discussed is our secondary play (all starters) against La Tech.  I focused on them most of the night.  Let me say this, they were beat numerous times on deep balls in the endzone and if J'mar Smith was as accurate as Fine a few of those field goals and maybe a punt or two would have been touchdowns.  La Tech's receivers are good especially Handy and are the most talented we will see on our schedule.  

Is our defense a lot better than last year? Yes.  Is it good enough to face Top 25 QB/WR talent?  No.  Our secondary should be fine against the rest of CUSA but if we win out we could play against a lower top 25 team it could get ugly. If we had gone undefeated and played in a New Year's Day Bowl against a Top 10-15 team I think our defense would have given up a lot of points.

I point this out because we have made a huge improvement with our defense in a short time but to put them up against an elite programs offense we are not there yet.

Not that Arkansas is a top 25 team, but we held them to 17 (on the road)..... the same number of points A&M did (at aggieland) our defense is fine... everyone needs to have a cold one and relax.  We had a bad game most teams do.  

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1