Some recent observations on the board have compelled me to say something.  For example, in a recent thread, I noticed a post with which I disagreed.  So I posted my differing view and my reason for holding that differing view.  Somehow I recently re-viewed that same post I disagreed with, and found that the board had gone absolutely nuts downvoting it.  I don't get it.  I never downvoted it, and I rarely if ever downvote a post simply because I disagree with it.  I may downvote a post because I think it's out of line (language, personal attacks, etc.).  But if I notice that a post has already hit minus 3 or so, I lay off.  It seems I use a whole lot of my up-votes giving them to posts I disagree with, but that I feel have been excessively downvoted.  I don't really notice when a post (mine or someone else's) has a couple of votes one way or the other, but it's hard to miss when someone's post has gone to -8, -15, or -20.  And at that point it seems like a personal attack.

I have lately noticed people tentatively posting, "I may get blasted for this, but..."  Shouldn't we welcome differing opinions?  Even if I don't agree with it, a post I disagree with is usually the one providing me things to think about that otherwise would not have occurred to me.

I'm not asking for a "safe space for snowflakes."  If anything, I'm saying the opposite.  This website ought to be a place where fans who bleed green can freely offer their differing opinions, and still be friendly toward each other.  So am I asking that the board limit the amount of downvotes a post can receive, or eliminate the downvote altogether?  It probably wouldn't hurt.  But I'm mostly offering the suggestion that folks here not gang up on a poster who has already been sufficiently downvoted.

And yes, I know this post is a magnet for downvotes. 😃

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 2
  • Downvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

The thing about "downvotes" that gets me is when someone gets one for a positive-type post.  For example, Emmitt posted the picture of his kid and got a downvote.  Seems as though there are some who downvote any post by certain other members.  I wouldn't go so far as to say it bothers me, I just don't get it.

Personally, I don't mind getting downvoted on my opinions.  Quite frankly, if I'm getting a lot of downvotes maybe I need to at least reexamine my position...except on "uniform talk."  I think a downvote is inevitable no matter your opinion on uniforms😁

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1