UTEP Road Trip

Cerebus

41 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Nobody?  Folks Southwest to El Paso is a cheap round trip, consider it in the future.

I wanted to go. Its home. Kids... If you or anyone else need a heads up up on cool places to go, let me know.

Also, for anyone going, there will be plenty of seats. You'll want to sit on the press box side. The people are way nicer. (Season ticket side) Seating isn't going to be an issue. The other side was a bit miserable last time I watched us play there.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UNTexas said:

I wanted to go. Its home. Kids... If you or anyone else need a heads up up on cool places to go, let me know.

Also, for anyone going, there will be plenty of seats. You'll want to sit on the press box side. The people are way nicer. (Season ticket side) Seating isn't going to be an issue. The other side was a bit miserable last time I watched us play there.

Which restaurants offer the best margaritas? Have seen Carlos and Mickeys marketing that, but would love some local insights. Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Which restaurants offer the best margaritas? Have seen Carlos and Mickeys marketing that, but would love some local insights. Thanks in advance!

Carlos and Mickey's is okay. Its where they tell everyone to go from out of town. L&Js by the Concordia Cemetery is a cool place for drinks and good food. The Dome bar downtown is good too. If you have to time, hit Chopes on highway 28 between Cruces and the westside of EP. Great dive bar with great food. Its not far from Old Mesilla which is a cool place to check out. If you want a steak Cattlemen's in Fabens. Its a ways out there though. Pre-game if you don't tailgate, Cincinnati Street is where I go to eat and drink. My favorite restaurant is the Riviera on Doniphan. Great food and really cool little dive bar. Acietunas beer garden is in the same parking lot so its win win.

Edited by UNTexas

13 hours ago, UNTexas said:

Where should I park if I want to avoid fighting some grandpa in the parking lot?  Or is that considered a vital part of UTEP gameday tradition?  

11 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I look forward to making the Alamodome green in November.

Be safe down there. Those people are viscous. Been there twice, once with my 2 yr old and I was cussed at and heckled the entire game both times. I know all fan bases have their $h!t heads but I feel as though they are all like that

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

Where should I park if I want to avoid fighting some grandpa in the parking lot?  Or is that considered a vital part of UTEP gameday tradition?  

You'll have to fight this guy or challenge him to feats of strength no matter what. There's parking access on Mesa (Main drag near UTEP) by the basketball stadium and also around Cincinnati and Mesa. Both are short walks but Cincinnati has bars and restaurants. 

download (2).jpeg

Edited by UNTexas
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, UNTexas said:

You'll have to fight this guy or challenge him to feats of strength no matter what. There's parking access on Mesa (Main drag near UTEP) by the basketball stadium and also around Cincinnati and Mesa. Both are short walks but Cincinnati has bars and restaurants. 

download (2).jpeg

Reminds me of a night in Edinburg many years ago! The police showed up and grabbed the guy. They said "Mr. Gomez, we're going to charge you with affray!". He shouted at them "Who's affray, man?! Who's affray?!".

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

I just can't bring myself to take a long road trip any more. Haven't been to El Paso in years, but I remember the FIRST time...

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bb524124d72754251 DROP, FAT F__K, AND GIVE ME 20!

Those words still ring in my ears. 

• Haha 1

I'm on the 9:35am flight out of Love to El Paso and flying back Sunday night.  Going with a buddy who is a UTEP grad who I've forced into caring about C-USA football.  I love to point out the week after week performance of UTEP... he loves saying they're saving their one win for North Texas.

We were talking about going out to Cattlemans Steakhouse for a meal on Sunday.  I don't think we'd have enough time after the game to make the drive.

I'll take some pics.  We still don't have tickets, haven't decided if I should sit visitors section or buy some 50yd line tickets.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I'm on the 9:35am flight out of Love to El Paso and flying back Sunday night.  Going with a buddy who is a UTEP grad who I've forced into caring about C-USA football.  I love to point out the week after week performance of UTEP... he loves saying they're saving their one win for North Texas.

We were talking about going out to Cattlemans Steakhouse for a meal on Sunday.  I don't think we'd have enough time after the game to make the drive.

I'll take some pics.  We still don't have tickets, haven't decided if I should sit visitors section or buy some 50yd line tickets.

You don't want to do Cattlemen's on game day. Friday night or Sunday. I always have to sleep afterwards. Go 50 yard line on the pressbox side. Real UTEP fans and alumni sit there. Non-UTEP alumni towny fans sit on the other side and are moronic, annoying, belligerent savages to each other but especially opposing fans. I'm from there, grew up as a season ticket holder and thought I would be fighting last time because i was in green. It really is ridiculous behavior out of these folks.

Edited by UNTexas

9 hours ago, Withers940 said:

Be safe down there. Those people are viscous. Been there twice, once with my 2 yr old and I was cussed at and heckled the entire game both times. I know all fan bases have their $h!t heads but I feel as though they are all like that

Same experience. I wouldn't take my kids there in green. They really do have a classless hateful fanbase. Viscous is the best description. 

• Lovely Take 1

15 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Non-UTEP alumni towny fans sit on the other side and are moronic, annoying, belligerent savages to each other but especially opposing fans.

I'll have you know I grew up going to Miner games and I, for one, was definitely NOT a belligerent savage thankyouverymuch.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I'll have you know I grew up going to Miner games and I, for one, was definitely NOT a belligerent savage thankyouverymuch.

giphy.gif

I was one too! The Sunbowl use to be so much better. I grew up going to games. Im not sure we missed many in the 80s and early 90s. I went back to watch us play and couldn't believe how bad the atmosphere was. A lot of people were just vile to us.