Abner Haynes signing autographs in Frisco 10/20

@UNTSportsFan

17 hours ago, Marty said:

Just finished reading The Game Changers. I may take it to Frisco & get it signed by Abner. Fantastic book by the way. Now that we have Mean Joe’s statue, we need to somehow recognize Abner & Leon Kings contributions.

Amen, Marty!

An Abner Haynes Story (he told many of us downtown Dallas at Old One Main Place back in the 1970's).  This story some of you know and I as recall I believe its in his book. 

Well, the story goes......North Texas was taking a train down to the Bayou City to play the U of Houston Cougars in the mid 1950's.  We were both in the Missouri Valley Conference at the time.  So, the train arrives in Houston stops behind the hotel where  our team would stay.   Hotel officials told Coach Mitchell that Abner & Leon would not be allowed to stay in the hotel because of the segregation.😡   Unfortunately, an ugly era in our country (Jim Crow, etc) was happening in the South & Southwest.   

Long story short , the entire North Texas football team’s attitude was...”If Abner & Leon can't come inside that hotel with the team then we are staying on the train with them" (& they did).    

We have had some great athletes & human beings walk down "the Corridor of Years" at all of our's favorite school.   You know, we may not always have everything in common but what we do have in common is...the University of North Texas & the Mean Green!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, @UNTSportsFan said:

2AE3C17F-D9BB-4840-A997-7A64B9DE39E8.jpeg.13bee5bf46af4ea7a10ce8eca8f317c3.jpegson & I just got back ..what a great man..  full of stories & jokes 

Sports jealous!  That is awesome. 

I love what Joe Greene has done and continues to do for our university, but I have always felt Mr. Haynes has been somewhat overlooked. He is really someone that should be celebrated for what he and Mr. King endured and for what he accomplished in his career. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1