Game Day Parking Observation

akriesman

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but the crowd of people trying to cross the pedestrian bridge was INSANE. There had to be about 9,000 people trying to cross it at once and the hoard of humanity backed all the way to the Alumni Pavilion. My group gave up after 5 minutes and only moving about 20 feet. We ended up going over to North Texas Blvd and walking over since car traffic was blocked from going over the bridge. IMO, they need to do a better job of letting people know that is also an option to get back to Fouts when the pedestrian bridge is completely overrun.

While it sucks (I left 30 minutes after 0:00 and still took 30 minutes to exit the lot)

I love it!

The more the merrier, let's just make campfires and sing kumbaya next time because we won't be as grumpy when we win our next home game.

Sure the layout could be improved with another exit point (and a widening of Bonnie Brae that won't begin for another year or more) but I say let's break the attendance record one mo time and win out the rest of the home slate.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

I have confidence that a lot of the issues can be worked out. You have to remember that until you actually have 30k people in the building, it's hard to know exactly how things are going to look/work when everyone tries to leave at once. Since this game was close until the very end, that contributed to most of those 30k being there until the end. Normally, people trickle out during the second half so there's not 30k heading out at the same time. I think some of the Blue lot issues had to do with the fact that until this year this lot was just never that full, due to not publicly selling access to these lots. This has contributed to not having the last 7 years to help work through this issue.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Need some advice:

Its been 5 years since I've been able to get to a game (out of towner, babies born, etc.) but we are going this weekend. I'm cheap so I'm thinking I'll park in the Orange lot (Fouts) Is this a good/bad idea?

28 minutes ago, MeanGreengdub said:

Need some advice:

Its been 5 years since I've been able to get to a game (out of towner, babies born, etc.) but we are going this weekend. I'm cheap so I'm thinking I'll park in the Orange lot (Fouts) Is this a good/bad idea?

The earlier you get there the better an idea it is.  

So game is at 3...I figured we'd try to get there about 2 or 2:15. Is that early enough to be ok? What time does gate open?

The more I think about it, I might just splurge and go Blue lot. I've got a 4 year old who may not be great walking back over the bridge. Sounds like it sucks getting out of Blue lot but if I'm at least in the car, he won't whine. Blue lot seems to be the preferred choice on the board after reading this thread (despite past issues).

Edited by MeanGreengdub

47 minutes ago, Aldo said:

If you're leaving from the alumni side, it's near the same distance

This is true.
From the Alumni side, if you leave out of the North gate by the alumni pavillion, it's a straight shot over the bridge to the Fouts lot.
If you leave from the south side, you walk around the Athletic Building & Victory Hall to the Blue Lot.   It's really about the same distance (maybe slightly longer to get to the Fouts lot), but there's a $15-20 difference in price.

• Upvote 1