DRC breaking news: UNT to unveil facilities master plan this morning

Brett Vito

Any idea on how many extra seats they'll be able to add with the removal of the video board? Or will it be more of a pavillion? 

This is incredible. Shows that Baker and Smastresk are for real and want to turn UNT into a big time athletic program. We're in the middle of a hot-bed for recruiting, imagine being able to draw some of the bigger recruits over here with those new facilities in place. 

Also, Wren Baker seems super passionate about UNT athletics. Did he graduate from UNT, or does he just love his job? Is he planning on being around for a long time? 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

23 minutes ago, meangreen2016 said:

Any idea on how many extra seats they'll be able to add with the removal of the video board? Or will it be more of a pavillion? 

This is incredible. Shows that Baker and Smastresk are for real and want to turn UNT into a big time athletic program. We're in the middle of a hot-bed for recruiting, imagine being able to draw some of the bigger recruits over here with those new facilities in place

Also, Wren Baker seems super passionate about UNT athletics. Did he graduate from UNT, or does he just love his job? Is he planning on being around for a long time? 

Wren is just super passionate about his job.  He graduated from Southeast Oklahoma State University (Durant) and got his master's from Oklahoma State University.  He is talented and well-connected.

• Upvote 3

The visuals, including the video are awesome, and it is nice to be able what their overall vision is. And I really do mean that the visuals are important when you go to donors and ask them for moneys. I think Wren has reaaaallly understood how important visuals are when you want to sell something.

If I have a nitpick, then it is that there are very few details on the "future projects. I mean you get to see where things are supposed to be, but not much else.

Edited by outoftown

14 minutes ago, outoftown said:

The visuals, including the video are awesome, and it is nice to be able what their overall vision is. And I really do mean that the visuals are important when you go to donors and ask them for moneys. I think Wren has reaaaallly understood how important visuals are when you want to sell something.

If I have a nitpick, then it is that there are very few details on the "future projects. I mean you get to see where things are supposed to be, but not much else.

Reason is the philosophy of one project at a time. The Ath Bldg is next at about $30m with 1/2 coming from the University! Based on space it sounds like it will be 3x the size it is now! We are sooooo fortunate to have the land all in the same area!!

• Thanks 1

I was originally opposed to getting rid of the large video board but I now think there is definitely more reward in doing so. The suites, etc. in the athletic center will be a great seat.

Overall, I am truly impressed and am so excited for the future of this program. I am so thankful for Smatresk and Baker in changing the culture surrounding Mean Green Athletics.

I'm curious to see more details about the new basketball arena when we get there. Lower and upper level seats and the capacity makes me think they'll try to echo the College Park Center at UTA. Also, glad the volleyball team will be getting out of that high school gym.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

I don't know if the land could be obtained, but I would like to see the expanded Bonnie Brae routed west of the railroad tracks and the new tailgating lots and rejoining the current route south of Willowwood Street. A major thoroughfare where it currently sits is going to be a safety nightmare especially with all the developments planned for southwestern Denton and northern Argyle.

• Confused 1

Eliminate the current video board so we can expand the athletic center significantly? Sounds good to me.  Current AC was built way too small, but it is so much better than what we had before at Fouts.

Have two video boards located elsewhere? No so much.

What needs to be done is remove the “wing zone” and bowl that end of the stadium in. Put a new Jumbotron on that end of the stadium, above the new bowled in end zone.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Eliminate the current video board so we can expand the athletic center significantly? Sounds good to me.  Current AC was built way too small, but it is so much better than what we had before at Fouts.

Have two video boards located elsewhere? No so much.

What needs to be done is remove the “wing zone” and bowl that end of the stadium in. Put a new Jumbotron on that end of the stadium, above the new bowled in end zone.

Curious to know why so many people are in favor of eliminating the wing in favor of making it a bowl? With a bowl you would be just as far if not further from the action. Why would anyone find this more appealing? The current wing does not fill up because people have some lack of desire to sit there.... it’s because there are always empty seats else where. To me, removing the wing zone and making it a bowl just seems like spending money for the sake of spending money. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Snowy said:

Curious to know why so many people are in favor of eliminating the wing in favor of making it a bowl? With a bowl you would be just as far if not further from the action. Why would anyone find this more appealing? The current wing does not fill up because people have some lack of desire to sit there.... it’s because there are always empty seats else where. To me, removing the wing zone and making it a bowl just seems like spending money for the sake of spending money. 

After Saturday's game... I like the wing.  It looks good filled up!

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Ray 1

1 hour ago, Snowy said:

I understand what you are saying.  I truly like the "wing zone".  It is iconic and a billboard of sorts for UNT football.  I just question the idea of having two smaller video boards for replay, stats, and advertising.

• Lovely Take 1

56 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I understand what you are saying.  I truly like the "wing zone".  It is iconic and a billboard of sorts for UNT football.  I just question the idea of having two smaller video boards for replay, stats, and advertising.

The plan is to have 4 corner video boards. All smaller than the South board now, but bigger than the current corner board. 

• Lovely Take 1

11 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

tenor.gif

25 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

The plan is to have 4 corner video boards. All smaller than the South board now, but bigger than the current corner board. 

My understanding was that each corner was going to have a screen as big as the center one is now. If you really consider it, the center board is not that big at present. And then the audio will lighter but put more surround around the stadium with each screen. Also, ribbon boards would be coming as well.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Christopher Walker said:

My understanding was that each corner was going to have a screen as big as the center one is now. If you really consider it, the center board is not that big at present. And then the audio will lighter but put more surround around the stadium with each screen. Also, ribbon boards would be coming as well.

Location of a ribbon board on the pressbox side makes sense but where would they go on the opposite side of the stadium?

9 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Location of a ribbon board on the pressbox side makes sense but where would they go on the opposite side of the stadium?

I imagine something along the lines of the small strip ribbons behind the sidelines at the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium:

And before someone says, "yeah Christopher, but that's the most moneyed stadium on the planet", I'd say it's the new marker by which everyone here after will find cost effective ways to replicate.