DRC breaking news: UNT to unveil facilities master plan this morning

Brett Vito

11 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

Looks pretty good! 

I still think the Super Pit should be salvaged in favor of new construction. Also, I think baseball isn’t worth adding when it’s becoming less and less popular nationwide, but that’s beating a dead horse apparently  

As stated before the Super Pit is run by the University not Athletics. That means UNT events have priority over all basketball events and practices. New facility will seat 6-7,000 competition court plus 2 practice courts.and volleyball. Being built on the hill will look amazing from 35! GMG

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Wait...I thought all momentum stopped when we lost to La Tech?

Whew - I feared we would discontinue all athletic programs after our 2 pt loss to la tech    😉

Love the master plan... I've gone back-and-forth between a new basketball facility versus an Athletics/University combined effort to enhance the Super Pit... but this new plan includes Volleyball and practice courts in the new basketball arena which is nice.

I've also gone back-and-forth about resurrecting baseball.  I do believe having baseball makes us more attractive to other conferences as we claw our way up the food chain and would give the athletic department more ways to advertise the university during Spring and early Summer.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

As stated before the Super Pit is run by the University not Athletics. That means UNT events have priority over all basketball events and practices. New facility will seat 6-7,000 competition court plus 2 practice courts.and volleyball. Being built on the hill will look amazing from 35! GMG

Here I was thinking that the University and the Athletics department are on the same team and should work together. I get it though, I just like the old school allure of the Pit. 

14 minutes ago, ForneyGreen said:

I've also gone back-and-forth about resurrecting baseball.  I do believe having baseball makes us more attractive to other conferences as we claw our way up the food chain and would give the athletic department more ways to advertise the university during Spring and early Summer.

I understand the appeal of bringing baseball back, I just think at a university with finite resources, there are better uses of funding.

GallupSportsPop2017.png.ea60de73be0ee1803a45e10e7714b242.png

https://news.gallup.com/poll/224864/football-americans-favorite-sport-watch.aspx

Edited by meangreenlax
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Stan R said:

ugh, does appear we're removing our glorious large jumbotron for two smaller ones just to either side of the renovated and expanded athletic center.  I could be convinced otherwise with more details but I'm not liking this.  No bueno. 

Allow me to quote... myself. 😁.   I propose we suspend our mega-tron mid field using suspension cables and helium balloons.  Wren, make it so... 🤣

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Stan R said:

ugh, does appear we're removing our glorious large jumbotron for two smaller ones just to either side of the renovated and expanded athletic center.  I could be convinced otherwise with more details but I'm not liking this.  No bueno. 

The new ones will be close to the size of the megaton. This will open that area for additional seating, special events and views from th Ath Bldg. They also want to add on to that side moving it closer to the field. Would also add suites.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

The new ones will be close to the size of the megaton. This will open that area for additional seating, special events and views from th Ath Bldg. They also want to add on to that side moving it closer to the field. Would also add suites.

So be it, not crazy about it since it sort of takes out the central main screen everyone looks at - but the additional space, additional seats and new suites are great.  Would be good to see a rendering of the new AC/Screens from the front. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

We need a larger video screen period.  Have you seen Oklahoma States?  Yes, I know they are Big 12 but if you can put a larger one at Apogee why would conference affiliation even matter?  

I do like the veranda being used for more seating if that’s what they are going to do.

Why do we have the propensity to make things smaller up there?  Is our school’s enrollment shrinking or is this merely all those decades of OldDenton group think in play? (Go for it anonymous keyboard warriors). 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

14 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Like what TCU has?

• Lovely Take 1

10 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I was at Toyota Stadium on Friday night for a HS football game.  They have the stage area in one end zone with two large jumbo trons on either side.  It's a good setup and will work good for us.  

So it looks like the hill and blue lot stay as is and they build a new tailgating area over where the current softball and soccer field are? 

Interesting.  I wonder how that will be tiered/priced out. 

I like downsizing the basketball arena.  I know we have our affections to the pit, but it so often seems cavernous and dark in there.  

The natatorium intrigues me. 

Somebody above mentioned a five-line Bonnie Brae.  Where is that in this plan, because I don't see it, and it really needs to happen.

==========================================================================================================

Also, baseball stadium. 

HAHAHAHAHALOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!NEVERGONNAHAPPEN!!!!LOLOLOLOHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! 

/rant

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 4

22 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Somebody above mentioned a five-line Bonnie Brae.  Where is that in this plan, because I don't see it, and it really needs to happen.

One day the City of Denton will expand Bonnie Brae ... one day.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 3