Praise for Mason Fine (and how far we've come)

meangreen2016

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Do you really believe that NT could have substituted a QB and won?  I sure don't.   You do realize that no QB has got meaningful minutes other than Fine.  The offensive line couldn't pass block their shadow, a new inexperienced QB would have been destroyed. 

The coaching staff decides who plays not the players.   A hobbled Fine was NT's best option for winning the game.  It may not have been a good decision to leave Fine in, but it sure didn't diminish NT's chances to win.   

You can certainly question the decision to not pull Fine for fear of injury, but not because NT has better options at QB.  

This is correct. A hobbled Fine is our best option. Has anyone watched the series Quinn’s played this year. Forget about the one drive against Iowa when they hadn’t prepared for him last year. Quinn has struggled this year. We were playing for an undefeated season and outside chance at New Years 6 bowl. If your star QB says he can and wants to go, you let him go. On the last two drives he still threw several lasers including one of his back foot across the field to Guyton on a 3rd and 15. He converted again he on a 3rd and 13 to Guyton. 

4 hours ago, largekfcbucket said:

Personally, I think Kason should start. 

The true freshman that isn't even a blip on the depth chart like the other freshman mentioned in this thread, Jason Bean?  Yep, you should be running the show. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

As much as I want to praise him for his toughness and as much shit as I'm going to get for saying this, his unwillingness to take himself out of the game could have been a deciding factor.  I don't like to play the what if game, but he was not able to operate the offense like it should have been in his condition.  He made some good plays but him keeping himself in the game, while a display of toughness, was also a display of arrogance on both the part of himself and the coaches (for not pulling  him), one that might have lost us the game.  I love Mason Fine, he is a fantastic quarterback, but he was a liability on the field, and while he put us in a position to get the last minute field goal at the end, we stalled on the previous two drives with him hobbled.  He should have taken himself out of the game or the coaches should have done it for him, end of story.

Edit: Also failed to make mention of this, it is a long season.  If him moving around on that knee made the injury worse and we lose him for more games, he did us an even worse disservice. 

I keep reading this sentiment, about MF being in the game or not and I question if some of y’all ever played football at all?🙄

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 2

6 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Attacking my intelligence is definitely a logical farcically.  And if you don't understand that changing to Shanbour, especially in the last couple of drives with his run first mindset, it could have been the change of pace we needed to win.  I'm not saying that would have happened.  Again, it's stupid to speculate, but we have guys behind Fine that can do work at QB.  The only thing that kept him on the field was Arrogance, both on him and the coaches. 

Edit: lol I misspelled fallacy, thanks autocorret 

It's not arrogance by Mason, it's competitiveness.  If he wanted to come out of the game, he's probably not the guy you want leading your team.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

This is correct. A hobbled Fine is our best option. Has anyone watched the series Quinn’s played this year. Forget about the one drive against Iowa when they hadn’t prepared for him last year. Quinn has struggled this year. We were playing for an undefeated season and outside chance at New Years 6 bowl. If your star QB says he can and wants to go, you let him go. On the last two drives he still threw several lasers including one of his back foot across the field to Guyton on a 3rd and 15. He converted again he on a 3rd and 13 to Guyton. 

Forget about Iowa? Coming in cold and taking the team in for a TD with just a few seconds left on the clock.....Mason Fine style? Iowa may have prepared  for some of  Fine's way of playing, but mainly they prepared for the offensive system.......which Shanbour (in his brief stint) worked to perfection. He didn't run any trick plays, he just took off on a 7 or 8 yard run, then threw (according to the announcer) a "perfect" pass to Lawrence on the sideline. And then, whilst rolling out, he threw a perfect throw  to Guyton or Bussy, I can't remember which.  

Struggling? How has he been doing that? All he's allowed to do when he goes in is run the ball......which he does better than Fine. But you want to know the ironic thing about that? His running ability was not what caught my attention when I first noticed him in practice. It was his throwing ability, which included the quickest release I had ever personally witnessed. He wasn't able to run because he was recovering from turf toe. When he was allowed to go through 11 on 11 drills he would often throw the ball so hard that receivers would often drop it. So (IMHO) he's had to dial it back some.

For whatever my opinion is worth, in the fall of Fine's freshman year I assessed Quinn as having a better arm than Fine and Morris, and he was a step faster than either of them. But what I also assessed was that Fine seemed to "ooze confidence from every pore".  Which is not to say that QS was lacking confidence.....it just wasn't as obvious.

If Fine is not able to go this Saturday, it should be QS starting, with Cade Pearson backing him up. I haven't seen Bean enough to totally assess his readiness, but Martin was too raw in the spring to consider putting him out there at this time.

• Upvote 5

As I stated on this forum 2 years ago that  Mason Fine would end up being very special for us if we kept him healthy.  (I followed him  his senior year at Locust Grove as I was intrigued with his story back then).

I though he was going to get permanently  maimed during the Florida Gators game his freshman year, though.  That same thought ran past my mind last Saturday night vs La Tech. (You gotta’ block for the franchise, guys).

GMG! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

You’re kidding me right? So that “reset” button talk is all BS? How about wining it because it is a damn CUSA west game? I’d rather be 1-4 right now with a 1-0 conference record than 4-1 with an 0-1 conference record. You do realize our only chance of winning conference now depends on LaTech failing?

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

My only concern for Mason is/was the same I have for Hall.

Hall came out in agony in the second quarter.  Still not sure what his injury was.  He tried to come back in the 3rd quarter.  1st play from scrimmage, they throw at him to test him.  He makes the tackle and looks even worse for it, leaving the game immediately.   If that one play makes a difference between losing him for just the LATech game & losing him for multiple games... he/coaches/trainers/someone made a mistake.

If that same scenario would have played out for Fine, I'd be saying the same thing.   Fortunately, it looked like some tape & some cortisone was enough to get him through.   You simply cannot question his toughness.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Forget about Iowa? Coming in cold and taking the team in for a TD with just a few seconds left on the clock.....Mason Fine style? Iowa may have prepared  for some of  Fine's way of playing, but mainly they prepared for the offensive system.......which Shanbour (in his brief stint) worked to perfection. He didn't run any trick plays, he just took off on a 7 or 8 yard run, then threw (according to the announcer) a "perfect" pass to Lawrence on the sideline. And then, whilst rolling out, he threw a perfect throw  to Guyton or Bussy, I can't remember which.  

Struggling? How has he been doing that? All he's allowed to do when he goes in is run the ball......which he does better than Fine. But you want to know the ironic thing about that? His running ability was not what caught my attention when I first noticed him in practice. It was his throwing ability, which included the quickest release I had ever personally witnessed. He wasn't able to run because he was recovering from turf toe. When he was allowed to go through 11 on 11 drills he would often throw the ball so hard that receivers would often drop it. So (IMHO) he's had to dial it back some.

For whatever my opinion is worth, in the fall of Fine's freshman year I assessed Quinn as having a better arm than Fine and Morris, and he was a step faster than either of them. But what I also assessed was that Fine seemed to "ooze confidence from every pore".  Which is not to say that QS was lacking confidence.....it just wasn't as obvious.

If Fine is not able to go this Saturday, it should be QS starting, with Cade Pearson backing him up. I haven't seen Bean enough to totally assess his readiness, but Martin was too raw in the spring to consider putting him out there at this time.

Plus one. Always liked Shanbour, even though he hasn't seen a lot of love from most. Excellent runner, and good field general and short passer. Haven't seen enough to comment on his down field abilities. Let's get Mason healthy.

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You’re kidding me right? So that “reset” button talk is all BS? How about wining it because it is a damn CUSA west game? I’d rather be 1-4 right now with a 1-0 conference record than 4-1 with an 0-1 conference record. You do realize our only chance of winning conference now depends on LaTech failing?

I think you are misunderstanding me. Playing for the West was the focus. My comment was Mason by far gave us the best chance to win the game. It was a critically important game for a lot of reasons. So that's why you play him if he can physically go.

7 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I love Quinn. I think he's an awesome kid. His combined two year QB rating is is 114. This year it is 79. Mason has a career rating of 138 including 149 the last two years and 154 this year. Obviously our coaches who watch practice every day and coach the kids every day felt like Mason gave us the best chance to win even if he was limping. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meangreenJW said:

I love Quinn. I think he's an awesome kid. His combined two year QB rating is is 114. This year it is 79. Mason has a career rating of 138 including 149 the last two years and 154 this year. Obviously our coaches who watch practice every day and coach the kids every day felt like Mason gave us the best chance to win even if he was limping. 

Well, the Iowa game is proof enough that they would have to carry Fine off the field before the coaching staff would put someone else in. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1