DRC: UNT evaluating injured players

Brett Vito

Does I bother anybody else that Seth doesn’t comment on injuries? I would love an open and honest coach that tells the team business to its fan base who donates to his salary. It always feels like the government trying to deal under the table and keep us in the dark even though our tax dollars pay their salaries. Keep the people who pay your salary and keep this team afloat in the loop. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 22

Just now, Andrew said:

Doesn’t it other anybody else that Seth doesn’t comment on injuries? I would love an open and honest coach that tells the team business to its fan base who donates to his salary. It always feels like the government trying to deal under the table and keep us in the dark even though our tax dollars pay their salaries. Keep the people who pay your salary and keep this team afloat in the loop. 

I feel you very much. Also this may be ok with many when things go well, but if the team does bad, it then means that you don't actually know why. At that point I put it on the coach. Is how I had it with MacCarney.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

1 hour ago, Eagleisland said:

My thoughts. If any of them are still hobbled at the end of this week, then we need to go with our back-ups. If we are so thin, that we cannot beat UTEP with what else we have, then we never would have "run the table" anyway, as doing so takes, skill, depth and a degree of luck.

Particularly Mason. Sit him unless the other guys are totally inept.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Doesn’t it other anybody else that Seth doesn’t comment on injuries? I would love an open and honest coach that tells the team business to its fan base who donates to his salary. It always feels like the government trying to deal under the table and keep us in the dark even though our tax dollars pay their salaries. Keep the people who pay your salary and keep this team afloat in the loop. 

There's a good chance he has some idea what is going on, but he probably doesn't know everything right after a game about what is going on with every player. I'm comfortable with people keeping their mouths shut until they have the facts.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

To heal and/or rest Mason, I would have confidence in preparing Shanbour this week and starting him at UTEP.

UTEP doesn't need to know until the first offensive possession next Saturday.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

21 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Why, as a fan, do you need minute by minute updates on injuries? Not knowing a player’s injury status has no influence on my support of this team.

Im all for keeping that information out of the press. Opponent coaches don’t need to know that either.

Agreed, it's not like they are on your fantasy team or something. No need to give the opposing team any idea as to whats going on

You make em starters for this Saturday making the other team strategize for those key players and then do a switcheroo at the last minute.

• Lovely Take 1

12 minutes ago, akriesman said:

I would be shocked if Easly returns any time soon.   He couldn't put any weight on that leg at all 😞

Easly has suffered a torn ACL in the past, not sure which knee, but my first reaction was not again.  It was a non-contact injury and occurred on his cut.  His reaction and the fact that it was non-contact made me fear this.

Regarding the sharing, HIPPA has something to say as well.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Easly has suffered a torn ACL in the past, not sure which knee, but my first reaction was not again.  It was a non-contact injury and occurred on his cut.  His reaction and the fact that it was non-contact made me fear this.

Regarding the sharing, HIPPA has something to say as well.

A DRC article said that he's suffered TWO ACL injuries, one in HS and the other at SFA. Also, this is good news: I've suffered an ACL tear on both knees, and was up and walking mere minutes after they happened. So, it may not be an ACL, if he's anything like me. Lemme tell ya, too, he's a tougher dude than me in a lot of ways.

21 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Why, as a fan, do you need minute by minute updates on injuries? Not knowing a player’s injury status has no influence on my support of this team.

Im all for keeping that information out of the press. Opponent coaches don’t need to know that either.

Why release information on anything? 2-deep? Don't need it.  Who signs in February? Wouldn't want opposition to know who's with us!

...point being, fans want information because they want to get excited about their team, or they want to know if we're going to ride the struggle bus against a rival.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

19 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Clearly injuries are the same as who's on the team or in the 2-deep...

If it has to do with the odds to win the next game, and/or the excitement of the direction of the program, someone is going to want to know.  I didn't think that was too hard or such a big stretch.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

33 minutes ago, greenminer said:

If it has to do with the odds to win the next game, and/or the excitement of the direction of the program, someone is going to want to know.  I didn't think that was too hard or such a big stretch.

I guess I just can't relate to that. My excitement or desire to see a game has never been contingent upon who's injured or not.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2018 at 2:14 PM, Andrew said:

Does I bother anybody else that Seth doesn’t comment on injuries? I would love an open and honest coach that tells the team business to its fan base who donates to his salary. It always feels like the government trying to deal under the table and keep us in the dark even though our tax dollars pay their salaries. Keep the people who pay your salary and keep this team afloat in the loop. 

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Why release information on anything? 2-deep? Don't need it.  Who signs in February? Wouldn't want opposition to know who's with us!

...point being, fans want information because they want to get excited about their team, or they want to know if we're going to ride the struggle bus against a rival.

As a fan, sure I'd like to know. But I'd say two things. 1) Fans don't have a "right" to know. Student-athlete and their grades and health are protected by FERPA and HIPPA. So the safe play by is say less. What if an athlete later claimed their chances at playing pro were hurt because too much injury information was disclosed. 2) I'd rather my coach be focused on winning that making sure I know exactly every detail of injuries. In all 3 of these injury cases, UTEP's gameplan will adjust. No mason fine, they'll stack the box. None of our other QBs would throw as much as Mason. No Hall, that's where we'll throw the ball when we throw, etc. UTEP not knowing makes it harder to gameplan. And what should be most important to Coach and fans is winning.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

56 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

My take.....Fine in...Easly out...Hall day today.

Hope they all 3 recover and play Sat.....

If I was a betting man, that would be my take just based on how they looked after the injuries.

Who am I kidding, I am a betting man.