So, we'll be 2nd or 3rd in the West...

UNTexas

11 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

What bowl will we play in since we won't be competing for the conference championship? Sucks with all the hype but we aren't in the drivers seat anymore. Such is the life of G5 teams. Undefeated would have earned us the HOD bowl anyway I guess.

Just a little ahead of yourself.

The Sky is Falling !!! Oh no we suck again!!

Good grief, the team and coaches needed a reality check to temper their views. La Tech gave it to them last night. La Tech will trip up 1 to 2 more times. West is still up for grabs and this team can still easily win the West by playing smart. 

Edited by untbowler
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, untbowler said:

The Sky is Falling !!! Oh no we suck again!!

Good grief, the team and coaches needed a reality check to temper their views. La Tech gave it to them last night. La Tech will trip up 1 to 2 more times. West is still up for grabs and this team can still easily win the West by playing smart. 

The team “needed a reality check” is one of the more baffling ways fans rationalize losses. I agree the season is far from over, but if we did need a reality check this was far from the most ideal game to get it. 

It can happen but there will be nothing easy about winning the west and a large chunk of it is completely out of our hands. 

Even if we don’t win the west, hopefully we can hit the 10 win mark which would be another nice step forward for the program. 

• Lovely Take 2

4 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

The team “needed a reality check” is one of the more baffling ways fans rationalize losses. I agree the season is far from over, but if we did need a reality check this was far from the most ideal game to get it. 

It can happen but there will be nothing easy about winning the west and a large chunk of it is completely out of our hands. 

Even if we don’t win the west, hopefully we can hit the 10 win mark which would be another nice step forward for the program. 

I am thinking of the constant need to celebrate, as fans of course we are looking pie in the sky, but players need to remain grounded, that is coaches job. Keep players focused on the game, last night saw many plays on both sides that were not necessarily there first 4 games, that is what I mean about "Reality Check". Team still has some work to do, especially now if Easley and/or Fine could be sidelined.

I understand what UNTexas is saying.  within the conference, there is no one else that would challenge LA Tech except for maybe FAU.  even if they lose to FAU, that's one conference loss to our one conference loss, but they hold the tie breaker.  they would have to lose at least 2 conference games and we'd have to go undefeated the rest of the year to make it to the CUSA championship.  not impossible, but unlikely

• Downvote 1

I still believe. I believe we will win out. I believe LaTech will get beaten twice. I believe they will lose to FAU and USM. Lane Kiffin is too smart not to take advantage of the offensive mismatch he will have. We proved last night that we could run the ball on them. FAU with Devin Siingletary will certainly take advantage of that and will not force the pass like we did last night and USM, just always seems to find a way to beat LaTech. They have beaten them the last 3 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTexas said:

What bowl will we play in since we won't be competing for the conference championship? Sucks with all the hype but we aren't in the drivers seat anymore. Such is the life of G5 teams. Undefeated would have earned us the HOD bowl anyway I guess.

This team could still be conference champion, although obviously they need help.  I doubt La Tech runs the table, but even if they do; NT can still have a great season.  

HOD bowl is still a great opportunity.   They want NT and their thousands of fans, I can see a NT 11-1 or 10-2 team getting that bid.  

1 hour ago, UNTexas said:

The title of this thread and the post are ridiculous. What record did you think we would have at this point in the season?  Sit down, relax and ice that knee. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Venson said:

I still believe. I believe we will win out. I believe LaTech will get beaten twice. I believe they will lose to FAU and USM. Lane Kiffin is too smart not to take advantage of the offensive mismatch he will have. We proved last night that we could run the ball on them. FAU with Devin Siingletary will certainly take advantage of that and will not force the pass like we did last night and USM, just always seems to find a way to beat LaTech. They have beaten them the last 3 years.

I expect them to lose one of those, but not sure about both.  But it is still just the first week of the season and they don't hand out the trophy after one game.  Gotta' play 'em all.