After calming down

emmitt01

3 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

YES!   Well, Liberty is actually an FBS school, not 1AA/FCS, but still... YES!

And that Liberty squad that we stomped 47-7 last week went on the road this week and whipped New Mexico.

It's true that beating UNM is no major feat, but Liberty dominated, leading 42-10 at the half before calling off the dogs.

The beatdown was so thorough that many UNM supporters are wondering why they still retain a football program.

• Upvote 2

I've always been a proponent of the good vs bad "problems to have" school. Last night, losing to a lesser but more disciplined team in a game that mattered a lot, enjoying the fact that Blue Lot traffic is still borked, noting that we came up 700 short of a sellout and people in the stadium from start to finish - all I saw were good problems to have. 

A decade ago, I would have traded anything for a packed stadium with overwhelming North Texas chants. Possibly even a 1-11 season just to finally get that sort of atmosphere. I'm sad we lost, but damn glad at where we are. Now let's regroup and hang 70 on poor UTEP.

Edited by Legend500
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This is kind of where I am at. We have 1 championship to compete for, just 1. It's the conference championship that is rated by sargain the number 10th FBS conference...of 10. We definitely hurt our odds of winning arguably the 10th best conference championship (8th in my eyes). 

Last season kind of put into perspective with FAU what our ceiling is. Though FAU had some ugly early losses last season, they were the hottest G5 team by season's end playing the best football in the country. Their reward?  A home bowl game vs the Arkon Zips I believe. We could rattle off 7 straight end up not having even a division crown to our name and probably play in the Toasted Bread Bowl sponsored by Nutella vs the University of who gives a shit in desolate X poor state. 

The sad truth. We're no longer in the driver's seat, and a special season is off the table. Last night was a missed opportunity that we'll feel for a decade.

• Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

The sad truth. We're no longer in the driver's seat, and a special season is off the table. Last night was a missed opportunity that we'll feel for a decade.

A special season is off the table?  Some of you have really raised your standards, an undefeated season is off the table. 

The best season NT has ever had is not yet off the table and that is pretty damn special.     

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

37 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

A special season is off the table?  Some of you have really raised your standards, an undefeated season is off the table. 

The best season NT has ever had is not yet off the table and that is pretty damn special.     

Realistically speaking, we’re on pace for more wins than last year, but the same end result. A middling bowl matchup. 

57 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes a special season is off the table except for the slight possibility of still getting to the CUSA championship game (and winning it). It would be awesome to get to 10 wins, but if we can’t win the conference there will ultimately be very little difference between this year, 2013 and 2017. It is what it is. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, meangreenlax said:

True, we're no longer in the drivers seat, but the rest of this post is full of shock value. 

11-1 isn't a special season?  10-2 isn't special?  Heck, with our recent history back to back 9 win seasons is pretty special.

And honestly, we're going to be sitting here 10 years from now saying, "Man, we still haven't recovered from that loss to LaTech back in 2018."?  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

1) Did we win a title?
2) Did we win the bowl game?
3) Do we have more wins than previous season?

We're still fine to do 2 of those.  All 3 can still happen.  CFB is crazy.

I don't relate to this "big bowl game or nothing" mantra that's being tossed around, but it's your choice to have it.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Yes, Emmitt!

I was almost worried about you when I saw you at half time at the  concessions area & we opinionated as to what we'd been seeing in the 1'st half with both of us being equally frustrated--like most all in an almost filled to the brim stadium were, but you have given this the right perspective. Thank you.

Amazing to me is how all that could go wrong went wrong (with a proper nod to La Tech who came totally prepared to concentrate on what they had to do) but with all that we still only lost toward the end on a play that could have even been the winning play.  La Tech knew they had just dodged a long trip on Interstate 30 back home to Ruston.

We are going to a bowl game & probably at a bowl versus a school more known to most all college football fans coast to coast.  

Strangely enough, North Texas is known more nationally today because of a trip to Fayettville & a play that went viral on one major network (NBC) that I saw,  every cable TV sports show &  piped into every Americans TV room who watch sports. 

The  Texas Aggies gave our win over the Hogs even more validity to those who have compared our scores.  I understand that Bowl people notice those kind of things. To some in the USA in remote places, we are the new kid on the block fixin' to move up the NCAA totem pole.   That Green, Green  Kool-ade of home tastes so great.  (Sing it for the MG Nation, Tom Jones). 

GMG!

GoMeanGreenLogo.jpg.008b9d4cc9af835812df08b1cca1fb8d.thumb.jpg.68eb068aa105e807ded8c68325e167af.jpg.b0e326ec3af96e811094d8dd23a5185f.jpg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Those saying college football is borked are not wrong.  The 4 team playoff is the worst thing to ever happen in college football.  I'll not come off that stance.  

Eff the power schools.  Eff em all fricken day long.  They are evil.

Still, yesterday was a great day and bittersweet all the same.  I wouldn't support another school and am not going away anytime soon (Good Lord willing).  And LaTech is a school I definitely like being associated with.  They are tough, smart and get more out of their resources than almost anyone else in the country.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, UNTexas said:

We have a great school, people, and facilities but if we win every game or lose every game, it's all meaningless. We could have been undefeated and still would be playing at a run down crappy HOD bowl. College football is starting to lose me because our games are exciting but meaningless.

Oh well, at least I cancelled my trip to El Paso next week. 

I hate this attitude. Give up after one loss.  What would you have to say if the team had this attitude?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I stayed quiet over the weekend because I was pretty frustrated about the whole debacle, but I agree with @emmitt01 that if any of us had been asked a year ago about how we'd feel about the situation we're in now, we'd be pretty excited about it.  

I can't put this game on the kicker, though I admit I sorely missed Trevor Moore.  If he were still on the roster, this game was a W, but it's not fair to put the mistakes made by the team after somebody apparently put a giant cup of stupid in the Gatorade dispensers in the 2nd quarter on the kicker. 

I'm mostly frustrated that I think the division is lost to us, and the prospects (slim as they were anyway) of a NY6 bowl are completely gone.  

So I'm left not sure where this team should have its goals set for the remainder of the season.  

Maybe the 10 win mark?  That would be nice, but we'd still have to nearly run the table with possible hurdles in Southern Miss, UAB, UTSA, and FAU.  Tough road ahead.  

We'll surely go bowling, but once there's a loss, what's the difference between one early December Tuesday morning bowl and another? 

When this cooler head prevails, I have to admit that I expected too much too soon.  This team is lights out better than last year, we're making progress, and I can't believe for one second that Littrell and company are going to stagger into UTEP with a hangover and screw it all up even more.  

Whether people want to call gloom, doom, and end of days or not, I had at least twenty people come up to me on Saturday and ask what my Cherokee UNT shirt meant.  Most of them were either first time attendees, or hadn't attended a game in this century.  I got to tell them about Mason Fine and other P5 schools who wish they had him right now.  It may not have been his best night of production, but damn if he didn't show a hell of a warrior fight throughout the game, playing to the crowd, and never giving up.  We got to showcase a new UNT mentality even in loss, and I'm proud of that. 

Edited by oldguystudent

It was all there for the taking.   
NT was going to be favored in every single game for the remainder of the year.   
Now, we're going to need help from conference mates to win our division, while needing to remain perfect the remainder of the year.

The season isn't over, and I firmly believe we're going to get to double-digit wins, which will make this year special, for sure. 

But the "what-could-have-been" will stick with me for a while...  ESPECIALLY since we were absolutely the better team on Saturday.  And the UAB game has now become CRITICAL to win if we're going to try and challenge for the West Division crown again.

17 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Realistically speaking, we’re on pace for more wins than last year, but the same end result. A middling bowl matchup. 

That's life as a G5 school.

15 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

We are going to a bowl game & probably at a bowl versus a school more known to most all college football fans coast to coast.  

Considering bowl invites aren't due out for at least another two whole months, this is a pretty bold statement to make.

Edited by UNTFan23