The 2 point conversion was no good.

NorthTexan95

For those at the game apparently the angle you saw made the 2 point conversion look good.   However, the television replay clearly shows it was short by a foot or two.  If you want to complain about the refs, don't use this play.  They got it right. 

Edit:  how does this get downvotes?  Geez ... don't kill the messenger. 

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 10
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 4

Just now, NorthTexan95 said:

For those at the game apparently the angle you saw made the 2 point conversion look good.   However, the television replay clearly shows it was short by a foot or two.  If you want to complain about the refs, don't use this play.  They got it right. 

It warranted a review, period. 

Had this been a SEC 2:30 game on CBS this game would've been finger phlucked by about 10 different angles within seconds of the live play and then at least two TV timeouts for the refs to come up with a definite conclusion.

However, it's lil Ole UNT...so the "F em" method was used. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

16 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It warranted a review, period. 

Had this been a SEC 2:30 game on CBS this game would've been finger phlucked by about 10 different angles within seconds of the live play and then at least two TV timeouts for the refs to come up with a definite conclusion.

However, it's lil Ole UNT...so the "F em" method was used. 

Why did it need to be reviewed when they got the call right?  It really wasn't that close of a play.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Just now, NorthTexan95 said:

Why did it need to be reviewed when they got the call right?  It really wasn't that close of a play.  

By my eye, the did. But it was close to enough to warrant. Sometimes those ass cheeks don't touch the ground as soon as you think they did. Therefore, review just to be sure. Take the extra 2 minutes to be positive in your on the field decision. 

23 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

If this is the case then I'm sure it was reviewed.  I actually thought ALL scoring plays were reviewed.  

21 minutes ago, NT93 said:

If this is the case then I'm sure it was reviewed.  I actually thought ALL scoring plays were reviewed.  

I never thought of the extra point being a scoring play even if there's no score.

However, it really doesn't matter.  The rule in college football is that EVERY play is reviewed.  On any play if the replay official thinks it needs a second look then he will stop the game.  Therefore, it was reviewed and the replay official let it go ... which was the right call. 

4 hours ago, NT93 said:

This.  If you watched after the play, Seth was barking at the officials and then the officials had their hands over their ears for quite a bit listening to the booth.  Then they said something to Seth and he immediately started walking down the sideline trying to get everyone pumped up.  Looked to me like they did review it.  

• Upvote 2

So you are saying that the video shows the ball didn't cross the plane before his ass hit the ground? It looked like he scored from my angle but perhaps he was holding the ball low. Is that what the video shows?

Looked like the play was supposed to be a pass.  It all happened pretty fast, but wasn’t Fine open in the end zone?  I thought Darden started to get the ball in throwing position then pulled it down for the run.  The replay in the stadium focused on the stretch to the end zone so didn’t get to see the whole play develop.  

2 minutes ago, keith said:

Looked like the play was supposed to be a pass.  It all happened pretty fast, but wasn’t Fine open in the end zone?  I thought Darden started to get the ball in throwing position then pulled it down for the run.  The replay in the stadium focused on the stretch to the end zone so didn’t get to see the whole play develop.  

Yes...it was textbook the Philly Eagle play they did in the Super Bowl with Nick Foles. Difference was our guy thought he could track star it to the end zone instead of lobbing it into the end zone. 

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, keith said:

I guess he was so open that they decided to try it again from midfield (at least it looked like the same play to me).  That's the play Mason came up lame.  I'm assuming a pulled hamstring, but my diagnosis from 50 yards away may be considered unreliable.

Probably gonna get down votes, too, but @NorthTexan95 is right. The TV showed his knee was down, and he was inches away. If he had stretched, he'd have probably made it, but the risk of fumbling right on the goal line was too large/the tackle happened so quick, he didn't have the chance to think about stretching his arm out. 

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

Probably gonna get down votes, too, but @NorthTexan95 is right. The TV showed his knee was down, and he was inches away. If he had stretched, he'd have probably made it, but the risk of fumbling right on the goal line was too large/the tackle happened so quick, he didn't have the chance to think about stretching his arm out. 

Yes. And in all fairness to Darden, at that point in the game, you know he was highly conscientious of protecting the football. 

• Upvote 1