Attendance

DeepGreen

15 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

And because we lost all of these things, we have lost any chance of seeing another 30K+ crowd at Apogee this season.

That post was a bit melodramatic to come up with such a light "impact."  If we had won what game left on the schedule do you think would have hit 30k?

We all knew going into last night's game that it was going to be the highest attended game.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, MattMakesLoans said:

That post was a bit melodramatic to come up with such a light "impact."  If we had won what game left on the schedule do you think would have hit 30k?

We all knew going into last night's game that it was going to be the highest attended game.  

I don't view the loss of an undefeated season as a "light impact". North Texas has been playing football for over a 100 season, and we have never posted an undefeated season. The impact of this loss carries much weight.

Assuming we beat UTEP next week, we would have returned home to face Southern Miss with a 6-0 record. And remember, Wren has been very creative with the promotions. I absolutely believe that USM game would have had a real chance of selling out. But, none of that is in play now. That ship has sailed.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, MattMakesLoans said:

Seriously? Every game except maybe the Thursday night against FAU would’ve had 30k if we were undefeated. 

As for me, "What...ME worry?". I will be in my seat for every game. I support the First Amendment and everyone's right to express their opinion regarding attendance. Having said that, I will donate the following avatar to those who think their presence brings bad things to the program. Feel free to adopt it and perhaps consider being one of the dropouts.

joebtsfplk.jpg.9f947ebfd54ab6b8c377160b18e472e1.jpg

• Haha 2

I spent a lot of time in the art studio and am a season ticket holder for football and basketball.. might want to not paint with such a wide brush next time you evaluate the 'average student.'  This game was a setback but not  irrepairable.  Most enjoyed the game, but were just let down by the outcome.  50%of the teams who took the field yesterday lost.  Going undefeated is a near impossibility, so we just reload and beat UTEP.

• Upvote 2

I guess some think because of this loss, that the party is over? It’s just one loss, the program is in an upward trajectory overall. North Texas is way ahead of schedule at 4-1 and there are plenty of conference games to yet be played. 

GMG 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 2

Here's a small positive: I plan on bringing a group of my friends to either the next home game,  the FAU game on Thursday night, or both. So there's about 6 or 7 more people to add. We'll be loud and proud. People noticed the heart and passion the players put into this game, and there was real support from the fans. There's no way attendance will drop by 10,000. Couple thousand? Maybe. I also think it depends on how well the game is marketed and if we as fans encourage/invite others. 

Let's take it upon ourselves as fans to do something about it, even if you just invite a couple of extra friends. Sounds sappy and feel good, I know. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Seriously? Every game except maybe the Thursday night against FAU would’ve had 30k if we were undefeated. 

I seriously don’t believe that. We’ve had 1 crowd of 30k plus in over 100 years. Our Incarnate Word crowd was less than 20k after drilling smu. Being undefeated would have improved the crowd (maybe from 22k to 26k or 28k). I’ve been watching North Texas football for almost 4 decades. Lots of ups and downs but we wouldn’t have had 30k plus again this year. I want to believe we would’ve but I don’t. 

On 9/30/2018 at 1:15 AM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Have you had a conversation with your normal run of the mill UNT student in the last year or two? I have. And I can say, from my very small sample size, they aren't the biggest fans of football. Like, they will never be die hard dudes or donors. Haven't ran into any, actually. So, losing will push them back into the art studio or scarf weaving seminar. 

After talking to you I would prefer scarf weaving. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

I seriously don’t believe that. We’ve had 1 crowd of 30k plus in over 100 years. Our Incarnate Word crowd was less than 20k after drilling smu. Being undefeated would have improved the crowd (maybe from 22k to 26k or 28k). I’ve been watching North Texas football for almost 4 decades. Lots of ups and downs but we wouldn’t have had 30k plus again this year. I want to believe we would’ve but I don’t. 

We haven’t been undefeated this late in the season with a home game in almost 60 years. This would not have been anything remotely resembling NT football history. If we can somehow roll into homecoming 7-1 we may get close to 30k despite the loss. 

On 9/30/2018 at 12:15 AM, NTXAlum2016 said:

Do you guys just sit at home and jerk off to pictures of apogee with fans in the stands? They played their asses off and it was a great event to attend. I guarantee nobody left and said to themselves that this is the same old UNT losing football games. We’re 4-1 and any person who thinks this is classic UNT football is an idiot. 

I know the answer to this question. 

I'm with @Side Show Joe on this one.

None of it means the sky is falling, or NT can't still do great things...   but a few days ago we were all talking about "Sellouts", and the "undefeated" word was being used often.

The loss on Saturday changed that.  Sadly.  
Does it mean we wont have big crowds?  No.  We can still have pretty big crowds.
Does it mean we can't finish out the year 13-1?  No.  We still have opportunities to make that happen (we'll need some help from our conference mates to make the 13 part happen though).
Does it mean we've forgotten about the past?  Heck no. I know I haven't... but aren't some of you the same ones who keep saying not to measure against a crappy past and to raise standards/raise the bar?  If so, Stop. Bringing. Up. Portland. State.
Time to soar higher.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, largekfcbucket said:

This team, if we stay healthy and learn from our mistakes, should very well finish 9-3 or 10-2 in the regular season. I'm sorry if that's not good enough for some people, but 12-0 seasons don't just happen. It's next to impossible. 

I think a lot of people got a taste of what big time CFB is like, and it tasted delicious. 

• Upvote 5
  • Ray 1

I don't think most fans who are rational  and live in this universe ever truly believed we were going to be undefeated this year. I also never believed we would sell out every game if we continued undefeated. What I think most are trying to point out regardless of a 2 point loss is ALL THE HYPE that was placed on this game (unveiling statues...breaking ground on IPF....national recognition etc..) WAS a lost opportunity. But with that said I give Wren and others thumbs up.........

" No guts no glory"

Patience, grasshopper, patience. Attendance and season ticket holders are both growing. Some games will have more or less fans than the last, but, overall, the trend is very positive.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

The doom and gloom in this thread is laughable. This loss will only affect attendance for the USM game. And even then I bet we have around 23K. If we're 7-1 going into HC we'll have 29K-30K again. 

I think weather could affect attendance more than a 2 point loss to the Bulldogs.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1