Attendance

DeepGreen

The game tonight was more entertaining than the SMU game. People left at halftime of SMU game. They stayed in their seats until the last play today. I think the people you're referring to care more about the entertainment of the event they attend than the team having lost one game. UNT put on a damn good show tonight. It's just too bad they couldn't get a win

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, largekfcbucket said:

I'm sorry, but the whole "Kiss that attendance goodbye" attitude is exactly what WILL kiss that attendance goodbye. 

We lost by 2 points to a good team. We'll crush UTEP next weekend and return home with a 5-1 record. Sorry, but the hype train doesn't slow down because of one loss. The students have absolutely shown up every home game this year and that's going to continue. 

I'm not kissing any attendance good bye. I'll be there through and through. Buuuutttttt....be real. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I'm not kissing any attendance good bye. I'll be there through and through. Buuuutttttt....be real. 

As will I. 

Sorry, but I don't see this loss alienating half the fan base. We have 4 blowouts wins and a 2 point loss in a game we could've won by 15-20 had our coaches done their part. There is a buzz in Denton and in the state around this program. Go beat UTEP by 30 and I guarantee the USM game is packed. Not 30,000, but we're going to be okay.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, largekfcbucket said:

As will I. 

Sorry, but I don't see this loss alienating half the fan base. We have 4 blowouts wins and a 2 point loss in a game we could've won by 15-20 had our coaches done their part. There is a buzz in Denton and in the state around this program. Go beat UTEP by 30 and I guarantee the USM game is packed. Not 30,000, but we're going to be okay.

You’re too optimistic. All of the buzz that this team has gathered over the past 4 games is completely gone with this result. 

Most of the intrigue from casual/distant fans was the ability to go 5-0. All the free media coverage from the punt return  to the undefeated season will evaporate. You’re not going to see or hear a single thing out of any major DFW outlet about any of the UNT games from here on out.

Back to the 15k actual, 20k announced attendance numbers. I hope I’m proven wrong . 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 8

4 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

You’re too optimistic. All of the buzz that this team has gathered over the past 4 games is completely gone with this result. 

Most of the intrigue from casual/distant fans was the ability to go 5-0. All the free media coverage from the punt return  to the undefeated season will evaporate. You’re not going to see or hear a single thing out of any major DFW outlet about any of the UNT games from here on out.

Back to the 15k actual, 20k announced attendance numbers. I hope I’m proven wrong . 

giphy.gif

15k for a 5-1 team? 

Edited by largekfcbucket
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, NTXAlum2016 said:

Y’all are the only people I know to complain about game attendance after a sellout crowd. Can we create a separate forum for complaints about attendance  to UNT sporting events? 

Well, you just need to see pics of what attendance can quickly turn into. 

Wish I had a side by side of UTEP 2013 VS WKU 2015. Fickle fans turn on dimes.  

• Upvote 2

Some of you are being such dramatic little kids about this. I brought a first time attendee with no ties to UNT except he lives in Corinth. He had a great time and walked away talking about wanting to come again, and he’s not really even a sports guy. Building a program takes time and if you thought a 4-0 start cured past years of apathy at UNT, you’re not paying attention to how other programs were built. Does it sting? Sure. Is it the downfall of trying to rebuild this program? Heck no!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Yes, the loss was a missed opportunity to build attendance immediately further. But it also was a competitive game until the end, keeping people on their toes. I am sure it was not a disastrous experience in the stadium. It's not the kind of loss that has people like "I ain't gonna come back anytime soon", like some of these losses in the past were. They may not all come back for the next home game, but it will not take years till they come back. If UNT is still anywhere within the running for a conference championship, many will come back even this season (provided the weather is ok).

Apart from that, a lot of the same folks were there for the SMU game, so they have already experienced this going the other way too. That is the good part of having more than one>28k game a year: It doesn't all ride on made or missed play.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

The crowd was bigger and louder than SMU.  Great atmosphere especially with La Tech fans and their band.  THAT is what college football in Denton needs to be every game.  Great job AD and fans!  Keep it up.  Keep coming.  This still is going to be a special season.

Unfortunately I have to have knee surgery so bring a couple of friends to make up for me the next few weeks.  Hope to be back for FAU.

GMG! Beat UTEP!

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

19 minutes ago, Talon90 said:

The crowd was bigger and louder than SMU.  Great atmosphere especially with La Tech fans and their band.  THAT is what college football in Denton needs to be every game.  Great job AD and fans!  Keep it up.  Keep coming.  This still is going to be a special season.

Unfortunately I have to have knee surgery so bring a couple of friends to make up for me the next few weeks.  Hope to be back for FAU.

GMG! Beat UTEP!

As if we don't have enough injuries, now are fans are starting to get injured.  Good Luck with the knee surgery.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

And you are way too unrealistic. This is a different program, team, administration than what we have had in the past. We will see a slight dip for the USM game but we were never going to sell out every game this year.  Homecoming at 19k?  You are delusional. It will be 25k plus if we are still a one loss team.  

@NTXAlum2016 is right on target. 

My wife is now talking about costs to go to the rest of the games this season.  She's a SWT grad (-not- Texas State, she's adamant about it), but she's been raving about how good the experience was and how much fun it was.  While the loss hurts, it was a great game to watch.

• Upvote 1

We live in Connecticut, so getting to games isn’t a car ride affair.  My daughter is a freshman at UNT so we came down for parents weekend.  My better half is the epitome of a casual fan and can’t understand why I keep buying season tickets.  She probably hasn’t been to a game in 20 years and wasn’t all that interested in going to this one.  Her memories are from a quarter to half full Fouts.

Part of growing a fan base is making people feel they are part of something bigger.  I could see the amazement in her eyes when we were walking around the hill and all the activity.  In a packed Apogee she started out more interested in the band, the cheerleaders, the dancers and general people watching.  By that last drive, she was jumping up and  down screening with the rest of us. The outcome was disappointing, but that’s how you build a fan base.  

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, largekfcbucket said:

I'm sorry, but the whole "Kiss that attendance goodbye" attitude is exactly what WILL kiss that attendance goodbye. 

We lost by 2 points to a good team. We'll crush UTEP next weekend and return home with a 5-1 record. Sorry, but the hype train doesn't slow down because of one loss. The students have absolutely shown up every home game this year and that's going to continue. 

No, it is an acknowledgment of of the truth.

Yes, we will still win games and go bowling. And, those of us that post here on the board will be there in two weeks when we play Southern Miss, and yes, the students will continue to show up in large numbers, but that isn't enough. There was a large number of attendees that are not students and are not regulars at games. A good amount of those will not be back. You can believe they will, but you will be proven wrong in two weeks. We were up 21-6 in the first quarter and on our way to a blow out win, and we blew it. There are consequences for that.

Last night we lost more then just an ordinary game....

We lost at least one player for the season.

We lost our undefeated season.

We lost our ability to control our destiny in C-USA.

We lost all of our votes in the Coaches and AP rankings.

We lost our positive coverage from ESPN and other national sports media.

We lost our positive coverage in the DFW media.

And because we lost all of these things, we have lost any chance of seeing another 30K+ crowd at Apogee this season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

2 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

We lost all of our votes in the Coaches and AP rankings.

And a slim chance at actually being ranked.  I believe #'s: 20, 22, 23, 24 and 25 all lost yesterday.  That most likely equates to five new teams being ranked.  We probably still wouldn't have gotten ranked, but...we'll never know.