FG Blocking

UNTLifer

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Why do our outside blockers just lean in putting their hands on our player next to them instead of engaging the outside rusher?  I have hated that since last year and now it costs us.  Somebody explain that "blocking scheme" to me.

What blocking?  I didn't see any on that last play.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, mgfan said:

I'm not sold on hedlund either.  There is a reason Arkansas let him go.  

Watching him kick for 3 years at Arkansas and then starting so well this season I thought maybe he had turned the corner, but when he hit the upright, I thought "Oh no, I have seen this before."  Then the last kick...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, keith said:

4th down, game on the line and enough time left.  I think you try  to pick up the first.  If you don’t make it, it’s obviously the game.  Pick it up and you get a few more chances (with a TO) to get a little closer.  Oh well.  

After we called the TO I thought that was the route to go, just an odd and IMHO wrong call to kick the FG after calling the TO

2 hours ago, untbowler said:

After we called the TO I thought that was the route to go, just an odd and IMHO wrong call to kick the FG after calling the TO

Nothing like icing your own kicker strategy. If he hits the kick it's easier to look past all the coaching flaws in this game. Miss the kick and the flaws start piling on top of each other. 

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Why do our outside blockers just lean in putting their hands on our player next to them instead of engaging the outside rusher?  I have hated that since last year and now it costs us.  Somebody explain that "blocking scheme" to me.

Thats how all field goal blocking is. You cover the gap to your inside to stop penetration. You can’t stop the guy on the outside. The D will always have a guy outside the wingman due to a holder and kicker, it’s a numbers game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Got5onIt said:

Thats how all field goal blocking is. You cover the gap to your inside to stop penetration. You can’t stop the guy on the outside. The D will always have a guy outside the wingman due to a holder and kicker, it’s a numbers game. 

We don't block anyone just lean in. BTW, that block was not Hedlund's fault at all. Lack of blocking was the problem on that kick. Everything seemed out of sync. For all we know, had he been given the time to get the kick off, that kick would have been perfect. 

11 hours ago, mgfan said:

I'm not sold on hedlund either.  There is a reason Arkansas let him go.  

I honestly would not count him out. It's football. Those things happen. It even happens in the NFL where you should have the best kickers. He has missed one FG all season and now we are ready to throw him under the bus. Sure it was a FG that we wanted him to make because we wanted the win. However, this loss was more than Cole Hedlund missing a 46 yarder. Defense was not getting pressure on the QB, injuries started to mount, turnovers, Ferguson being unblockable and Mason having to tun for his life. Graham Harrell forcing the pass when the running game was effective, etc. There were many reasons we lost, but Cole Hedlund missing one FG is not a time to give up on the kid.

• Upvote 2

The outside blocker is supposed to take the inside guy every time. This is true for any blocker on any offense. LA Tech just had two guys lined up on him and the line didn't adjust to the strong side. The blocker did what he was supposed to do. The effort looked bad, but he blocked the inside guy while the outside guy made the block. 

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

We don't block anyone just lean in. BTW, that block was not Hedlund's fault at all. Lack of blocking was the problem on that kick. Everything seemed out of sync. For all we know, had he been given the time to get the kick off, that kick would have been perfect. 

When the ball snaps, you take a step to your inside, interlocking your leg with the player inside you. Yes, you lean in and create a wall, you are not blocking an individual.  There will always be defensive players outside the wingman. It’s all based on timing. The snapper has to get the ball back to the holder under a certain time limit. This is all timed in practice and is more precise than people think. The kick has to be off in X amount of time before the outer defensive player can get around the wing to the kick. Sometimes penetration does happen inside. Players didn’t properly set their wall inside when this happens. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Venson said:

I honestly would not count him out. It's football. Those things happen. It even happens in the NFL where you should have the best kickers. He has missed one FG all season and now we are ready to throw him under the bus. Sure it was a FG that we wanted him to make because we wanted the win. However, this loss was more than Cole Hedlund missing a 46 yarder. Defense was not getting pressure on the QB, injuries started to mount, turnovers, Ferguson being unblockable and Mason having to tun for his life. Graham Harrell forcing the pass when the running game was effective, etc. There were many reasons we lost, but Cole Hedlund missing one FG is not a time to give up on the kid.

It was a 46 yd kick into a bit of a wind.  I think he over-kicked it a bit and pulled it left.

I don't think the block was his fault, may have kicked it a bit low, but I'm not sure.  Seemed like it was blocked so quickly, it wouldn't have mattered how high he kicked it.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I am aware, but we don't engage anyone with our block. We just lean on and place our hands on our teammates ass. I have never seen another team do this.  FYI, I understand blocking the inside gaps. I was a holder on FG/EP's for years. 

Seems like engaging would unlock the wall, creating a gaps.  As I understand it, the objective is to create an interlocked wall to give the kicker time to kick, not engage individual players.