Loss is on the Coaches

meangreenacct

Fine is our leader.  Players like him want to be out there and will us to the win.  I have immense respect for that young man.  If we had better play calling and had achieved that last first down, we would have won.  Rico is freakin' money.  Should have run a sluggo with him instead of that terrible 2nd down fly call.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

28 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

This

It’s a definite head scratcher. They had established Easly. Tech adjusted to the dump pass, but our line was still opening up lanes for Easly. It certainly looked and felt like GH got too cute with the play calling. Was he not watching Ferguson maul our tackles and blow off chip blocks to hurry, knock down, or sack Fine every time he dropped back? That was some Chaz-Green-Against-The-Falcons stuff. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Fine is our leader.  Players like him want to be out there and will us to the win.  I have immense respect for that young man.  If we had better play calling and had achieved that last first down, we would have won.  Rico is freakin' money.  Should have run a sluggo with him instead of that terrible 2nd down fly call.

Exactly.  Yeah, we were banged up, but had been moving the ball and had momentum.  The 2nd down call was HORRIBLE. We had already tried a long pass not long before to keep the D honest.  We needed to get that first down.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Felozano said:

There’s a lot of blame to go around. But...The coaches didn’t cause Torrey’s fumble, cause Darden’s muffed punt, or miss the original go ahead field goal.  Losses happen, it’s just unfortunate it happened tonight and all of the potential national exposure. Maybe this will bring the team back to earth and get them charged to run the table?!?!  GMG!

The coaches did cause the muff punt. With :38 seconds left in the half you grab your returner by the collar and scream in his face, "DON'T TOUCH THE DAMN BALL!" That play is 100% on the coaches. 

The absolute inept play calling is on the coaches. We were the better team with the better personnel and we let our coaches not take advantage of the biggest crowd in UNT football history. 

Damn shame. 

Expect 18k from here on out. Bank on Homecoming for a spike. 

Coaches dropped the ball tonight. Too posses off to go into detail. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

We’ve fielded a couple of punts inside the 10 this year and tonight we were way too slow in pulling the left tackle.  I think you have to let a kid try to step up and rise to the challenge but that second quarter was tough to watch.  As soon as we brought on Murray they moved 45 back to the other side.  Thought Mayfield handled him better.

The biggest thing tonight was that we didn’t just lose “The 8,” we got blown out in that stretch.  LaTech adjusted, made plays, and we didn’t.

5 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

We’ve fielded a couple of punts inside the 10 this year and tonight we were way too slow in pulling the left tackle.  I think you have to let a kid try to step up and rise to the challenge but that second quarter was tough to watch.  As soon as we brought on Murray they moved 45 back to the other side.  Thought Mayfield handled him better.

The biggest thing tonight was that we didn’t just lose “The 8,” we got blown out in that stretch.  LaTech adjusted, made plays, and we didn’t.

Absolutely.  Brammer was getting manhandled when matched up w/Ferguson 

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

1 hour ago, mgfan said:

There is no doubt we got out coached. 

I’m a 1977!LaTech grad and saw this and had to register on your site to reply to this.  

You did NOT get out coached. We win DESPITE our inept head coach. It was our players who pulled victory from the jaws of defeat our HC Skip Holtz was pushing the team towards.

You want stupid calls? We were ahead in the 2nd half, and just like we have done in every game for the last 6 years, it’s just run run run and hope we get a first down. That’s why we lost to y’all last year. 

No. Y’all have a good coach who has really turned your program around.

If your QB did not get hurt, you would still be undefeated. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, Heatrayguy said:

I’m a 1977!LaTech grad and saw this and had to register on your site to reply to this.  

You did NOT get out coached. We win DESPITE our inept head coach. It was our players who pulled victory from the jaws of defeat our HC Skip Holtz was pushing the team towards.

You want stupid calls? We were ahead in the 2nd half, and just like we have done in every game for the last 6 years, it’s just run run run and hope we get a first down. That’s why we lost to y’all last year. 

No. Y’all have a good coach who has really turned your program around.

If your QB did not get hurt, you would still be undefeated. 

He was hurt? If so, pull him. Because he was obviously not good enough to win tonight. 

But let's be clear...Our offensive play calling lost us this game. Your play calling, by your own emission is what it is. Our's is not. We typically have decent play calling. Tonight...We played into the hands of what your defense practically dictated like, "OK, they're in a 8 man box, let's run it. OK, they're playing man with a nickel cheating down...let's do a RB screen. OK, they're in dime...Let's run a 10 yd dig." That kind of BS ineptness is what we lost. Your DC won this game OR our offensive coaches lost it. Either way, shit play calling. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Tough game, but a 1 loss season is still attainable. NT could potentially have a magical season still. Learn from this and be prepared for next game. It just goes to show you how tough it is to go undefeated. NT will bounce back. 

1 loss season with the potential to be 2nd in your division. Sorry if I think that’s as bad as going .500. 

The team that showed up tonight is going to lose a lot more games without some kind of epiphany.

7 minutes ago, NM Green said:

And this coaching staff may get plucked by Texas tech. 

CAnt Beat la tech but big 12 here they come 

I think it may be a breathe of fresh air. I like this staff, and I'm not jumping to conclusions, but I think there may be a disconnect somewhere and I'm not sure where or what; but something. I can't quite table it, but seems just easily fall apart when the good isn't going. When adversity hits...like cliche coaches like to mumble about...We just kind of food up like a lounge chair. Outside of Army. Damn good fight in that one. 

• Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, Rudy said:

2nd and 2, in field goal range with 2 time outs left.....run the mfing ball.  Don't throw deep when your QB is immobile and has no time to set in the pocket. 

Or 3rd and 7 in the 2nd quarter winning 21-9 and LaTech is reeling and playing on their heels bailing out to stop anything sideline or deep aaaasaannnnd we go deep to the sideline. We worked the middle of the field with a minimalistic approach tonight...predictable of this staff. Feast or famine. Not Kelvin Smith on a button for a 9 yard gain and eventual 28-9 lead to put the game in it's pajamas. Told my wife right then and there, we're in trouble. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Am I the only one who hates how Mason was allowed on the field when he couldn’t take a single unencumbered step?

You can praise the guts of the kid but the bottom line is that you cant be effective when you can’t walk.  

Poor leadership on the part of the coaches 

Absolutely and I said it at the time.  Not only did his Mason's injury effect the pass game it effected the run game too.  No reason for the defense to stay disciplined run plays to protect against the bootleg or zone read.  If anything take Mason out for the 3rd and 1 play before the blocked field goal.  The back up is a mature smart and capable athletic QB; we've seen it.  

Also on the Darden muff punt. The only thing that makes me question the coaches about that is that he attempted to run on the field with the punt return later.  So to me that means Darden was told to field that punt or at least not warned against attempting a fair catch inside the 10 yard line.   (The best you can hope for is saving less than 9 yards of field position by catching it).  Cause if I were coaching muff or not, a fair catch inside the 10 gets you benched from the punt return team.  Also if you attempted the fair catch against explicit coaching directive and muffed it, you are not playing at all second half.  You are in street clothes with a coach diagnosed head injury on the sidelines.  We are too deep at offensive skill positions to tolerate bone headed decisions.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Ray 1

9 hours ago, meangreenacct said:

Had players out their in the 4Q that from an injury stand point had no place being out there. Completely kept us from executing our game plan. Shouldn’t have gone to the kick after the last miss. Got completely out game planed after the first quarter.

Completely agree.  La. Tech did an excellent job making adjustments after the first quarter and we did not counter their adjustments well.  

Yes, we can put some blame on the players on certain plays but our offensive scheme after the 1st quarter was terrible.  We were outcoached and outplayed by La Tech and still had a chance to win thanks to our defense.

Tough loss but still a great start to the season.  It's hard to win every week and La Tech is the best team we have played so far and probably will be for the rest of the schedule.

6 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

1 loss season with the potential to be 2nd in your division. Sorry if I think that’s as bad as going .500. 

The team that showed up tonight is going to lose a lot more games without some kind of epiphany.

NT obviously has the talent. Coaching got them tonight. They’ll fix that. LaTech will lose in conference play again. Book that. 

• Ray 1