*** OFFICIAL La. Tech vs. UNT GAME THREAD***

Harry

A bad roughing call on EJ, two pass interference calls because we don't look back for the ball, and poor special teams play killed us.  You can't give a team like La Tech breaks like that.  Extending drives and leaving points on the field killed us.  We will be fine, but we should have never lost that game tonight. 

I find it hard to believe La Tech committed only one penalty.  Why was Droopy Dog allowed to referee that game?  Saw quite a bit of holding they let go.  Hate the outcome but love how we continue to fight even when things aren't going our way.  An undefeated season was a dream back in early August, but if we are honest with ourselves, our most complete game was against SMU.    Time to regroup.  11-1 going in to a bowl game is within our grasp and I would be ecstatic if the season plays out that way.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

We now know the following:

We will not be ranked.

We will not win the conference.

We will not win the West Division.

There's no shame in going to the ServPro Bowl or whatever it is called, but at this point it really makes no difference if we go 6-6 or 11-1.  Time to just focus on building for next year and maybe just maybe winning a bowl game for the first time under Littrell.  Sadly, I think that's the only milestone that is possible this season.  At least mediocrity is way better than we were a few years ago.

11-1 is by no means mediocrity. 

What is with this board tonight? Crazy talk. 🙂

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Shanbor played in the blowouts and even if he doesn’t have the arm he has shown he is mobile. He and Smith could have run us down to a TD or a much closer FG. The coaches need to not make these mistakes again.

Agreed, when LaTech had that bad punt and Fine was already hobbling Shanbour should of gone in. He has shown that although he may not be as accurate as Fine he provides the ability to pull the ball and run.

Edited by RBTX
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Shanbor played in the blowouts and even if he doesn’t have the arm he has shown he is mobile. He and Smith could have run us down to a TD or a much closer FG. The coaches need to not make these mistakes again.

Exactly what I was thinking.  The change up with Shanbour running instead of passing could have been the change of pace to get is closer to field goal range.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Greendylan said:

We now know the following:

We will not be ranked.

We will not win the conference.

We will not win the West Division.

There's no shame in going to the ServPro Bowl or whatever it is called, but at this point it really makes no difference if we go 6-6 or 11-1.  Time to just focus on building for next year and maybe just maybe winning a bowl game for the first time under Littrell.  Sadly, I think that's the only milestone that is possible this season.  At least mediocrity is way better than we were a few years ago.

You don't think there is any difference in 6-6 and 11-1?  Wow.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, NT91 said:

UAB and FAU will take down La Tec.

NT needs to take each game at a time and good things will take place.

Hope you are right, but neither of those teams is terribly impressive to me.  Maybe FAU, but UAB?  I think USM has a better shot than UAB.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, NT91 said:

UAB and FAU will take down La Tec.

NT needs to take each game at a time and good things will take place.

That will likely happen.  I feel we shot ourselves in the foot more than la tech beat us.  I didn’t come away all that impressed with them. 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 1

There’s no way to spin this one as a positive, regardless of how the season is going. There’s almost nothing you can do the rest of the season that will garner national attention, which we sorely needed. This was a once in a lifetime chance and we blew it, no two ways about it. I’m usually optimistic about UNT Football but this was heart wrenching. The worst part was seeing all the fans there and knowing how many won’t be back. The bar has been raised, and losing to a conference mate we beat last year is going to set us back for a lot.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Uh...those fumbles were not bad luck, they were a lack of concentration. And the Fine injury was probably because of shitty blocking. 

It was a huge game and we totally choked.

I never said the fumbles themselves were bad luck. I was merely pointing out how much had to happen in LaTech's favor for them to pull out a 2 point win. I'm dissapointed in the team's performance and agree that contributed to Fine getting hurt.

Regarding luck, everything thing had to go wrong for us to lose this game, bad luck or not, and everything did go wrong. That, as a whole, is some bad luck.

• Confused 1

Sad about the loss but what is sadder we just lost the casual fan. I can think of 3 plays that cost us the game, personal foul that allowed their drive to keep going and the fumble of the punt at the 5 with 30 seconds in the half.  Why the player did not let it go is beyond me.  The fumble by our receiver down at our end of the field.

• Confused 1

Sitting in traffic getting out of here for over 45 minutes also makes me laugh at the ideas floated about expanding the stadium. Figure out how to handle 30k and then we’ll talk. Getting in and out of this game has been a joke, and if I were a casual fan I wouldn’t be back. It’s so frustrating to see one step forward and two steps back every time for this program.

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You don't think there is any difference in 6-6 and 11-1?  Wow.

I think there's a difference.  But, our postseason prospects will be the same.  That's not meant as a knock on the team, but the G5 reality is that you get one shot every decade or two to make some noise on a national level.  Hey, I'll still take bowl eligibility over what we've come accustomed to in the past, but this was a huge opportunity that was lost with that blocked kick.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Sitting in traffic getting out of here for over 45 minutes also makes me laugh at the ideas floated about expanding the stadium. Figure out how to handle 30k and then we’ll talk. Getting in and out of this game has been a joke, and if I were a casual fan I wouldn’t be back. It’s so frustrating to see one step forward and two steps back every time for this program.

Is that a UNT issue or a Denton streets issue?  The fans will be back when we return to Apogee.  Tell me the last time we played at home with a record of 5-1.  This is still a special season with a team loaded with underclassmen.  Either way, these are problems successful programs experience. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Is that a UNT issuemor a Denton streets issue?  The fans will be back when we return to Apogee.  Tell me the last time we played at home with a record of 5-1.  This is still a special season with a team loaded with underclassmen  

I can think of smaller towns with less infrastructure than Denton that make it work with way more people. Regardless, they could have anticipated this many people. I’ll admit I’m probably overreacting to all this but I have little doubt we will look back at this game for a long time and wonder “what if”. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, meangreenacct said:

To add insult to injury, it feels like hey are holding us hostage in the blue lot because I haven’t moved in 12 minutes

And they put cones up so you can't merge onto 35E South at North Texas Blvd until you go to the next on ramp past the light that is letting 3 cars through at a time. Was awful.  

• Upvote 1

No one is arguing against the fact that this is a special season and this is still likely a special team. The disappointing part is most G5 teams literally get one shot in most fan’s lifetimes to pull something really special. It usually takes a combination of things, the most unlikely of which is demolishing your “body bag” team because they’re in a down season. Those NY6 teams don’t have any trouble in conference until at least the championship game, and even then only if their opponent is also ranked, usually in MWC or AAC. With the changes coming in 2023 it’s likely the window to achieve that once lifetime opportunity is quickly closing. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Thanks 2