North Texas gear at Slovacek's in West

ipd054

Half my HS graduating class were of Czech descent.  Their parents still had the accent.  My oldest (late) sister married a Czech.  Great, hard working people. Czech women make the best kolaches.   

Many Czechs in the area I grew up were rice farmers and ranchers or.....(like my late dad) worked at Dow Chemical Company, Freeport, Texas.   

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Half my HS graduating class were of Czech descent.  Their parents still had the accent.  My oldest (late) sister married a Czech.  Great, hard working people. Czech women make the best kolaches.   

Many Czechs in the area I grew up were rice farmers and ranchers or.....(like my late dad) worked at Dow Chemical Company, Freeport, Texas.   

GMG!

And, REAL Kolaches aren't those Pig-in-a-Blanket Crap that Shipley's invented in the 60's.  Kolaches are made with Real Fruit...

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, NTSUEagle said:

And, REAL Kolaches aren't those Pig-in-a-Blanket Crap that Shipley's invented in the 60's.  Kolaches are made with Real Fruit...

Amen, Bro'!  REAL KOLACHES!  

My mother would pay good money to local Czech women to make kolaches and another bakery delight which they called a Tea Ring.

Ever heard of a Tea Ring, NTSUEagle?  Below is a Tea Ring.  Now I'm getting hungry.

No automatic alt text available.

• Lovely Take 2

24 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Amen, Bro'!  REAL KOLACHES!  

My mother would pay good money to local Czech women to make kolaches and another bakery delight which they called a Tea Ring.

Ever heard of a Tea Ring, NTSUEagle?  Below is a Tea Ring.  Now I'm getting hungry.

No automatic alt text available.

Yep, Plumm!  My Grandmother made one waaaaay back in the mid 70's.  Only time she made it.  We preferred the hand-sized ones, since we could eat them quicker! 

• Haha 1

Nice. Next time be sure to check out the pictures on the wall in the foyers main entrance. There’s 2 pictures of my grandfather when he worked for Nemecek Brothers in downtown West.  The pick was taken back in the ‘30’s.  Slovaceks now has the rights to the Nemeceks sausage recipe.  They do sell it in the meat market.  

• Upvote 1

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:58 AM, NTSUEagle said:

They are Klobasnik.   Kolache are the fruit pastries. Raised in Cameron, Texas.  Yak se mas!  

• Thanks 1