Great Star Telegram Story

Huff

A young man who would go on to become one of the most accomplished football players of all time settled on his school because he had a nice time on his recruiting visit; he liked the lunch in the union.

Thank goodness for the cooks over at the Union. I never ate at the Union. When I attended North Texas they kept the Marquis Hall dining facility open for the general student population to use. I ate there frequently and the food there was very good.

I'm a little surprised that they didn't take him over to Zeke's to eat since it was just across the street from the athletic offices (now the music annex). It looks like a student resident hall (#25), with no name, is located where Zeke's used to sit. 

• Upvote 1

The best blueberry muffins ever made came from the Union.  Also had a few turkey sandwiches from the bar that was located in the union.  I can't remember the name of the on-campus bar.   Times were different in those days (forgive for this) at the NTSU student union.

The Mean Green in was the most popular nightclub in town and I see the old location has been erased to make more room for UNT.  Giving 18-year-old students the right to buy alcohol was such a good idea.🤪  

• Upvote 1

A very nice story!  Do they still make the famous coffee cake at the union?

Also, I am not certain we qualified as a "little" school. I would think there were about 15,000 students at North Texas around that era.  That was quite large for that time.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Bout damn time!

Rick

FFR, I think WBAP (especially Hal Jay & the TCU play by play) Morning guys have us on their persona non-grata list.  me'thinks (they think) North Texas has just gotten a bit too much of their spotlight last few weeks.

The WBAP radio crew need to understand  that out of 7 million Metroplex citizens that about 6.5 million of us could care less about the TCU. Horned Frogs.  After all, aren't they Fort Worth's Home Team--not DFW's? :) 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen