NCAA should pay student athletes

Skipper

That featured image description... Maybe they should add when the game occurred. Your casual fan might think it's from a recent game, maybe this year, and find it unimpressive that our offense struggled so much when we're supposed to be 4-0.

"Featured Image: Sophomore wide receiver Terian Goree (3) receives a pass during the first drive against Middle Tennessee State University. North Texas went on to score on their first drive, however, they didn’t score again until the fourth quarter."

• Upvote 2

Want to play at an SEC school and get a top-notch education?

If you walk-on at Vanderbilt, be ready to pay almost $75000 per year.

If you're a football player on scholarship, you not only get that FOR FREE, you also get a stipend.

I guess that's not good enough for these guys?

I think the folks crying out for the extra money are a very loud minority.   Most players are extremely happy to have their college paid for while getting to play the game they love.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Want to play at an SEC school and get a top-notch education?

If you walk-on at Vanderbilt, be ready to pay almost $75000 per year.

If you're a football player on scholarship, you not only get that FOR FREE, you also get a stipend.

I guess that's not good enough for these guys?

I think the folks crying out for the extra money are a very loud minority.   Most players are extremely happy to have their college paid for while getting to play the game they love.

I think Ed O'Bannon had a legit case back in the nineties where UCLA was making millions off his image and name.  He's an extreme outlier.  Perhaps they should put in some kind of marketing royalty for stuff like that, but flat out payroll a la 1980s SMU?  Nah. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I think Ed O'Bannon had a legit case back in the nineties where UCLA was making millions off his image and name.  He's an extreme outlier.  Perhaps they should put in some kind of marketing royalty for stuff like that, but flat out payroll a la 1980s SMU?  Nah. 

Oh yes.  Ed O'Bannon was everywhere during that 90's UCLA run.
NCAA made a ton of money off of Reggie Bush & Vince Young back in the 2000's too.  Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, etc...

But it's also difficult to say, "You're the QB at Alabama & we're making bookoo bucks off of you because you're everywhere, so we're going to give you $100,000... but this guy is the backup deep snapper at Miami (OH), and he gets $0, because no one knows his name."
If it's better to give everyone an equal share, then the NCAA has already implemented this with the stipends each school can give.

Let alone any women's sports outside of UCONN basketball, or Olympic sports.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I know this is a college newspaper, but you would think they would know that NT loses millions of dollars on football versus they make money.

College football players already get room and board plus a generous stipend to play ball.  

This is talking about the NCAA playing players, not the school. It's right there in the title...

• Downvote 2

54 minutes ago, meangreenthirteen said:

This is talking about the NCAA playing players, not the school. It's right there in the title...

Reading the article, not just the title; it is really unclear what he is advocating.

A quote: North Texas football student-athletes bring in the most money for the university, especially in bowl games. But even though they generate the most revenue, they don’t get a dime ,even after dedicating long hours not only to practices but for their classes.

It seems that the above quote is wrong on a number of issues.   NT football players do receive stipends as well as a full scholarships.  Football does generate the most revenues but also much more in expenses which results in a big deficit.  Also many teams especially at NT's level lose money on bowl games. 

Assuming he is only referring to the NCAA, were are those funds going to come from.   The NCAA cash cow is the basketball tourney and those funds are used keeping the NCAA afloat and rewarding the basketball teams that play in that tournament.   Is the writer suggesting that money should go to other sports based on some formula and not the schools who play in the NCAA basketball tournament?  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I think if a player is able to generate money based on his abilities (football, artwork, youtube videos) he should be able to keep it. 

With the declining value of a bachelor's degree, the argument of that being the carrot at the end of the stick is no good.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

I think if a player is able to generate money based on his abilities (football, artwork, youtube videos) he should be able to keep it. 

With the declining value of a bachelor's degree, the argument of that being the carrot at the end of the stick is no good.

Weird, the price of education is skyrocketing but the value of it is declining.

they are getting an expensive education. I don’t wanna hear any talk about how they aren’t getting anything.  Not sure how I feel about them getting cash out if this; I will keep reading.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Weird, the price of education is skyrocketing but the value of it is declining.

they are getting an expensive education. I don’t wanna hear any talk about how they aren’t getting anything.  Not sure how I feel about them getting cash out if this; I will keep reading.

I guess a followup would be when does the school and player break even?

Play for us and we will give you a degree.

Bowl berths, CFP appearances/wins, conference championships, sales revenues - are those extra incentives that go beyond the I'll pay you with a degree if you play for us agreement?

Paying players is a bit of a toss up for me. I'd like to see someone actually do the research to figure out a lot of the details, kind of like what Withers940 mentioned above.

The thing I'd like to see changed right away is a player's ability to sell things unique to them. For example, if people are willing to pay Mason Fine $100 to sign a football, I think he should be able to do that. It's his signature, not UNT's, not the NCAA's, etc. Same goes for if Mason Fine can market himself to Wheaties and end up getting paid to be on a box of Wheaties, I think he should be able to be paid for that. Just my 2 cents.