The Hardline

greenminer

3 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

They’ve been very positive in their coverage this year. It sounds like they’re really rooting for UNT. 

Thats a good thing for local attention. 

Don’t they have the largest sports radio audience in the country? This is really, really good pub

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 1

Today's Mike's Mind segment on The Hardline was all about North Texas and specifically the punt return.  If I see it posted somewhere I'll put a link to it here.

It's not like nobody has ever wanted to root against North Texas...we were just irrelevant for virtually most of our history but we're now forcing people to talk about us and take notice because were legitimately good and we're getting some great mojo our way i.e. the punt return etc.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

If you listen to Littrell, they don't think of themselves as underdogs.

I’m not talking about what the team thinks or views of itself. I’m talking about what the sports media thinks and the storyline it will push. Hope that made better sense

Edited by Salsa_Verde

6 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Corby really sounded like he wanted to move on in that segment. 

I enjoy his remarks on music and entertainment, but when it comes to college sports, if it ain't Alabama/Oklahoma/giant P5 of the week, he wants nothing to do with it. 

Usually, I would agree with you, but he devoted a whole segment to UNT the week after we beat Arkansas. 

1 minute ago, oldguystudent said:

I believe it.  I completely missed it though. Only had this particular segment to go off. 

I was really surprised. Actually talked about Mason's great play, how our defense dominated Arky, and how much faster we looked. 

Corby said its impressive how fast the culture at UNT has changed and he expects we'll probably have some sellouts this year. 

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Corby said its impressive how fast the culture at UNT has changed and he expects we'll probably have some sellouts this year. 

Yeah I'd really love to believe this, but most of our fan base, especially the older fan base that lived through Dodge, McCarney, etc. have had their nether regions kicked repeatedly after good things happening.  They're basically one big, collective Skepty.  

If you really really asked most fans from those eras what they think, hook them up to a lie detector test, I'm guessing they'd admit they don't trust this, that our fan base is fickle, and that one loss in this will derail us back to our usual 18-19K averages for the end of the year.  

I really really want to believe that things are different now, I just need to see it first. I'll be there, as usual, will the rest of our Skepties? 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I was really surprised. Actually talked about Mason's great play, how our defense dominated Arky, and how much faster we looked. 

I don't think Corby knows his ass from a hole in the wall when it comes to sports, but he has given the Mean Green some love.  He was pretty heavy UNT on twitter the weekend of the Arkansas game as well.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, Stan R said:

Yeah I'd really love to believe this, but most of our fan base, especially the older fan base that lived through Dodge, McCarney, etc. have had their nether regions kicked repeatedly after good things happening.  They're basically one big, collective Skepty.  

If you really really asked most fans from those eras what they think, hook them up to a lie detector test, I'm guessing they'd admit they don't trust this, that our fan base is fickle, and that one loss in this will derail us back to our usual 18-19K averages for the end of the year.  

I really really want to believe that things are different now, I just need to see it first. I'll be there, as usual, will the rest of our Skepties? 

Totally agree. Having seen the Portland State fiasco in person, the irrational part of my brain is really expecting a regression to the mean, back to .400 football. I love what I'm seeing but I just can't get over that hump. I'll have to believe it when I see it.

Edited by meangreenlax
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Totally agree. Having seen the Portland State fiasco in person, the irrational part of my brain is really expecting a regression to the mean, back to .400 football. I love what I'm seeing but I just can't get over that hump. I'll have to believe it when I see it.

With who is in charge right now, I don’t see that happening. Actually a good chunk of their segment yesterday was about how smart that Joe Greene ad was and how many people we have that know what they’re doing now. I don’t just mean our current AD or coach, who I almost guarantee will both get poached. This starts at the top and Smatty has a job here for as long as he wants in my opinion. He has an entire vision for the university, with athletics being a major part, I don’t think we’ve seen before. With his local family ties, I don’t think he’s going anywhere either. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Right there with ya.  I have had battered spouse syndrome for years now.  Can I really trust the program now? Is this for real?  It does not matter though I will keep coming back.