What do you think about...

Green Crazy

It's been retired for 50 years.  I think that's pretty cool.  So I'm not sure what I think about someone wearing it this week.  Why not just keep that tradition going while still doing a throwback uniform this week?  It's not like every player gets to wear the 75 anyway.

But I'm sure they asked Mean Joe before allowing anyone else to wear it.  So I'm sure he's cool with it.  And if he's cool with it, then who am I to be upset about it?  

• Ray 1

2 minutes ago, Moobs said:

It's been retired for 50 years.  I think that's pretty cool.  So I'm not sure what I think about someone wearing it this week.  Why not just keep that tradition going while still doing a throwback uniform this week?  It's not like every player gets to wear the 75 anyway.

But I'm sure they asked Mean Joe before allowing anyone else to wear it.  So I'm sure he's cool with it.  And if he's cool with it, then who am I to be upset about it?  

Kinda my thoughts. I think it only makes sense because of the statue unveiling. It's an extra tribute provided Joe was good with it. Not sure I'd like an annual tradition. Although I'd get to like anything Joe wanted. LOL.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 2

3 minutes ago, Moobs said:

My only thought is that we're a school with few good traditions and this would be something to add to those.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

Story time: My wife went to Syracuse and they have a sacred number (44) that has been retired across all sports. It was retired after two other players wore it. It was Ernie Davis' number, who was the first African-American player to win the Heisman Trophy in 1961. 

All that being said, Joe Greene's number could have the same significance to our university as 44 for Syracuse. It'd be awesome to see it treated the same way at UNT. 

For reference: https://cuse.com/sports/2006/1/18/fb44bios.aspx?path=football

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

Story time: My wife went to Syracuse and they have a sacred number (44) that has been retired across all sports. It was retired after two other players wore it. It was Ernie Davis' number, who was the first African-American player to win the Heisman Trophy in 1961. 

All that being said, Joe Greene's number could have the same significance to our university as 44 for Syracuse. It'd be awesome to see it treated the same way at UNT. 

North Texas has four retired numbers.  Those are #28 Abner Haynes, #33 Ray Renfro, #55 Richard Gill and #75 Joe Greene.  I like what we are doing as a one time promotion, but would also like to see the department recognize these other players/numbers.  I fully understand that Joe Greene put us on the map and is the greatest DT of all-time and in the Hall of Fame, but Mr. Haynes, for example, broke the color barrier and was treated terribly by opposing teams, along with Leon King.  I love what Mr. Greene and his family have meant to North Texas, but I would like to see the following done at some time in the near future.

I would love to see a statue of Mr. Haynes and Mr. King together.  Sure, Abner Haynes was the focal point because of the success he realized at North Texas and with the Kansas City Chiefs, but these two men sacrificed and suffered greatly through breaking the color barrier in the late 50's.  I feel that their story should be put out there for all to read and a statue honoring them should be placed outside of Apogee.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Jason Howeth said:

You have a good wife. Grew up a 'Cuse fan. I still hate the Hoosiers for the '87 Final.

• Upvote 1

Retired Numbers are just that...retired. Never to be worn again,  in honor of the great individuals who wore those numbers.  In this one exceptional, once in a lifetime situation, with that great individual being present and on a day when he is being further honored, I can see it being done. JMHO.

• Upvote 3

I can't remember if I've ever formally proposed this here or if its always just been in my head...but years ago I thought of calling our defense the 75s and having everyone on that side of the ball practice in that number...much like the Black Shirts tradition at Nebraska. it would pay homage to Mean Joe while keeping his number officially retired. 

save for that idea...I think the school is handling this perfectly. Hambone is personally selected by Mean Joe for the first time in 50 years to wear that number on the day of his statue unveil. the whole moment should be retired as marketing/program-history appreciation 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I can't remember if I've ever formally proposed this here or if its always just been in my head...but years ago I thought of calling our defense the 75s and having everyone on that side of the ball practice in that number...much like the Black Shirts tradition at Nebraska. it would pay homage to Mean Joe while keeping his number officially retired. 

This would be cool.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick