The One O'Clock Lab Band hops aboard the Mean Joe Hype Train

Christopher Walker

The Lab Band once made an appearance at a NT football game. In the opening game of 1974 NT played SMU @ TEXAS stadium. Hayden Fry wanted to makes a big splash and put our best foot forward for the beginning of the season. The 1 O'clock Band performed pre-game on a stage set up in one of the corners of the stadium floor. While they performed their accomplishments were enumerated on the stadium scoreboard, including very complimentary statements that "Doc Severinsen (sp?) made about the band.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Ray 1

Remember that show in the eighties Dick Clark's Television Bloopers?  

I still remember this one.  Nine-year-old me thought this was about the funniest thing in the history of the universe.

Go to about 1:18 if the time thingamajig in the link doesn't do it for you: 

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

The Lab Band once made an appearance at a NT football game. In the opening game of 1974 NT played SMU @ TEXAS stadium. Hayden Fry wanted to makes a big splash and put our best foot forward for the beginning of the season. The 1 O'clock Band performed pre-game on a stage set up on one of the corners of the stadium floor. While they performed their accomplishments were enumerated on the stadium scoreboard, including very complimentary statements that "Doc Severinson (sp?) made about the band.

Alan Baylock and Doc Severinsen are good friends going back to when they worked on Air Force Airmen of Note albums together. 

Doc is still kicking it at 92 and played with the band earlier this year in an absolutely wild concert in Sherman.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Alan Baylock and Doc Severinsen are good friends going back to when they worked on Air Force Airmen of Note albums together. 

Would one of those "Airmen of Note" be "Letsgiveacheer"?

Doc is still kicking it at 92 and played with the band earlier this year in an absolutely wild concert in Sherman.

Sherman?

28 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

We have some high-level donors/alumni to Jazz Studies who run a fairly comprehensive Sherman Jazz Museum. The band performed two dates out there last year, once with Marshall Gilkes at Austin College, and the second with Doc at the Sherman Kidd-Key Auditorium. Nice space.

I praised them in an earlier post, but I have to add to it or it’s gonna bug me.    I really do salute this One O’clock Lab Band for doing this.  It’s a win-win for EVERYONE, including THEM!!!!!

All this positive direction with the winning, the upcoming weekend, etc. makes me think about where we came from, and FINALLY getting approval to build Apogee…Remember how there were these handful of students, protesting to vote “NO” on the referendum?  Many of them stating things as in, “I don’t go to football games, a lot of us don’t, so I don’t get why I should have to pay fees for something I don’t go to, yadda yadda yadda….” And a lot of us assumed it was music students…I dunno, maybe some were, so weren’t, who knows…I’m so way over it, forgive and forget and all that…

(I promise, this is not a bashing of the nay-sayers….)

But I do have to wonder for those people who thought the stadium was a bad idea, and those people who wouldn’t listen to us saying “ a successful football program benefits EVERYONE, because it’s easily associated/identified with the university…”, surely they’re taking notice of what the positive direction, and how it might be helping them, even if indirectly… Anyway, it’s so great, that a department, that’s not connected to Athletics, found a way to reach across the aisle , shake hands, and take part in the celebration of Joe Greene.  They certainly didn’t have to do it, so it say a lot that stepped up.  I would like to think that other departments would step up and pat him on the back as well.

If we could that kind of support from the City of Denton also, everything would be firing on all cylinders…

Thanks again One O’clock Lab Band…You guys are awesome!!!!!!!!!

• Ray 2
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I am going to get dinged for this...

But I didn't love the vocalist.

Other than that...AMAZING!

Interesting. I was gonna' down vote you at first since I thought she sounded a lot like what I'm remembering as the original version.

Then I listened to it again and do think she sounded a little flat, but I think it still sounds great.

• Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 9/26/2018 at 6:28 PM, meaniegreenie said:

I've posted this several times that we need to clean up the commercial before showing it again at the stadium.  The audio is embarrassing (and was worse in Fouts.) 

This is awesome and love the split screen too.

If they don't play this version at the game, I'm gonna' put my foot up somebody's a$$!!!

Also, this from a couple of years ago:

https://people.com/sports/mean-joe-greene-reunites-with-kid-from-hey-kid-catch-coca-cola-super-bowl-ad/

So, I'll say...GREAT JOB FOR PLAYING THIS VERSION AT THE GAME!