What is the next level?

Wag Tag

The Big XII is the pole that breaks or holds everything as is. If UT and OU decide to just keep things as they are, then I think the Big XII holds together for another 10 years or so. It wouldn't surprise me to see Texas and OU get a higher payout than the rest of the league's members, as an enticement to stay put. 

If it breaks, then its anybody's guess as to how things go from there. The leftovers could just add a few MWC and AAC teams and BYU to the mix. The Big XII could just get abandoned and the few teams left behind just go to the MWC and AAC. Or a whole new conference could get formed that is SW centric. NO matter what happens, there will never be a P6. Odds are much better that we get a P4 setup. What needs to happen is for the AAC, CUSA, and SBC to get their acts together and realize that regional conferences are the only way forward or G5 leagues to make a decent profit.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So what's our priority? 

Step up or Perfect fit?

I'm gonna guess TCU is glad they said hell with perfect fit. 

I think of two factors: regional teams/games, and Media Perception/contracts ("step up")

Some people want to play regional teams.
Some people want to play on TV for high prestige.

I don't get your TCU comparison.  They got regional teams and more TV prestige/money by making the jump.  It was def a no-brainer.  I was chiming in under the assumption that the B12 was not gonna be an option.

7 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I bring up TCU because they had a "play anyone anywhere" mentality.

They didn't give a damn about "regional rivals" because they had a bigger goal in mind. They went to the MWC because it bumped their profile....and then they went to the big 12. Now they had to win....and win consistently. But they had a big vision and now they're set.

Whenever I see someone say they want to be in a conference with UTSA because it's a good drive....I shake my head. I see that as small time thinking. We're not raising all this money and working this hard to be side by side with a UTSA. 

I feel like you're arguing against staying in CUSA, which I never suggested.  I said both the AAC and MWC would be a step up.

When TCU made the jump to the MWC in 2005, what was the profile of the AAC like? I speculate TCU's path to the B12 was a lot more straightforward.

10 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I feel like you're arguing against staying in CUSA, which I never suggested.  I said both the AAC and MWC would be a step up.

When TCU made the jump to the MWC in 2005, what was the profile of the AAC like? I speculate TCU's path to the B12 was a lot more straightforward.

I wasn't necessarily arguing with you in particular....my only point was in the "regional fit" vs "higher profile" argument (assuming you can't have both) I'll take higher profile. Some prefer "regional fit" I don't. I want us on ESPN as much as possible. I want high profile games. I want top 25 rankings. I want to be seen as attractive to big conferences.

CUSA is horrible. the leadership is horrible, the TV contract is horrible..It is what it is for now but I want big things for UNT and I think we're working toward that.

I'm not advocating for MWC necessarily but if we had a chance to go to the MWC, and the choice was go to the MWC or stay in CUSA....we would be fools to not jump to MWC. And if our leadership said "no we don't want to go to a higher profile conference so 2,000 fans can drive to San Antonio to watch us play an 8 year old start up"....I would question our leadership and what their vision is for our program.

Now the OBVIOUS perfect scenario for NOW would be the AAC. We get the best of both worlds of regional fit and higher profile. But if I had to choose between CUSA and MWC I don't even hesitate.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

They didn't give a damn about "regional rivals" because they had a bigger goal in mind. They went to the MWC because it bumped their profile....and then they went to the big 12. Now they had to win....and win consistently. But they had a big vision and now they're set.

Whenever I see someone say they want to be in a conference with UTSA because it's a good drive....I shake my head. I see that as small time thinking. We're not raising all this money and working this hard to be side by side with a UTSA. 

giphy.gif

• Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

I wont be surprised if the Big 12 gets fleeced, and goes to the AAC for replacements. AAC loses 3 or 4 teams, and MAYBE looks at UNT for a spot. With all the teams leaving, the American becomes CUSA 3.0. Would that really be an improvement?

We just need to win early and often, fill the stadium, and have fun. We are far from the driver seat in this game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I think TCU consistent winning had a lot more to do with their success than a stint in a Western conference.  

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

We need displace SMU as the Dallas College Team. We do this by winning (we get publicity) and we fill the Ap! University of Houston should be our goal. They are also the one we will want to follow to the next conference.

If they’re Dallas’s College Team, it’s by sponsorship/money cuz it sure as hell ain’t fan attendance.

• Upvote 1

We need to concern ourselves with passing $mut and making a step up on our own terms. Big IX, AAC, or MWC, it doesn't matter. We need to make ourselves wanted in any of these conferences. We don't need to be focused on being $mut's replacement in the AAC. That is the #olddenton line of thought. Make the conferences want us, without consideration of that "college" in Highland Park. 

• Thanks 2