What is the next level?

Wag Tag

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

Are we starting to see the monster? With the success and investment we are seeing in athletics what is the next step up in conference?

To me it would be the WAC or do we just sit tight for the realignment in 24-25?

By WAC I'm going to guess you mean Mountain West.

I personally think waiting for the next round of realignment is better as there is a much larger chance of staying in a more regional (and thus more travel friendly) conference.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

WAC, or MWC?

If MWC or AAC offers NT a spot prior to the upcoming shakeup after the Big12 TV deal is over, we need to take it.
Otherwise, we have to win where we're at and put ourselves in a great position to re-align with the Big12 leftovers when the dust settles.

Sure would like to at least see some 1-1 with New Mexico, CSU, SDSU... they are all closer than Liberty.

Mountain West has to be the way to go. It's unfortunate for our conference schedule, as we'd basically be flying to California/Idaho/Colorado/Nevada every away game, but so be it. We're already flying to Florida/Bama/Kentucky/Tennessee for a bunch of games, so it'd just flip.

AAC is fine, but they've got their DFW market team in SMU. And honestly, I like keeping the SMU game in non-conference just to get that extra win going into conference play, and destroy them when we can before they start conference play.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

Continued success on the field coupled with the impressive investment in athletics makes NT a much more viable candidate for a move up.   

However, the problem is where.  There are only two G5 leagues worth considering, the AAC and MWC.  Nether represents a substantial improvement over CUSA.    AAC has some nice teams but also a lot of poor ones.  It is doubtful that regional teams in that league would support NT in that move.  The MWC is just too far to be worthwhile unless additional closer teams were also added, not likely.  

Moving up to P5 status would be great, but I don't see that happening until a major reshuffle and even than it is a long shot.   The only chance that might work is if the Big 12 powers bolted and left some slots open.  

Realignment is as much about politics as performance.   I do think we have the leadership to play that political game well.  

The most likely shakeup may be to carve up the Belt, AAC and CUSA in to more regional compact conferences.  This should be a great benefit to all, however it would not constitute a move up.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

However, the problem is where.  There are only two G5 leagues worth considering, the AAC and MWC.  Nether represents a substantially improvement over CUSA.    AAC has some nice teams but also a lot of poor ones.  It is doubtful that regional teams in that league would support NT in that move.  The MWC is just too far to be worthwhile unless additional closer teams were also added, not likely.  

Moving up to P5 status would be great, but I don't see that happening until a major reshuffle and even than it is a long shot.   The only chance that might work is if the Big 12 powers bolted and left some slots open.

AAC and MWC DO represent a substantial improvement over CUSA. Over half of CUSA ranks over 100 in the CBS rankings, and are just terrible. Sure you get 3-4 in each of the other two conferences, but there are some really good teams there too. You don't get more than 2 teams that get respect in CUSA (currently FAU and UNT), which means the view of our opponents would be higher, eventually raising our reputation. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Eastwood Eagle said:

I think the next realistic level for us would be being on par with University of Houston. Basically a P5 level school in a G5 conference. Consistent winning records, bowl games, big recruits, solid TV for games, attendance around 35K-42K, periodic moments of being ranked,  big wins over highly ranked opponents, NY6 game, etc.. You get the point. 

Houston would be nice, but I would much rather be on par with Boise St. They are much more consistent, and have been for longer

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Houston would be nice, but I would much rather be on par with Boise St. They are much more consistent, and have been for longer

I'd go with either track, because it doesn't look like either is going away anytime soon. An example of a track to NOT follow would be Hawai'i. They used to be ranked each year, but a couple years after, they went winless and have been forgotten about. 

12 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I offered Houston as the example because they most resemble our situation. I think Houston's ceiling is our ceiling (i.e., if B12 doesn't want UH they certainly will not want a much improved UNT). I'm a fan of both UH (law) and UNT (undergrad). My dream scenario is both UH/UNT somehow land in a P6 next conference realignment. UNT is really starting to shape up well to be in the discussion. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

To me it would be the MWC or do we just sit tight for the realignment in 24-25?

Just say NO to the Mountain West.,  Terrible times for TV, terrible travel situations, no real rivals, etc., etc.  And, not sure it is a step up unless they add teams. Just don't see the attraction with the MWC. But, that's just me and my opinion.  I like conference mates where it is a fairly easy travel distance...even by car for our fans. Like LaTech, Rice, UTSA, etc.  AAC has some interesting teams to offer outside of the obvious SMU rival thing and not so far a travel challenge as the MWC. Again...just me.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 5

8 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Just say NO to the Mountain West.,  Terrible times for TV, terrible travel situations, no real rivals, etc., etc.  And, not sure it is a step up unless they add teams. Just don't see the attraction with the MWC. But, that's just me and my opinion.  I like conference mates where it is a fairly easy travel distance...even by car for our fans. Like LaTech, Rice, UTSA, etc.  AAC has some interesting teams to offer outside of the obvious SMU rival thing and not so far a travel challenge as the MWC. Again...just me.

I tend to agree. When playing out west, the scores come in late and are either ignored or forgotten by the end of the day. Difficult travel destinations too.  Slightly different situation, but Tex Schramm wanted the Cowboys in the NFC East because of better game times and better press coverage as a result of the times zone.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

A big problem is everyone is focused on just Football. All of our sports will have to travel to California/Idaho/Colorado/Nevada for away games and thusly, be situated with less than ideal start times.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1