Interesting take on SOS - SBNation Article

TheColonyEagle

• Résumé S&P+, which looks at a team’s season scoring margin* and compares it to what the average top-five team’s scoring margin would’ve likely been against that schedule. If the number is positive, that team is faring better then the typical top-five team would be. Instead of advanced stats or win probability info, I’m adhering to actual margins.

Hot damn.

So if I understand it correctly with our 11th ranking here... by this metric compared to the top five teams in the country, they would only score about 7-8 points more in their wins if they played the same schedule as us.

So while we have a comparatively weak SOS, the complete way we have dismantled our opponents puts us right there nestled against the top ten teams in the country according to Résumé S&P+. The way you win matters.

I’ll gladly take that, and am proud we lead the G5 in this stat. Next schools within the top 25 of our class:

Appalachian State, Ranked 14th

UCF, Ranked 19th

Boise State, Ranked 22nd

Fresno State, Ranked 23rd

Yes I’ve always wondered when people throw out: “you ain’t played nobody” well...what would a top 10 team do against that schedule? We’re beating everyone by 33+, would they win every game by 50?

this metric puts that into perspective. 

What they’re saying, is if a top 5 team played this schedule, they would only win by a TD more than we are 

Now if we played one of those top 5 teams, we would be more than a TD underdog, so every metric has flaws....but it’s an interesting take

• Lovely Take 2

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

More proof we need a true, 16-24  team playoff just like everyone else.

Rick

I'd like to see an 8 team playoff:
ACC Champ
B1G Champ
Big12 Champ
PAC12 Champ
SEC Champ
Highest Ranked G5
At-Large
At-Large

I honestly think that's all that's needed.   
The G5 team would have a huge following as all of the other G5 conferences' schools would likely be pulling for them to win.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'd like to see an 8 team playoff:
ACC Champ
B1G Champ
Big12 Champ
PAC12 Champ
SEC Champ
Highest Ranked G5
At-Large
At-Large

I honestly think that's all that's needed.   
The G5 team would have a huge following as all of the other G5 conferences' schools would likely be pulling for them to win.

And you would still have three SEC teams in the playoffs and two in the National Championship game.

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Possible.  But at least everyone "has a shot".

But I don't like the possibility of there being another "Alabama"; Not even winning their Division and yet played for and won a NC.  Makes any type of division/conference champion irrelevant.  "At large" should at least be a Division champion.  Granted, a one loss second place finisher in the SEC West would be a Conference Champion in most other P5 Conferences.

Edited by DT 90

One thing to also take into account is most teams like we have, put 2nd and 3rd stringers in 3rd and 4th quarters which don't truly indicate how dominant we could be for 4 quarters (It's surreal that I am typing this about us😮).

As for an expanded playoff.....I would love it but that's just not going to happen, at least not enough spots to allow more G5 teams.  Why would the Power 5 agree to it? It doesn't benefit them at all.

Euro soccer the 10 FBS conferences. Match up the 10 leagues in pairs of G5 and P5. The lowest ranked P5 in X conference gets dropped down into matched G5 conference. The highest ranked G5 team gets bumped up into matched up P5 conference each and every year. 

Then, 10 FBS conference champion playoff with the top 2 seeded teams with a bye. 

That's the quickest way to true parity. 

• Upvote 2