The Eliminator: Who is already out of the playoff race?

NorthTexan95

According to this article ... and common sense ... we're still in it ... barely.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24782181/already-playoff-race

Buffalo Bulls, Cincinnati Bearcats, North Texas Mean Green, UCF Knights and USF Bulls
Trending: EVEN
These programs, all undefeated, deserve better. Sure, they're alive -- but barely. Unless the selection committee dramatically changes its thinking about the Group of 5's merit, one of these teams or Boise State (see below) will get a premier bowl spot in Atlanta or Phoenix. And that's it. They won't receive consideration for the playoff. FPI says no team in this group owns better than a 0.1 percent chance to reach a CFP semifinal. If an undefeated team remains among the Group of 5 on Oct. 30, when the first playoff poll is released, watch its placement. Then watch, if that team or teams stay perfect, as one- and two-loss Power 5 teams leap them in subsequent rankings. You'll know what that means.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RiseUNT said:

If we go undefeated and get ranked and play a p5 team in the cotton bowl I would be ecstatic. Ny6 bowl is out of or control because a lot of things would have to fall right for us.

The Cotton Bowl is part of the CFP this year, so THAT is the one that's off the table for us.  We can go undefeated & not sniff a chance at the CFP.

However, the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar & Peach Bowls are all NY6 Bowls, and the highest ranked G5 team gets a spot in one of those.   Any would be amazing.

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Would y'all consider ROOTING FOR SMU on 10/6?

Personally, I root for every team on our schedule to have the best record possible except when playing UNT. We need our strength of schedule to be better and conference perception to be much better. Only way for those things to happen is for our opponents to have better records year after year.

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Personally, I root for every team on our schedule to have the best record possible except when playing UNT. We need our strength of schedule to be better and conference perception to be much better. Only way for those things to happen is for our opponents to have better records year after year.

Anything other than this is shortsighted. With the caveat of, if you are going to lose then I hope its in embarrassing/spectacular fashion (re: SMU).

Edited by Eastwood Eagle
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The Cotton Bowl is part of the CFP this year, so THAT is the one that's off the table for us.  We can go undefeated & not sniff a chance at the CFP.

However, the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar & Peach Bowls are all NY6 Bowls, and the highest ranked G5 team gets a spot in one of those.   Any would be amazing.

Was meaning at cotton bowl. The servpro first responders and police heart of the city dallas benefiting the poor and homeless bowel.

17 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Was meaning at cotton bowl. The servpro first responders and police heart of the city dallas benefiting the poor and homeless bowel.

Ah.  Gotcha.

I think NT would likely get another invite outside of the FirstResponderBowl if we happen to go 13-0 & still get passed-over on the NY6 bowl.  ESPN would pull strings to have us in a bigger bowl since they own pretty much all of them.

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Ah.  Gotcha.

I think NT would likely get another invite outside of the FirstResponderBowl if we happen to go 13-0 & still get passed-over on the NY6 bowl.  ESPN would pull strings to have us in a bigger bowl since they own pretty much all of them.

But which bowl? And we still haven't won a bowl since 13. 

I feel a ranked UNT team playing at the cotton bowl against a well traveling p5 would be the best scenario.

Our o-line is not ready for a legit top 25 team this year. 

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Let's go back to New Orleans again this year!!!

• Skeptical Eagle 2