TV Coverage Upgrade for Rest of Season?

Mike Jackson

I don't have any information on CUSA's TV contracts so I am wondering what is possible.  No offense to beIN Sports but they aren't in as many homes as other sports outlets I assume.  So if we keep winning could one of our regular season games be picked up on ESPN2, Fox Sports or ESPNU that is not already slated for those networks? 

Also is there any possibility our bowl game appearance gets on Flagship-ESPN, Fox Sports One, or even ABC?

Edited by Mike Jackson

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I had the game on ESPNU (I think it was) via Hulu Live. I had no issues streaming with Hulu Live but it was terrible on the WatchESPN app.

Do you believe there is a reason for that? Remember some 10- 15 years ago, you could see some movie on-line with the option to purchase a premium site that was faster. 

I'm amazed at just how bad our Tv exposure is seemingly year on year.  Yes I know winning has a lot to do with that but I see plenty of other cusa and sunbelt teams weekly that I scratch my head wondering what are we missing.  This year has been painful and has gotten worse since DTV dropped BeIN sports and we have three games there.  So frustrating in 2018 with sooooo many channels needing soooo much content we can't get more games over the air.  

I have faith in Wren and the team to make that change.   Winning a bunch this year well of course help.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SouthBendGreen said:

I'm amazed at just how bad our Tv exposure is seemingly year on year.  Yes I know winning has a lot to do with that but I see plenty of other cusa and sunbelt teams weekly that I scratch my head wondering what are we missing.  This year has been painful and has gotten worse since DTV dropped BeIN sports and we have three games there.  So frustrating in 2018 with sooooo many channels needing soooo much content we can't get more games over the air.  

I have faith in Wren and the team to make that change.   Winning a bunch this year well of course help.  

The BeIn thing is tough on C-USA and UNT is particularly hit. However before DTV dropped BeIN I liked that fact, as BeIN always treated C-USA like proper football, notn like ESPN does. I think however, that it is too early to predict how that one will end up, they may end up going back on DTV etc as they got power particularly with the soccer fans (but it doesn't look good for BeIN right now). Beyond that C-USA actually did better with the current deal than the last one, but yes it is super fractured and they did give up some exposure in return for cold hard cash. Not sure I can blame em. On top of that they were cautios by not making the deals too long.

I think part of it is that UNT itself hasn't won the conference in a while or didn't have a big win over a notable team in a while, and the TV- schedules are mostly made before the season. So this should get better next season. The other part was that none of our OOC-opponents had anybody really excited. IUW and Liberty are obvious, Arkie was obviously the best, but nobody expected them to compete for an SEC title this season and SMU was a questionmark with the new coach and the horrible bowl performance last season.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SouthBendGreen said:

About the only thing Wren and Neal can do is get us in another conference. Our conference games get the same treatment as other CUSA teams which is better the Sunbelt. The reason you see some other teams on this time of year is because they are primarily road games against power 5 teams so to it's on the power 5 conference's tv package as home team's conference always owns tv rights.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SouthBendGreen said:

Sling tv has BeIn. Personally I hated DTV 

13 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

About the only thing Wren and Neal can do is get us in another conference. Our conference games get the same treatment as other CUSA teams which is better the Sunbelt. The reason you see some other teams on this time of year is because they are primarily road games against power 5 teams so to it's on the power 5 conference's tv package as home team's conference always owns tv rights.

The only conference we could hope to get into that is higher up the totem pole is the MWC. And our fans have made it clear on here that they don’t want that at all, that they prefer CUSA because of closer travel. I would love the MWC, but I’m clearly in the minority on this...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

The only conference we could hope to get into that is higher up the totem pole is the MWC. And our fans have made it clear on here that they don’t want that at all, that they prefer CUSA because of closer travel. I would love the MWC, but I’m clearly in the minority on this...

I can see both sides. If it was MWC vs CUSA for a forever choice, I'd go CUSA. But I'd go MWC if I had the choice because it puts us in a better position for other future alignment changes in conferences because MWC is perceived better.

• Upvote 2

On 9/23/2018 at 12:02 PM, KingDL1 said:

My ESPN app on Roku was perfection crisp and clear

Someone said theirs worked perfectly after a reload

I watched on desktop on watchespn.com and had to refesh a couple of times, but other than that it worked fine.  I read somewhere that the desktop web player is outdated technology, so struggles quite a bit. 

I watched it on my TV via PS4's WatchESPN application, on my iPad via the WatchESPN app and my phone through the general ESPN scores app (which I guess just launches the same video player that is in the WatchESPN app).  Anyways, 3 different pieces of hardware, all on my home internet (TV on wired LAN, ipad/iphone via wifi) and all ran perfectly smooth.

On 9/24/2018 at 7:58 AM, VideoEagle said:

We cut the cable four years ago. Last time I looked you needed to enter a cable provider to use the ESPN app to get Live video although you could get updates otherwise. 

You are correct for ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app, but you now have the option to pay the $5/month for ESPN+ to get the games through the regular ESPN app.