Mike Gundy talks about why Oklahoma State didn’t offer Mason Fine

BIMG

Gundy should appreciate the national publicity he’s getting because he gets to even talk about Fine.

However tall Seth Littrell is is the same height as Mason Fine;  that is, If you saw the photo of the 2 standing side by side on the sideline at the Arkansas game.

Haven’t we all seen tall QB’s who play short?

Honest to God, we’re not asking Mason to dunk a basketball but rather throw TD passes.  Hellsbells! Some in the media are talking Heisman candidate for our favorite QB.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

So about an inch decided that Fine was starting for UNT as a freshman two seasons ago, rather than competing for the starting job this past off-season as a redshirt-sophomore at OSU. That’s actually been a hot topic around the Oklahoma sports community this season: With a quarterback battle in Stillwater, would Fine be the Cowboys’ starter this season? OSU is starting a former walk-on, however, Taylor Corneliusis listed at 6-6 compared to Fine’s 5-11 stature. Cornelius would have been on campus two years before Fine, backing up Mason Rudolph the past two seasons. 

Oklahoma City sports talk show host Jim Traber had a caller ask him last week if he thought Fine would be starting under center for OSU if that’s where he went. Traber, who played football and baseball at OSU, bluntly said no, saying Fine didn’t have the talent to compete at that level. The comment had Fine supporters irritated last week before Fine went on to throw for 281 yards and add two total touchdowns against Arkansas on Saturday.

Mission accomplished Mason Fine.  In one game last Saturday you made three major universities, one head coach and one statewide radio personality look about as stupid as stupid can be.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1

Playing Devils advocate (and grudgingly so, forgive me).

Mason had multiple passes batted down against SEC sized defenders last week, even if they are Arkansas players. More probably than he had in the last season (I pulled that stat out of my ass, could be wrong. probably ain't)

Obviously he still excelled despite this, given that he has unnatural talent for landing a ball on a pin head, but can you imagine him up against those sized linemen 8-10 weeks a year? Yeah, he'd still do great, because that's who he is. But it's still an uphill battle for anyone his size. Folks have succeeded in the NFL at that size, but it's just a rarity that you have to accept.

If anyone can be that rarity, I have 115% confident it could be Fine. 

Mason Fine is certainly a gifted player. But it is important to acknowledge our coaching staff who did roll the dice on him when on paper it was a risk. 

I'm just impressed that Littrell had his Oklahoma connections and that one coach reached out to give Mason one last shot. If we still had McCarney, Mason would unfortunately be playing Division II ball or standing on the sidelines at OK State and UNT would still be rotating QB's in and out each quarter to determine who was the least worst. 

Mason is the true definition of a success story. He's a good example of "Don't let anybody tell you that you cannot achieve something".

• Upvote 3

Go back and look at some of the spots he placed the ball in,.....many times on a no-step delivery.  At one point he threw off his back foot...(I counted) 48 yards to one of our WR’s a dime that got us to the 4.  Very few human beings can make that throw.....that many times with that accuracy.  

Hell...the 6’7” Cole Kelley couldn’t and  can only dream of ever completing one of those passes.

Mason simply has...”IT”.  He is an exceptionally gifted player to be able to do what he does.  There isn’t a team in the country he could not play for.  

Not one.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

Fine has played against the SEC twice and Big 10 teams.  Passes get batted on QB's of all sizes.  We batted one of Arkansas' 6'6" QB that led to an interception.  QB's throw in lanes, so  I think that is something that is overblown with Fine.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

23 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Go back and look at some of the spots he placed the ball in,.....many times on a no-step delivery.  At one point he threw off his back foot...(I counted) 48 yards to one of our WR’s that got us to the 4.  Very few human beings can make that throw.....that many times with that accuracy.  

Hell...the 6’7” Cole Kelley couldn’t and  can only dream of ever completing one of those passes.

Mason simply has...”IT”.  He is an exceptionally gifted player to be able to do what he does.  There isn’t a team in the country he could not play for.  

Not one.

Rick

This, and what makes him more special is that he is humble and critical of himself.  He doesn't bask in his accomplishments and listen to those celebrating his success.  He goes back to work and always finds something to work on.  He is never pleased with his performance.  Those traits will take him far.

Plus, there isn't a Big XII coach out there willing to take a shot on a 5'10" 165 lbs. QB.   They don't have to.

Edited by UNTLifer

Recruiting remains an inexact science.  There were probably numerous other quarterback recruits currently languishing on P5 benches that Seth and Graham would have taken over Fine, if they could have.  It's hard to blame the coaches who took a pass on him, because he was a risk.  I'm just thankful that he fell into our laps at the perfect time.

On the other hand, I can most certainly blame some knucklehead who tries to claim Fine "doesn't have the talent to compete at that level."  Can you imagine what he could be doing if he were surrounded by the talent on OU's or Okie State's roster?

14 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Recruiting remains an inexact science.  There were probably numerous other quarterback recruits currently languishing on P5 benches that Seth and Graham would have taken over Fine, if they could have.  It's hard to blame the coaches who took a pass on him, because he was a risk.  I'm just thankful that he fell into our laps at the perfect time.

On the other hand, I can most certainly blame some knucklehead who tries to claim Fine "doesn't have the talent to compete at that level."  Can you imagine what he could be doing if he were surrounded by the talent on OU's or Okie State's roster?

I think scheme has a ton to do with it too.
There's a reason Kliff Kingsbury, BJ Symmons, Sonny Cumbie, Cody Hodges & Graham Harrell were each huge successes at Tech.
Not saying Fine is only succeeding due to scheme, because I'm right there with @FirefightnRick in observing the insane throws he's making, regardless.   But the scheme is giving him multiple opportunities to wing it around & drive those stats up.

Not very familiar with OU's or OSU's receivers (although I know they're normally stacked), but Guyton & Bussey are pretty good receivers that, I believe, would be seeing time on the field at either school.

Mason is an exceptional person and and an exceptional player.  We are fortunate to have him as our quarterback and the face of our team.  We also have a corp of talented receivers to compliment our quarterback.  Our offensive line has performed admirably.  Barring injuries this year and next will be record breaking for Mason and the team. And our defense wow!  WIN GAMES!!!!

BEAT liberty!!!!

GO MEAN GREAN!!!!

• Upvote 2

He's not far behind Russell.  

Mason could gain a bit of weight and contend in the NFL. If he's got the talent and can make plays... who cares. 

I'm glad we have Mason. This guy has a bright future. You work with what you have. 

According to the internets Wilson is 5 11 and 206 lbs, Fine is 5 11 and 185.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not very familiar with OU's or OSU's receivers (although I know they're normally stacked), but Guyton & Bussey are pretty good receivers that, I believe, would be seeing time on the field at either school.

I was alluding more to the protection he'd be getting.