FAU Game on Thursday, Nov 15th at 8:30pm Worth It?

Talon90

Is having the FAU game on Thursday night at 8:30pm on a channel that many people don't have and going up against NFL and Tulane vs Houston (ESPN) worth it?

This could be a HUGE game for us but will attendance still suffer being such a late start and being on a Thursday night?

Will students turn out?

I will be there but definitely thinking of taking Friday off.😁

Packers vs Seahawks @ 7:20

THURSDAY, NOV 15, 2018
GAME TIME/SCORE TV LOCATION  
Toledo at Kent St. 5:00 pm CBSS Dix Stadium  
Tulane at Houston 7:00 pm ESPN TDECU Stadium  
FAU at North Texas 8:30 pm CBSS Apogee Stadium  
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

I think the crowd will be pretty good if NT keeps winning.  Will be rough for families with young kids, but this game could be the best game of the year. 

Also some like to knock playing on a weekday night, but there will probably be more people watching that game than other NT plays in regular season.  Great exposure.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I think the crowd will be pretty good if NT keeps winning.  Will be rough for families with young kids, but this game could be the best game of the year. 

Also some like to knock playing on a weekday night, but there will probably be more people watching that game than other NT plays in regular season.  Great exposure.  

Only if the game gets bumped to CBS...

• Lovely Take 2

Like said before.. it might hurt the families with young kids. I do not see the students having an issue attendance wise. It sucks, we aren't on ESPN too.

Overall, if we keep on winning and it doesn't rain. I think Apogee will be rockin! Back in 2013 when we were winning, we played Rice on Halloween on a thursday and it was pretty impressive attendance wise.

• Upvote 2

I'm not super happy about weeknight games at all, but this one will likely have a lot at stake.  As mentioned above, the Thursday night game against Rice in 2013 was very well attended and yielded one of the greatest UNT moments in recent memory -- The Stand. 

Since it's in November, I'll probably take Friday off and a nice long nap on Thursday afternoon. 

Wow, I thought that it was at 8:30pm eastern time.  I suppose it will help the traffic situation.  Doesn't matter to me - I have to take 2 days off to make a Thursday night game, no matter the kickoff time.  I make it a mini vacation.

A taste of MWC scheduling?

I guess they don't expect too many FAU fans to tune in anyway, so 9:30pm eastern time doesn't matter.

3 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

No, The MWC has said they aren't going to do the midweek games for tv anymore. They are counting on more home fans to make up the difference in tv dollars.

I was referring to the time, not the day.

17 minutes ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

I'd love to see the university cancel all classes that evening and try and get students to the game.

Most undergraduate classes are finished by like 4 or 5. For students its really just a matter of wanting to go. 8:30 is not late for your average college student.

15 hours ago, Talon90 said:
THURSDAY, NOV 15, 2018
GAME TIME/SCORE TV LOCATION  
Toledo at Kent St. 5:00 pm CBSS Dix Stadium  
Tulane at Houston 7:00 pm ESPN TDECU Stadium  
FAU at North Texas 8:30 pm CBSS Apogee Stadium  

Tulane at Houston is such a waste of a ESPN slot

No excuses. We will have known of day and time at kick for over 3 months. 

We very well could be undefeated and could be playing for the right to host CCG. Though I think Marshall unseats FAU for the east crown this year, but maybe not. A lot could be riding on this game.  Make plans now.  30k deep on Thursday on TV would scream big time. Especially if you consider the absolute garbage stadiums for the average Thursday games. 

12 hours ago, eulessismore said:

Yeah, the Halloween game against Rice was a very impressive showing.  And the students will never miss a chance to show up on national tv and say "Hi, Mom"!

Attendance was 22,835 and here's a picture of the home side and wing. Not very impressive, IMO. 

I think a lot of people exaggerate the crowd and atmosphere of that night due to the fact we #Hit6 and the awesome goal line stand.  

Rice2013.PNG

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Attendance was 22,835 and here's a picture of the home side and wing. Not very impressive, IMO. 

I think a lot of people exaggerate the crowd and atmosphere of that night due to the fact we #Hit6 and the awesome goal line stand.  

Rice2013.PNG

It was the student crowd that was big and loud. Students do not seem to mind the Thursday game.

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Rice played Hawai'i with an 11 PM CDT kickoff (it was 5 ot 6 PM locally in Hawai'i) this season.

Back when TCU joined the MWC, TCU got an agreement that limited the number of late starts for their football team. It was part of the deal to get TCU to jump because TCU did NOT like away games starting so late as it would hurt their local media support. It turned out to be something of a sore point the entire time TCU was in the MWC. Some of the MWC members - I think CSU and Wyoming, but I'm not certain - have said they would never make that kind of deal again. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

I know it won't happen, but...

I'd love to see the university cancel all classes that evening and try and get students to the game. Having a huge showing on national TV, we could also be ranked by this point if things continue down the same path. I typically don't like week day games as attendance is lower, but hey its national exposure lets gooooooooo!

Smatresk dismissed classes the last time there was a weekday evening game.

• Upvote 2