Iconic Mean Green Football Moments

3XNTGRAD

I was fortunate enough to be in the stands at Arkansas to watch Peter Pan fly, which got me thinking about the iconic moments in Mean Green Football that I also got to see in person. My list is below (approximate reverse chronological order). What is on yours?

- "The Return" or Peter Pan flies at Arkansas 
- The Drive versus UTSA
- The Heart of Dallas win over UNLV
- The Stand versus Rice
- The NCAA record scoring game (at the time) loss against Navy 
- The seven overtimes win against FIU
- The New Orleans Bowl victory over Cincinnati
- The amazing home game against New Mexico State to clinch our 2nd N.O. Bowl
- The Brawl at the end of the first half against SMU in 1990 and the subsequent win

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 3XNTGRAD said:

I was fortunate enough to be in the stands at Arkansas to watch Peter Pan fly, which got me thinking about the iconic moments in Mean Green Football that I also got to see in person. My list is below (approximate reverse chronological order). What is on yours?

- The Drive versus UTSA
- The Stand versus Rice
- The Brawl at the end of the first half against SMU in 1990 and the subsequent win

Great list.
I was at all but the Arkansas game, NO Bowl (I know) & was not even aware of UNT in 1990.
I left the FIU game early.  I did NOT leave the Drive early.

I'll add the game that turned me into a true Mean Green fan:
2002 UT in Austin.  I'd grown up a SUPER Longhorn fan. My uncle went there.   I was standing in the student section with some high school friends who went to UT, dressed in burnt orange, rooting against my school like a super-douche.  Prior to that, I'd been to a couple of games at Fouts, but never was invested. 
Watching the game unfold, specifically that defense just frustrate the heck out of them, my allegiance slowly turned.   And by the 4th quarter, I was openly cheering each Booger/Awasom/Kassell sack (including the ones on whoever backup dude was in garbage time after Simms left after being annihilated all day) and ribbing my friends.  They all were looking at me like, "What the heck happened to you??"   
That wasn't the last day I rooted for the Longhorns (VY had me jumping around in my living room in the Rose Bowl), heck I still kinda do, but my NT fandom was cemented that day & nothing else could usurp it.

• Upvote 3

I also grew up a Horns fan and was at that game in the visiting Athletic Director’s box. I had pretty divided feelings at the beginning of the game due to that lifelong fandom of UT, but the performance of our defense also had me pushing aside any thought of cheering for UT. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 3XNTGRAD said:

- The Drive versus UTSA
- The Stand versus Rice

LOL. I was there. That game was less "iconic" as much as it was a study in misery. I remember we stormed the field after that game. We less stormed it for the win and more because we were glad the game was over with haha. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, meanJewGreen said:

LOL. I was there. That game was less "iconic" as much as it was a study in misery. I remember we stormed the field after that game. We less stormed it for the win and more because we were glad the game was over with haha. 

My seats were around the 45 yard line, so I stayed put, but I enjoyed watching the die-hard crowd who remained and dutifully marched from one end of the stands to the other as they switched endzones after each overtime.

• Upvote 1

Woody Wilson The Pony Slayer

9/9/06

https://meangreensports.com/news/2006/9/11/North_Texas_Defeats_SMU_24_6.aspx?path=football

North Texas held an early 7-0 lead and then outscored the Mustangs, 17-6 in the second half. Freshman Evan Robertson made the big play on special teams, blocking an SMU punt that led to the first score of the game. The Mustangs had an opportunity to tie the game at the start of the second half but failed to convert the extra point after a touchdown reception.

Quarterback Woody Wilson came in the game midway through the second quarter and completed 8-of-10 passes, including a long of 14. His 33-yard touchdown run in the third quarter extended NT’s lead to eight points, 14-6.

Obviously kidding, but those who were there thought this was an iconic righting of the ship after a disappointing 2005 season

Edited by jdennis82
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, jdennis82 said:

Woody Wilson The Pony Slayer

9/9/06

https://meangreensports.com/news/2006/9/11/North_Texas_Defeats_SMU_24_6.aspx?path=football

Obviously kidding, but those who were there thought this was an iconic righting of the ship after a disappointing 2005 season

I was just thinking about this game. I remember being in the student section standing up the whole game when Woody turned on the jets for a 70 something yard TD. No one could catch him. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

"The stand" game was awesome. I still have that halloween UNT shirt you got with your student ticket.

The complete annihilation of SMU in Denton 2014 is one I was there for too. That was the game June Jones put in his resignation in afterwards.

gotta love the misprint....the 31th,,,,

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

- SFA 1994, not the most exciting game. A tie actually, but the tie won the conference and we earned our way back into D1 that season. 

4 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

The comeback to beat Oregon State at Fouts.

- That game was awesome. I was on the sideline and could barely watch the end I was so nervous. Still remember the party afterwards!

3 hours ago, meanrob said:

30-27 over Tech. Unreal.

See ya later McNeese State!

- Tech is one of my favorites as well. Great night to win in Lubbock. That game always sticks out as one the most fun games I've ever played in.

- Beating SMU so bad they fired their coach still makes me smile.

- The defensive stand against Rice was absolutely amazing. 

- The drive against UTSA I still watch in amazement. 

- Beating Utah State in 1997 on an epic last play to score and win 51-48 with no time left.

- Speaking of Utah State remember the towel caper of 1996? Hardly iconic but hilarious now.

- Arkansas win was over the top. Still can't believe we completely dismantled them.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, UNTexas said:

- SFA 1994, not the most exciting game. A tie actually, but the tie won the conference and we earned our way back into D1 that season. 

- That game was awesome. I was on the sideline and could barely watch the end I was so nervous. Still remember the party afterwards!

- Tech is one of my favorites as well. Great night to win in Lubbock. That game always sticks out as one the most fun games I've ever played in.

- Beating SMU so bad they fired their coach still makes me smile.

- The defensive stand against Rice was absolutely amazing. 

- The drive against UTSA I still watch in amazement. 

- Beating Utah State in 1997 on an epic last play to score and win 51-48 with no time left.

- Speaking of Utah State remember the towel caper of 1996? Hardly iconic but hilarious now.

- Arkansas win was over the top. Still can't believe we completely dismantled them.

I was at that 97 win over Tech.  Great football game.  Still remember our dline rocking Zebbie Lethridge (sp) all night.  That was also the game that immortalized Dunham's "Do you believe in the Mean Green" call.  But what stands out to me was the following morning.  My gf (at the time) was a tech student and we went to her local church for the Sunday service.  In the opening prayer the pastor of the church actually prayed for the Tech football team to get over such a devastating loss and right the season.  Maybe that's something he did/does after every loss, I couldn't tell you as that was the only time I visited that church....but I couldn't help but bust out laughing.  Funniest thing I've ever heard.  Got me in plenty of trouble, as you can imagine.

Was also at the 99 game (but went with fellow UNT buddies).  Walking up to the stadium before the game we were flipped off by a 3 fingered guy wearing a giant Pizza (Pizza hut mascot). I assume b/c we were wearing green.  Also one of my top 5 favorite away game moments.

Then I missed the game there in 2000 against Leach and jinxed the team.  😞

• Lovely Take 1

18 hours ago, ForneyGreen said:

Crushing Baylor 52-14 in 2003 in front of what was the largest home football crowd in school history

(before the greatness of our SMU beatdown this year ☺️)

Baylor is a terrible ungrateful school full of self-righteous, ignorant, bastard students. I hate that school with every fiber.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 2

Beating the MUTS in 01' when they rolled in to town as the big dog of the conference and their Hicks 4 Heisman campaign.  We were coming off a conference opening loss at ULM where RV supposedly attempted to fire Dickey but was overruled by the BOR.  We beat the MUTS, Dwone Hicks, their prized running back got tired of getting hammered by our D and was diagnosed with "Loser's Limp" in the second half and we won starting the long conference winning streak.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

As a relative newcomer, I saw The Stand, the HOD win, and The Drive live, and Peter Pan on TV.  

I'm gonna add getting June Jones run out of town as one of my favorite moments.  

Hopefully someday, I'll be able to add an SMU smackdown in Dallas, though I may restrict myself from going back -- I don't tend to react too well in their midst. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, greenminer said:

Miracle in the Desert

@FirefightnRick was there.  I was not.

I was going to mention that one too.

21 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Beating the MUTS in 01' when they rolled in to town as the big dog of the conference and their Hicks 4 Heisman campaign.  We were coming off a conference opening loss at ULM where RV supposedly attempted to fire Dickey but was overruled by the BOR.  We beat the MUTS, Dwone Hicks, their prized running back got tired of getting hammered by our D and was diagnosed with "Loser's Limp" in the second half and we won starting the long conference winning streak.

I was going to mention this one too. We were 0-5 and they were 5-0.  We shoudn't have won that game. But thanks to a massive thousand yard punt to pin them deep, we pulled out all the stops and won the game.

• Upvote 1